PDA

View Full Version : Question about mother board

aux9o
03-29-11, 04:15 PM
I am running a ASUS 95e3 Premium. When I got this board I was just tryin to get a computer together so I ordered this one thinking that it was made for SLI with nvidia gpu's. I bought a XFX GTX 280 when I built this computer thinking that one day I would get another one to run in SLi. The GTX280 are cheap on ebay now and after doing some looking one guy told me that I cannot run the sli stuff on this board. Is he right and do I need to buy a new board or what!

I used to be big into computers back 10 years ago I know enough to get myself into trouble nowdays! And I am tryin to get into the data crunching stuff thanks to Jeeprnovru.

DrPop
03-29-11, 04:29 PM
There must be another name for that mobo as well. Can you find any other markings on it? Is this a socket 775 mobo (which CPU is it running?). Does it have 2 PCI-e full length "x16" slots?

If you can't find any other names or markings on the mobo, please go here (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html), download the CPUZ file on the right (either 32bit or 64bit, whichever O/S you have) and then run it. Please report back with what it tells you in the motherboard field.
Thanks! We'll get to the bottom of this for you.

aux9o
03-29-11, 04:33 PM
Here is a link for it.

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=y0FpG1REOUaqwk2E

Here is the CPU Intel Core 2 quad q9400

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35365

Maxwell
03-29-11, 05:44 PM
I'm sure JPM will correct me if I'm wrong, but that sucker should run SLI just fine...

jeeprnovru
03-29-11, 06:00 PM
thanks for the props!

Dandasarge
03-29-11, 06:42 PM
I did some reading, 3 x PCIe x16 (blue @PCIe2.0 x16 mode, black @PCIe x4 or x1 mode) supports CrossFire Technology should work

Harley
03-29-11, 06:55 PM
It will work. Don't worry about it. :D

John P. Myers
03-31-11, 03:09 AM
It will work. Don't worry about it. :D

yep throw another card in there. it'll be fine. remember, if you're just number crunching, SLI is pointless. Only use that for gaming :) Just stick the 2nd card in there without using the SLI bridge.

jeeprnovru
03-31-11, 11:37 AM
I am running a ASUS 95e3 Premium. When I got this board I was just tryin to get a computer together so I ordered this one thinking that it was made for SLI with nvidia gpu's. I bought a XFX GTX 280 when I built this computer thinking that one day I would get another one to run in SLi. The GTX280 are cheap on ebay now and after doing some looking one guy told me that I cannot run the sli stuff on this board. Is he right and do I need to buy a new board or what!

I used to be big into computers back 10 years ago I know enough to get myself into trouble nowdays! And I am tryin to get into the data crunching stuff thanks to Jeeprnovru.

gpu using bastard!!! i started you on this and now you are whippin my ass!!

aux9o
03-31-11, 12:20 PM
:cool:
gpu using bastard!!! i started you on this and now you are whippin my ass!!

This is the reason that you need to finish your build!:cool:

DrPop
03-31-11, 01:01 PM
Hahaha! Oh man, reminds me of the good ol' days when SETI.USA was #1. Used be some serious whip cracking between members, LOL! :D=))
This is good stuff. I'm very glad both of you joined up. Light a FIRE under that man! ;)

You could easily put 3 GPUs in that board with no problems...er...other than the problems of 1. strong enough power supply
2. big enough case w/ adequate cooling

Which GPU did you end up with in that build (did you end up with the GTX280?), and which are you "maybe" thinking of buying for a second one?
Remember the cards do NOT have to be matched - so get a more powerful one for the second card, if you can swing it.
Please let us help with the selection - and definitely mention your budget! Not all GPUs are created equally, and even "higher numberd" cards don't always crunch more than a "lower numbered" card - it's a big marketing scam out there, the way they number these GPUs to get people to buy them.

Thanks for keeping us updated and we'll pitch in with any crunching knowlegde we have built up over the last couple years of GPU use.

aux9o
03-31-11, 04:25 PM
Here is my build it is 3 years old but still pretty good in my eyes!

Case
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1226&ID=1408

Power Supply
http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/modular-psus/professional-series-1/hx1000w.html

GPU
http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphiccards/200series/280GTX.aspx

RAM 4G
http://www.corsair.com/memory/xms-classic/xms3-ddr3-memory/tw3x4g1333c9dhx.html

Main Board
http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=y0FpG1REOUaqwk2E

CPU
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35365

Cooling
I have 4 120mm fans, 1 140mm fan, and 1 230mm fan

Hard Drives
2 Seagate 250 Gigs

I am watching ebay for another XFX GTX 280 to put in it at a good price. I game somtimes but not much. What is the diff between SLI and NON SLI?

