PDA

View Full Version : Free Computer

DrPop
04-20-11, 04:52 AM
With all the talk of free hardware...I'm wondering if anyone on the team could use this small rig, even for a son/daughter or other friend/relative. After building up these server boards, I'm just running out of room at the office even - 5 computers now and I have to let one go if I'm going to build up the second dual Opteron board from BOK.

Most of the parts in this are from a build up I did for my Dad years ago, so some sentimental "Smith family" background for you. ;)
Mobo: ASUS P4T-E
CPU: 3GHz Pentium 4
RAM: 1GB Rambus RAM
GPU: AGP Matrox Parhelia 256MB
HDD: 120GB 7200RPM
CD: CD-RW
Audio: Soundblaster Live! PCI card
USB: USB 2.0 PCI card + onboard USB
NIC: 3Com 10/100 PCI card
Case: Raidmax mid tower ATX Click here to see what it looks like - bought it at Fry's (http://www.frys.com/product/5782162?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)
OS: Your choice - Win XP Pro or Win Vista with CD/DVD & legit keys, or Linux.

Obviously it's an old P4 rig, but surprisingly fast for the usual stuff, even with BOINC running in the background. I've used XP Pro and even Vista on it, and it cruises pretty good for any Internet surfing, Word docs, PDFs, and even some Photoshop use.
Not going to net anyone a huge RAC, but it gets about 2,600 per day in Primaboinca. I suppose if one wanted to, you could look around for an ATI 3870 AGP version - I think that's the biggest card you could put in it. For normal use like Photoshop or CAD, though, the Matrox Parhelia is really nice.

Just figured I'd offer it to anyone on the team first, before I donate it somewhere local. Weighed it on the scale here at the office - comes in just under 16lbs, so I'm guessing around $20 or so to ship it. If you're pretty broke at the moment, we could split the shipping. Would just be nice for it to be used.
Let me know if anyone's interested, thanks.

GregK
04-20-11, 12:18 PM
dibs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will send you the cash this saturday

would like vista. it'll run 24/7 and i will order that gpu card too. next month.

i can retire the pink 700 mhz celeron now lol my daughter is to smart to use it she says its to slow lol ends up on mine usually. :)

DrPop
04-20-11, 01:28 PM
Oh sweet, this would be the perfect rig for your daughter, Greg! How old is she now, looking big there in the pic! Kat is growing fast...ah, second grade almost done already. I'd see how you like it with the Parhelia in there - it was a really nice card back in the day (like $450 nice) but of course is tiddly winks now. ;)
But for any little kid's online gaming and stuff - Disney.com, etc...works awesome still.
OK, I'll go throw Vista on it and report back in while.
I'm just so happy someone could use it. Would have been good for Kat, but I already built her the MilkyWay cruncher...:cool:

EDIT: Check you inbox soon - I will send you a PM about what you would like pre-installed. ;)

GregK
04-20-11, 04:12 PM
she is 4 5 in august. and this will be the perfect rig for her to learn more on.:) that gpu sounds cool im looking it up right now. a very generous offering since this is no slouch box in my book p4's are not dead yet. :) i might slap a dual 3870 in there....:D

Steve Bohlen
04-20-11, 07:12 PM
Dang...about 6 hours late. That's a nice rig for free, for sure. Very kind of you to share the wealth, Dr.

joker
04-20-11, 07:44 PM
I once heard a rumor that that is what team members do. :)

Dandasarge
04-20-11, 09:52 PM
I once heard a rumor that that is what team members do. :)

I'm waiting for the free dishwasher post, I might need a new one soon.

joker
04-20-11, 10:40 PM
I heard another rumor that wives love those! :D

DrPop
04-20-11, 10:59 PM
@ Steve - it is my pleasure to help in any way I can. Maybe you can get the next rig? ;)

@ Dan - LOL! :D I'm really...really...really on the edge of that one myself with all the recent upgrades! :-"

@ Joker - Did you start that rumor or was it....? =)):o

NJCaNS
04-20-11, 11:53 PM
@ Steve - it is my pleasure to help in any way I can. Maybe you can get the next rig? ;)

@ Dan - LOL! :D I'm really...really...really on the edge of that one myself with all the recent upgrades! :-"

@ Joker - Did you start that rumor or was it....? =)):o
Joker proved that wives who don't like dishwashers become ex-wives who get the dishwasher AND the house it's in.;)

joker
04-21-11, 12:21 AM
Better throw the wife IN the dishwasher! >:)

YoDude9999
04-21-11, 12:26 AM
I've a "Joker's MOM POWER SUPPLY" that works as good as any dishwasher I've EVER seen! REALLY!

Yo-

joker
04-21-11, 12:28 AM
Butt you need a washing machine for her to sit on........

Spin cycle...........