PDA

View Full Version : Milkyway: testing new credit policy on nbody workunits

RSS
04-29-11, 04:00 PM
I finally have BOINCs new credit policy implemented for the nbody workunits. It's to the point where I need to test it live. If you're having any problems with the nbody workunits being validated incorrectly, or being assigned weird amounts of credit (note -- the new credit policy is adaptive so the credit awarded can change over time, and it might take awhile to stabilize), this is the place to let me know. Once I've gotten this debugged and working correctly, we'll have a days of double credit as promised for all our recent outages; and to make up for any weirdness in testing the new credit policy with the nbody workunits. So I'd like to thank everyone for their patience in dealing with us getting everything updated and working correctly these last few weeks. --Travis

More... (http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=2384)

DrPop
04-30-11, 03:02 AM
So, are we all taking wagers? What do you think, credits going up or down? ;)

Dandasarge
04-30-11, 03:27 AM
he was talking a credit increase 2 weeks ago

Fire$torm
04-30-11, 03:43 AM
So, are we all taking wagers? What do you think, credits going up or down? ;)

I would wager an Antec 1000W PSU to the down side if I had the money to PAY up. But since I don't, well.... :P

IIRC the whole reason for the new credit scheme is due to all the mambi pambi CPU crunchers on MW crying "Unfair Advantage" given to GPU work. @$##$%#$ all.

Shadow
04-30-11, 08:18 AM
They're supposed to be giving us a couple of days of double credits to make up for their big screw up a few weeks ago. There was about 2 days worth of crunching that went down the toilet with their server. Still waiting on that, but looks like it'll be soon. After they go back to normal credits, I'll be putting my GPU's on Collatz fulltime.

DrPop
04-30-11, 12:27 PM
They're supposed to be giving us a couple of days of double credits to make up for their big screw up a few weeks ago. There was about 2 days worth of crunching that went down the toilet with their server. Still waiting on that, but looks like it'll be soon. After they go back to normal credits, I'll be putting my GPU's on Collatz fulltime.

I can't stand the drama either. I just gave my HD5870 to Kat for her rig, and she is really stoked! That 4870 she was using used to get me close to 100K per day. Now she's lucky to get like 60K. Had to give her a little boost in her favorite project. ;) I'm sure she will ask if she can get on here and tell everyone when she thinks about it.

Crazybob
04-30-11, 02:29 PM
My son had founf with his 5850 that he was already getting better credit on collatz than MW. If they adjust down, then all GPU's belong to Collatz!

Bryan
04-30-11, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know what kind of credits you can get with the new app on MW with a GTX 570?

Mad Matt
04-30-11, 07:30 PM
Nbody will not run on GPU (as far as I know), so I would suppose only CPU credits are concerned. %%-

And really, I also would be curious to know how much CUDAs get. Estimated it cannot be much since their SP/DP still is lousy, but maybe Fermi changed a thing or too. Never came to test though.

Fire$torm
04-30-11, 08:10 PM
Nbody will not run on GPU (as far as I know), so I would suppose only CPU credits are concerned. %%-

And really, I also would be curious to know how much CUDAs get. Estimated it cannot be much since their SP/DP still is lousy, but maybe Fermi changed a thing or too. Never came to test though.

Not trying to start a fight here. I believe you are mistaken about the nbody wu's. Unless the project admins removed them of course. When the nbody work first came out, the big issue was that the HD 48xx series cards and below could not crunch them because of the OpenCL app that MW was using for nbody. At the same time MW had stopped putting out the older wu's so ATI crunchers were left high and dry.

Bryan
04-30-11, 11:36 PM
Actually I probably shouldn't have asked in this thread because I really don't care about the Nbody and Cuda.

The reason I asked is that it mentioned MW doing the 2x credits and I was wondering whether it was worthwhile moving the 570s off of PG and onto MW while they are running the higher credit ;)

I'm new to Cuda and don't have a clue as to what they can do on any project other than PG.

Shadow
05-01-11, 01:30 AM
They're in the process of testing the 2x credits on the Nbody CPU work units right now. Hopefully that means that they'll be rolling out the 2x credits on the GPU WU's soon.