Here is a cell phone pic of my PC
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z288/performancesolutions/moto_0176.jpg

DrPop
03-31-11, 05:53 PM
Here is my build it is 3 years old but still pretty good in my eyes!

Man, that is still a great rig! Who cares how old it is...that baby can crunch! What you need to do is detach from SETI ASAP, and start crunching AndrOINC against your buddy; or Primaboinca or AQUA...those are the best credits.

Then, attach to Prime Grid and crunch the Proth Prime Search (Sieve) project on CUDA with that sweet GTX 280. You will get some ROCKING credits. I can't say exactly how much, but several hundred thousand per day minimum. :D

Lastly, don't be too concerned about getting another GTX 280 for the second card. The thing is, for max crunching, you don't necessarily want them in SLI mode (not that it matters one way or the other - if you want to SLI, go ahead)...you could have 3 seperate GPUs in that monster and they could crunch till the cows come home. No need for SLI.

So, my point is really this with purchasing the second GPU: Let us in on a little budget figure - like what's the minimum $ amount you feel you should spend up to the maxum $ amount you *could* spend if arm was twisted, you know what I mean.
Then we can help you choose the absolute best card for that amount of money. There is no need to match them, especially if you can afford a better one now, LOL! :D

aux9o
03-31-11, 09:58 PM
well I dunno I was tryin to find a gtx 280 for around a 100.00 bucks. How are the new cards stacking up against the gtx 280? What one is the best bang for the buck that is out now.

joker
03-31-11, 10:08 PM
A question for aux9o, how many credits is that GTX 280 getting you a day and on what project?

aux9o
03-31-11, 10:17 PM
A question for aux9o, how many credits is that GTX 280 getting you a day and on what project?

Can you tell me how to check that? I can see how many I get with the cpu and gpu running but I can't tell how to read them apart.

joker
03-31-11, 11:10 PM
Ok, my first question is are you running both you CPU and your GPU on the same project?

aux9o
03-31-11, 11:37 PM
i did 86666 on primegrid and i think most of that was on gpu. but i did stop it a few times because the temps were aroung 78c. i dont even know if that is to hot for it i was just trying to be safe.

YoDude9999
04-01-11, 12:56 AM
I love it when I see someone getting stung a bit....hehehehehehe=))

On Edit: @ jeep........hahahahahahahha=))

DrPop
04-01-11, 01:16 AM
i did 86666 on primegrid and i think most of that was on gpu. but i did stop it a few times because the temps were aroung 78c.

Temp is perfectly fine for a GPU. I don't like to go much over that myself, but they are supposed to be safe even close to 100C - if you can believe that! (I find it hard to believe myself, but that's what the manufacturers say.)

About the credits - let PG run a couple days and see what you get - make sure you have PG set to CUDA only on that project. And ONLY select that project to run...let your CPU run something higher like AndrOINC, Primaboinca or AQUA.

Joker just got a GTX 465 for like $150, and he BIOS modded it to a GTX 470, and it crunches like 500,000 per day on that project! :D That's what I mean by make sure you get the right GPU for the $$$. You're going to spend the same amount of $$$ on electricity running them, so you want to be sure you get one that puts out good. (hmmm...do I see a metaphor there?) :D hehehe

joker
04-01-11, 02:19 PM
Why are my ears burning......:P

aux9o
04-01-11, 05:42 PM
Today I have been running Primegrid all day and I am showing 95353 and it is still going so I think ill do over 100,000 today!

DrPop
04-01-11, 06:06 PM
Today I have been running Primegrid all day and I am showing 95353 and it is still going so I think ill do over 100,000 today!

OK, that's pretty good - a little less than what a 9800 GTX+ will get in 24hrs.

But, that was kind of my point, I hope you see what I was trying to say now...you could get another 280 GPU for $100...and net yourself an extra 100K per day.
OR...you could save until you have $150 to spend, and get yourself a GTX 465...and net yourself (and the team) an EXTRA 500K per day!

All that for about the same electricity cost...;)

aux9o
04-01-11, 06:11 PM
OK, that's pretty good - a little less than what a 9800 GTX+ will get in 24hrs.

But, that was kind of my point, I hope you see what I was trying to say now...you could get another 280 GPU for $100...and net yourself an extra 100K per day.
OR...you could save until you have $150 to spend, and get yourself a GTX 465...and net yourself (and the team) an EXTRA 500K per day!

All that for about the same electricity cost...;)

I get what your saying. I need to sell my gtx 280 to Jeep for 150.00 and then buy the gtx 465! :)

I was looking on ebay what is the diff between the 465 & 470.

joker
04-01-11, 06:25 PM
I was looking on ebay what is the diff between the 465 & 470.

