PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some feedback on these

Shadow
05-10-11, 05:46 PM
Looking to see what everyone thinks about this combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583&Tpk=MSI%20P67A-G43%20%28B3%29
with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

Not looking to get too fancy, just wanting more PCIe slots mainly.
SW3 is on it's way in bits and pieces. That's Secret Weapon #3. Now no longer a secret. :p

DrPop
05-10-11, 05:53 PM
...That's Secret Weapon #3. Now no longer a secret. :p

LOL! :D You're about as good as hiding a hardware purchase as I am - not very! :)):((

To me, you pegged the "bang for the buck" CPU in the Sandy Bridge lineup. Perfect cost / performance ratio. Easily hangs with my X6 AMD, but burning considerably less watts.

The mobo, though...hmmm...have to think about that one. Are you the kind of guy who would ever only run (2) really high end GPUs, or would you be tempted to add a third one sometime? :D
I say that because I don't really see how you could run (3) GTX 590's or HD6990's on one rig - the dual GPU boards are just too power hungry and hot now.
But...if you were into, say GTX 570's, 580's or etc, you may be tempted to fill a 3rd PCI-e slot someday. :o;)

Fire$torm
05-10-11, 05:56 PM
Looking to see what everyone thinks about this combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583&Tpk=MSI%20P67A-G43%20%28B3%29
with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

Not looking to get too fancy, just wanting more PCIe slots mainly.
SW3 is on it's way in bits and pieces. That's Secret Weapon #3. Now no longer a secret. :p

Nice hardware. MB has good warranty & nice feature set. Good price too \m/

Shadow
05-10-11, 05:57 PM
That's what got me into this mess. I bought 3 6970's to run a triple set up. It didn't work out, the center one ran way too hot. So I went with these to throw that extra 6970 in, and maybe get one more later.

DrPop
05-10-11, 06:07 PM
So I went with these to throw that extra 6970 in, and maybe get one more later.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense, I will have to yank the DrPop mobo out of the HAF 932 case if I want to use my 3rd PCI-e slot as well. I can see where it may get a little problematic. ;)

OK, so 2 PCI-e slot mobos...that one's not too shabby. I would be tempted to look at an ASUS / ASRock or a Gigabyte, though, because of the higher power phase to the CPU. JPM can probably tell you which model(s). MSI was stuck at 4phase, while ASUS, ASRock and at least some Gigabyte boards had 8 phase - this was on the AM3 platform, but...maybe Sandy Bridge CPUs draw so little juice that doesn't matter any more?

John P. Myers
05-10-11, 06:14 PM
yeah that board has the minimum power phase, (5 phase in this case) but it should be ok since the chip he's getting isn't made for overclocking anyway, though it can be nudged up a tad by playing with the computer's base clock.

joker
05-10-11, 06:16 PM
Or if you want to save alot of money, you could just send me your extra 6970!! ;)

DrPop
05-10-11, 06:21 PM
yeah that board has the minimum power phase...

Can you find a socket 1155 board with the better power phase so he can compare price? (not meaning to make you work, but...:o )

Shadow
05-10-11, 06:29 PM
Or if you want to save alot of money, you could just send me your extra 6970!! ;)

Sure, watch for it in your mail, in about 3 years. :D
I need to get that one crunching so I can get past Viao in Moo. I caught him but can't pass him.

I wasn't too sure about the MB, I knew that was the chip I wanted though. It's going to be a no frills cruncher. 4G of Corsair 1600 ram, 850 Corsair PSU and of course that 6970. And a shiny new Haf X to transplant my main into, and the new one can go into the old Antec 1200.

Now all I need is a fire extinguisher because my credit cards are still smoldering. #-o

Shadow
05-10-11, 06:38 PM
Can you find a socket 1155 board with the better power phase so he can compare price? (not meaning to make you work, but...:o )

It's not too late to cancel the order on the MB. Need to hang around 180 or less though.

