PDA

View Full Version : Please post your GTX 460 OC settings

Mike029
05-17-11, 10:00 PM
I just checked my Nvidia rig and it has once again Down clocked. First to 405 then to 51~X(

These are my settings on one card 898 1790 Voltage at 1000, 855 voltage the same 1000. Both cards are identical Asus Engtx460's Was wondering what voltage everyone else has their cards set at. I'm going to go back to 266.77 or 266.58 and hopefully this will stop happening. Any help is appreciated. :-??

joker
05-17-11, 10:09 PM
Just a thought, perhaps you should flash your BIOS with the OC settings.

Maxwell
05-17-11, 10:21 PM
A few points...

1. Even within identical cards, there is variability in overclockability, stability, etc., due largely to random factors. In my world, we call that "sampling error". But it's very common to see different behavior in identical hardware.
2. If you're on the new driver, there is a setting in there that automatically throttles the card if it gets pushed (i.e., if you run BOINC at all). You can change a setting to put it in high performance mode (somewhere around here there is a post that explains how to do that) which eliminates that throttling.
3. I'm rocking a 570 right now, and I've noticed that if I push the clocks too high, they drop to stock, and (worse yet) refuse to crunch WUs until I reset the driver or reboot the machine. The stock core/shader clock on mine is 780/1560, and I'm now at 850/1700 stable. When I tried to get to 875/1750, my clocks would drop (and I'm rocking 266.58 as the driver, which doesn't have the throttling problem), even though temps were fine. I suspect that's a voltage issue, but I haven't messed with voltages.

Hope any of that was helpful. If not, I'll give you the phone number of joker's mom AND my mom... ;)

-GER-
05-17-11, 10:24 PM
I just checked my Nvidia rig and it has once again Down clocked. First to 405 then to 51~X(

These are my settings on one card 898 1790 Voltage at 1000, 855 voltage the same 1000. Both cards are identical Asus Engtx460's Was wondering what voltage everyone else has their cards set at. I'm going to go back to 266.77 or 266.58 and hopefully this will stop happening. Any help is appreciated. :-??

If you are using the 270 drivers they have known issues with BOINC and throttling down.
I went back to 266.58 and that fixed the problem.

YoDude9999
05-17-11, 10:25 PM
I can bump mine up to 925, but eventually the driver gives up and reverts back to 850. I've not tinkered with the voltage settings. They are very stable at 850, so I just leave them. Running 266 drivers.

Yo-

DrPop
05-17-11, 10:26 PM
@Mike -- up that voltage. The GTX 460 was way under rated from the factory compared to what that chip can handle. They did it to hit a sweet spot in the $ lineup, and not cannibalize sales from higher cards when it was released.
Go to 1050 mV or even higher if you need. Doesn't matter (within reason) as long as you keep the temps under control. Watch the temps, that is the key!

I notice my GTX 460's will downclock to factory specs over time if the Voltage isn't quite right, or they are getting hammered too hard for the Voltage. You may have to be satisfied with 850MHz if you can't get it any higher stable.

My new MSI GTX 460 is running @ 900 core / 1800 shader / 900 mem, @ 61C in the top slot of the HAF 932, votage is 1050 mV.

The GTX 465 under it in slot 2 is running @ 800 core / 1600 shader / 800 mem, @ 70C, and is beating out the higher clocked GTX 460 by a bit (makes sense because it has more shaders). Logic tells me it can't be, but it also feels like it's producing twice the heat!

EDIT: I got the email for the new BETA 275 drivers today, and I'm giving them a shot. Don't see any throttling issues ... yet.

valyn42
05-17-11, 10:33 PM
My PNY 460 really doesn't like going above 840 MHz, no matter any other settings. I've had it to 875, but not for very long. Stable at 840 MHz and 1680 shader.

Woopsie.. 266.58 driver

joker
05-17-11, 10:33 PM
Did I mention flashing the BIOS?? :cool:

DrPop
05-17-11, 10:35 PM
My PNY 460 really doesn't like going above 840 MHz, no matter any other settings. I've had it to 875, but not for very long. Stable at 840 MHz and 1680 shader.