The GTX 465 got me around 360K a day at a little over stock settings (stock 700 MHz and had it running at 800MHz). The GTX 470 gets me around 570K a day with a pretty massive overclock (stock 607MHz and I am running it at 800Mhz). This is all I know.

DrPop
04-01-11, 06:34 PM
The difference is a lot of money in your pocket and BIOS settings. Joker tipped me off to this, and I've been reading lots of review sites about this.

It seems that nearly all GTX 465 cards are actually the same physical hardware as GTX 470, i.e. they have 10 memory chips, etc...but NVIDIA "turned off" some of the features in the BIOS to have a cheaper card to fill a gap in their market.

So...if you get a GTX 465, chances are VERY high that you can O/C it, and BIOS mod it by flashing the BIOS with a downloadable program and make it run like a GTX 470 - because the actual physical hardware is the same.

Believe me, I'm on the lookout for one in the price range I can afford as well - it will be the cheapest way to get our RAC back up where it needs to be! Imagine what it would look like if 50 of us that post here regularly all got an increased 500K per day! :D

Dandasarge
04-01-11, 07:21 PM
The difference is a lot of money in your pocket and BIOS settings. Joker tipped me off to this, and I've been reading lots of review sites about this.

It seems that nearly all GTX 465 cards are actually the same physical hardware as GTX 470, i.e. they have 10 memory chips, etc...but NVIDIA "turned off" some of the features in the BIOS to have a cheaper card to fill a gap in their market.

So...if you get a GTX 465, chances are VERY high that you can O/C it, and BIOS mod it by flashing the BIOS with a downloadable program and make it run like a GTX 470 - because the actual physical hardware is the same.

Believe me, I'm on the lookout for one in the price range I can afford as well - it will be the cheapest way to get our RAC back up where it needs to be! Imagine what it would look like if 50 of us that post here regularly all got an increased 500K per day! :D

By far the 465 is the best bang for the buck, they often run the same price as the 460's and can do all that crap Drpop said. its basically the 5850 of Nvdia except PG pays better then anyone else.

aux9o
04-02-11, 12:05 AM
I have 200.00 that I can spend on a GPU. I was thinking of getting a GTX 465 or 470 then selling my GTX280 on ebay and taking that money to buy another GPU. Do yall think this is the route that I need to go. Next question would it make sense to just spend around 300.00 on a better card and just run one newer card and sell the gtx 280 to recoupe the cost.

I could spend 1500.00 on new gpu but I am married and want to keep it that way at this time! SO... lol:D

DrPop
04-02-11, 01:52 AM
I have 200.00 that I can spend on a GPU. I was thinking of getting a GTX 465 or 470 then selling my GTX280 on ebay and taking that money to buy another GPU. Do yall think this is the route that I need to go.

YES! Get the GTX 465 and mod it. Chances are VERY high you will get a good modding and O/Cing board. The GTX 470 is not worth the extra money.
If you manage to sell your GTX 280 on Ebay for good dough, then buy a second GTX 465! :cool:

Next question would it make sense to just spend around 300.00 on a better card and just run one newer card and sell the gtx 280 to recoupe the cost.

NO. You will not get the return for your $ if you're on that kind of a budget. There is always a "sweet spot" for crunching. For example, a GTX 465 has a compute rating of 30x, and a "newer" GTX 560Ti has a compute rating of only 26x, and cost $100 more!
You're not after the latest "bells and whistles" BS that they are trying to sell you...if you want points, you're after cores, the bigger and faster the better.

I could spend 1500.00 on new gpu but I am married and want to keep it that way at this time! SO... lol:

LOL! :)) I can so relate to that. So can Mike and any of the other married crunchers on here! :D Don't do it. She's worth keeping around. Settle for the GTX 465 for now. As she watches you enjoy this hobby, and settle into it, she'll relent a little over time. She can get you a GTX 590 for your birthday next year when the price comes down, LOL! ;)

aux9o
04-02-11, 02:57 PM
I just won a evga gtx 465 on ebay for little over 150.00!!!:cool:

DrPop
04-02-11, 03:01 PM
Awesome! You are going to LOVE the points. What makes this even sweeter is the fact that you already have the high end CPU, MOBO, Case, and especially PSU...it's going to literally be a plug-in upgrade of like 500K / day when you get done with this beast! :D

Dandasarge
04-02-11, 03:11 PM
I just won a evga gtx 465 on ebay for little over 150.00!!!:cool:

jeep is going to be soo sad :(

joker
04-02-11, 04:15 PM
jeep is going to be soo sad

Guess he is just going to have to keep up. ;)