John P. Myers
05-10-11, 07:02 PM

Sure! just get my 24 phase board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130595&Tpk=big%20bang%20marshal) :p

I guess you meant something more realistic though...
This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130572) one has a 7 phase VRM design and isn't *too* much more expensive than the basic one.

DrPop
05-10-11, 07:33 PM
So I guess it doesn't matter as much on the Sandy Bridge CPUs, be wise they draw less watts? Sound good to me. Ifyou want an MSI board, I suppose the one you picked out is as good as any, then. There seems to be quite a few MSI boards with very minor feature differences...
There is a nice ASRock board fo $10 cheaper, and couple ASUS and Gigabyte boards around there too. But, if you already have it on they way, then probably not worth the hassle. JPM and F$ - do you think the one he got is nice for a dedicated cuncher?

Shadow
05-10-11, 07:40 PM
I just ordered the one JPM suggested, but there's still time to cancel if need be.
Big Bang indeed. That would be the sound my utility bill makes when it hits the floor after the mailman drops it through the slot in my front door. Maybe for my next build...we'll see.
I've been wanting to try a Sandy Bridge for awhile now, it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

John P. Myers
05-10-11, 07:54 PM
So I guess it doesn't matter as much on the Sandy Bridge CPUs, be wise they draw less watts? Sound good to me. Ifyou want an MSI board, I suppose the one you picked out is as good as any, then. There seems to be quite a few MSI boards with very minor feature differences...
There is a nice ASRock board fo $10 cheaper, and couple ASUS and Gigabyte boards around there too. But, if you already have it on they way, then probably not worth the hassle. JPM and F$ - do you think the one he got is nice for a dedicated cuncher?

No it's not because it's a sandy bridge or that it only draws 95W. It's because the chip is largely unoverclockable. The only way to overclock that chip is to increase the computer's base clock, which is generally not recommended to be raised more than 5 MHz. Changing this clock speed effects everything, from the CPU to the RAM and even the PCI/PCIe slots. Everything in the computer bases itself off of this 1 clock on the Sandy Bridge arch.

DrPop
05-10-11, 09:55 PM
Ah, I see. So it's that it doesn't matter "for this CPU". But, he is better off getting the one with more phase power to the board / CPU combo for the future when he drops in a high end i7 after they get cheap, right? :D hehehehehe ;)

EDIT: so where in all the "specs" paraphernalia, do you see the power phase details? I must be blind as a bat, because I couldn't find it on either of those boards - the $129 or the $149 on on Newegg. Somebody help me, I'm going blind! :p ;)

John P. Myers
05-10-11, 10:47 PM
so where in all the "specs" paraphernalia, do you see the power phase details? I must be blind as a bat, because I couldn't find it on either of those boards - the $129 or the $149 on on Newegg. Somebody help me, I'm going blind! :p ;)

i actually had to go look it up at one of the tech sites that reviewed all of MSI's P67A motherboard lineup. Newegg is often sloppy with their product information :/

Shadow
05-20-11, 05:21 PM
I ended up cancelling the MB order one more time.
This Asrock board is on the way:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157231
In a few months, I plan on upgrading to the Sandy Bridge 2500, I could kick myself for not getting it to begin with. With any luck, this build will be up and crunching by Tuesday.

Mike029
05-21-11, 12:37 PM
I ended up cancelling the MB order one more time.
This Asrock board is on the way:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157231
In a few months, I plan on upgrading to the Sandy Bridge 2500, I could kick myself for not getting it to begin with. With any luck, this build will be up and crunching by Tuesday.

I liked that board as well. Great reviews, high marks from Tom hardware, etc. The reason I did not go to an Asrock board was the 1 year warranty. After my Asus GPU died (at 2 years 10 months) Asus said they would replace it. That would not happen with any manufacturer with a 1 year warranty.