What voltage did you try on that? Did you also downclock the memory at the same time? This is important as the mem gets really hot if you have it O/Ced too...we don't need high mem clock for crunching, so that's why I drop the mem clock down to the core clock when I O/C mine.
Just figured I'd throw it out on the off chance...:cool:

DrPop
05-17-11, 10:37 PM
Did I mention flashing the BIOS?? :cool:

I believe you did...if he flashes it now and doesn't know the stable setting, then he will get a card that bricks after so many minutes running WUs when it stalls out (because the BIOS won't have any lower numbers to default to). :p

One thought is that sometimes a certain BIOS of a certain brand will O/C better for some reason -- for example, back when a 5870 was a hot card, a lot of guys were flashing their "other brand" cards to the ASUS 5870 BIOS because it O/Ced the best for some reason...therefore, partially validating Joker's suggestion. ;)

joker
05-17-11, 10:43 PM
A BIOS can be flashed many times. Start small and work your way up. Just a thought.

Mike029
05-17-11, 11:04 PM
Wow. Thanks for the replies. I'll check that setting tomorrow Max. I'll try bumping up the voltage to 1050 and see if I can get the 2nd card stable if not I'll drop it down more. Flashing the BIOS? I'm worried I'll brick the cards. If the other options don't work, I'll try the BIOS option.

John P. Myers
05-18-11, 02:33 AM
A few points...

1. Even within identical cards, there is variability in overclockability, stability, etc., due largely to random factors. In my world, we call that "sampling error". But it's very common to see different behavior in identical hardware.
2. If you're on the new driver, there is a setting in there that automatically throttles the card if it gets pushed (i.e., if you run BOINC at all). You can change a setting to put it in high performance mode (somewhere around here there is a post that explains how to do that) which eliminates that throttling.
3. I'm rocking a 570 right now, and I've noticed that if I push the clocks too high, they drop to stock, and (worse yet) refuse to crunch WUs until I reset the driver or reboot the machine. The stock core/shader clock on mine is 780/1560, and I'm now at 850/1700 stable. When I tried to get to 875/1750, my clocks would drop (and I'm rocking 266.58 as the driver, which doesn't have the throttling problem), even though temps were fine. I suspect that's a voltage issue, but I haven't messed with voltages.

Hope any of that was helpful. If not, I'll give you the phone number of joker's mom AND my mom... ;)

Needz moar voltage!

c303a
05-18-11, 09:46 AM
I have the Evga GTX 460 (P-3-1373-AR) over clocked model and I cannot adjust the voltage in MSI afterburner. I set the voltage up, hit apply and it reverts back to .987. I have only been able to get the card up to a core of 790 and shader to 1580. I have the memory at 1600. I have set afterburner to allow voltage adjustment. Any ideas?

YoDude9999
05-18-11, 10:09 AM
Using Afterburner, I get core 934, mem 975, voltage 1.050 (up from 1.037).
Currently runnin PPS Sieve between 92~99%, no failures for around 4 hours so far.

Yo-

Maxwell
05-18-11, 12:49 PM
I have the Evga GTX 460 (P-3-1373-AR) over clocked model and I cannot adjust the voltage in MSI afterburner. I set the voltage up, hit apply and it reverts back to .987. I have only been able to get the card up to a core of 790 and shader to 1580. I have the memory at 1600. I have set afterburner to allow voltage adjustment. Any ideas?
You're probably not adjusting the voltage up enough. There are specific settings allowed for the card, and if you miss them, it will revert to the nearest "allowed" setting. I was seeing the exact same behavior when I was trying to overvolt a 5970 with Afterburner. So try moving it up further and seeing if you can get it to stick there.

c303a
05-18-11, 01:22 PM
Got it. Thanks. It went to 1000 and I cranked the core clock to 800 and shader to 1600. Will let them sit and then start inching them up.

Mike029
05-18-11, 01:23 PM
Needz moar voltage!

That was the problem. Now got one card at 935 and holding. The other card now runs at 900 and stable so far. I'll watch and see what happens. ;)

On the down clocking issue. It seems that somehow Boinc chanched my settings and would one creunch the gpu when not in use (screensaver mode). :mad: The card would then power down after the screensaver was deactivated. I could not get it to OC again unless the screensaver was in use. Not sure how that happend as I never use the screensaver. Strange. I deactivated the screensaver and have had no problems. Check all my power saver options and they are still the same. (Deactivated as well)
Problem solved.

I did upgrade to the newest version of Boinc and it is a bit to get used to. Now projects can stream messages right to your Boinc app. So far so good.

Thanks again for all the help. ^:)^

At what temp should I start to worry? On my ATI cards 80 degrees and I started cleaning out fans. These cards run cooler so I'm guessing 65 or so?

John P. Myers
05-18-11, 01:39 PM
Nah Nvidia can handle the same temps ATI can. 80C is well within the acceptable range.

Maxwell
05-18-11, 01:44 PM
Great minds think alike, Mike...

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?1196-570-How-hot-is-too-hot

YoDude9999
05-18-11, 05:22 PM
Using Afterburner, I get core 934, mem 975, voltage 1.050 (up from 1.037).
Currently runnin PPS Sieve between 92~99%, no failures for around 4 hours so far.

Yo-

ACK....Ambient temps up, GPU clocks down. Might have to leave it at 925 instead of 934.

Yo-

Maxwell
05-18-11, 08:11 PM
[hijack]
Got the 570 up to 900/1800 stable and happy. Tried going to 925, screen goes white, sticks for a minute, then card reverts to stock. Time to up the voltage again?

Mike029
05-18-11, 08:24 PM
Remember that card I posted about earlier that would not oc as well as the other? It just died. #-o:mad::(( I check on my rig and computer was shut down. Hmm, I start it up and only one monitor turns on. I break down the rig, take out each of the GTX 460's and run them one at a time. One works one does not. I switch to a different PCI-e slot hoping that was the problem, 8-| it's not, it's the card. :( I even tried it in my other computer to no avail. The card spins like it wants to work. I tried the other connector in the rear without success. I've sent in an RMA request to newegg as it's only been 20 days.

Unless you have any other suggestions?[-O<

Other card is running fine at 935 at 55 degrees.

DrPop
05-18-11, 08:24 PM
Hmmm...900 is pretty good on a 570 for 24/7 crunching. ;) What are your temps? I think these cards are pretty bullet proof, though, so you can try upping the voltage more if your temps are still pretty low. JPM has his 590's clocked insanely high on water cooling - which to me says it's all about voltage and temps, so you can pretty much go as high as you want (relatively speaking) if the temps are good.

DrPop
05-18-11, 08:31 PM
Remember that card I posted about earlier...I've sent in an RMA request to newegg as it's only been 20 days...Other card is running fine at 935 at 55 degrees.

I know it will be a week without the credits now, but this may be a blessing in disguise. There is no argument that in crunching 24/7 with these, we are stressing them way beyond what even an intense gamer (4-6 hours per day) running Crysis at max settings would.

I believe that card had a weakness somewhere, and there is all sorts of variation in electronic components - as Maxwell put it, "Sample variation".

I hope that Newegg will take yours back no questions asked, and ship you a new one like they should. They will in turn, get a nice credit from ASUS. =:)

Mike029
05-18-11, 08:37 PM
I know it will be a week without the credits now, but this may be a blessing in disguise. There is no argument that in crunching 24/7 with these, we are stressing them way beyond what even an intense gamer (4-6 hours per day) running Crysis at max settings would.

I believe that card had a weakness somewhere, and there is all sorts of variation in electronic components - as Maxwell put it, "Sample variation".

I hope that Newegg will take yours back no questions asked, and ship you a new one like they should. They will in turn, get a nice credit from ASUS. =:)

I hope so. I prob. had a card that would have died in a year of gaming die in a 2 weeks of crunching. I was a much weaker card then it's twin. Sorry guys. I now have two cards out for repair. :mad:

Maxwell
05-18-11, 08:37 PM
I had good luck with Newegg - I had two consecutive 5970s arrive DOA, and they took 'em back, even paid for the shipping on the second one. I'd definitely go the RMA route on that card...

Oh yeah - and my temps are at 66C with the fan only at 50%. I may give it a shot and up the voltage again...

DrPop
05-18-11, 08:40 PM
I hope so.... I now have two cards out for repair. :mad:

It is not for lack of trying! ;) With Maxwell's luck, you will have replacements in no time! :D

YoDude9999
05-18-11, 08:53 PM
When it comes to Nvidia, I always buy EVGA boards. As long as you register your hardware with them within 30 days, you're golden. RMAing is no big deal but you do have to call them to get an authorization code. Once you have that, you're set. They honor their products without issue and the turn around is usually very good.

Newegg has been problematic for a friend of mine in the past and that makes me a bit leary of them when it comes to replacement on some items. I usually buy my products through Tiger and they will tell you straight up if it's to be handled strictly by the mfgr.

Yo-