DrPop
05-21-11, 12:47 PM
That is one sweet board! Which CPU did you end up with? You could always return it, Newegg is real good about that. Or even Ebay it or Craigslist for hardly any loss, just a thought.
Don't feel bashful about sending it back to Newegg for an exchange if you're not satisfied. When I wasn't happy with a mobo they sent me months ago, they really went out of their way to make me happy and buy from them again. That is why I highly recommend them even though they do charge me CA tax. :D

Mike029
05-21-11, 01:21 PM
That is one sweet board! Which CPU did you end up with? You could always return it, Newegg is real good about that. Or even Ebay it or Craigslist for hardly any loss, just a thought.
Don't feel bashful about sending it back to Newegg for an exchange if you're not satisfied. When I wasn't happy with a mobo they sent me months ago, they really went out of their way to make me happy and buy from them again. That is why I highly recommend them even though they do charge me CA tax. :D

Nope problems so far with NewEgg. I'll report if that changes as I'm still in the middle of an RMA.

Shadow
05-21-11, 06:58 PM
I ended up with the i5 2400. It'll do for now, I guess.

DrPop
05-21-11, 10:53 PM
I ended up with the i5 2400. It'll do for now, I guess.

Hmmm...still a very good CPU for the money -- check this benchmark compared to my AMD X6 100T... http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=363

You can play around with that benchmark and compare what you would get with the 2500K, etc.

If you are not satisfied, I am absolutely certain after my last dealing with NewEgg that they will take it back and let you exchange for the higher CPU if you want to...I think it will be quite a fast CPU, but man, don't settle for less than you'll be happy with, though...hope that benchy link helps a little to decide? Thanks for all you do for this team! :o

Shadow
05-30-11, 12:28 PM
Ok, I finally have the new system up and crunching. It was a total nightmare to build. I swear it took longer to get this one up and running than it did to do my last 3 combined. That's what I get for trying to do too many things all at once. X_X Anyhow it's been up about an hour now and seems to be doing well. Here's what I ended up with:
i5 2400, Corsair 850w Gold, 4 gigs of Corsair 1600 ram, 2 Sapphire 6970's, an Asrock P67 Extreme6, and a stock CPU cooler for now, all wrapped up in an old Antec 1200.
Letting everything run at stock for awhile, then after a few days, I'll start tweaking it out. ;)

Fire$torm
05-30-11, 01:08 PM
Ok, I finally have the new system up and crunching. It was a total nightmare to build. I swear it took longer to get this one up and running than it did to do my last 3 combined. That's what I get for trying to do too many things all at once. X_X Anyhow it's been up about an hour now and seems to be doing well. Here's what I ended up with:
i5 2400, Corsair 850w Gold, 4 gigs of Corsair 1600 ram, 2 Sapphire 6970's, an Asrock P67 Extreme6, and a stock CPU cooler for now, all wrapped up in an old Antec 1200.
Letting everything run at stock for awhile, then after a few days, I'll start tweaking it out. ;)

"It's Alive!!!!" =D> =D> =D> Congrats.

Isn't it Fun being a Geek? :P

Shadow
05-30-11, 01:11 PM
Well, it isn't much fun, but it sure beats mowing the lawn. :D

rgathright
05-30-11, 04:13 PM
"It's Alive!!!!" =D> =D> =D> Congrats.

Isn't it Fun being a Geek? :P

+1!

Great work. It's nice to start the week with a new cruncher to monitor!:cool:

Mike029
05-30-11, 05:12 PM

Congrats on the new addition. Looks like a great build. Was it the case that caused you the most problems?

YoDude9999
05-30-11, 07:26 PM
Gratz on your system. I'll be watching you along with DrPop who seems to be creeping up on me as I look over my shoulder.

Yo-

Shadow
05-31-11, 02:47 AM
Congrats on the new addition. Looks like a great build. Was it the case that caused you the most problems?

My biggest problem was finding the time to get it all done at once. I ended up working on it a bit then going back to it later, again and again over 3 days. I worked double shifts all last week, then I had relatives stay with me over the long weekend, and had a wedding to go to. So I ended up having to do alot of backtracking to figure out what I forgot to hook up and what was hooked up in the wrong place. ~X(