PDA

View Full Version : Our forum should be readable by all

zombie67
06-10-11, 11:27 PM
I just realized that you have to register to read even the non-private parts of our forum. That's not a good thing, IMO. We shouldn't have a hurdle for people just to see how awesome we are. If they are mildly curious, let's make it easy! We have the members-only section for the private stuff anyway.

I formally request that our forum be made open to all, for viewing.

Mumps
06-10-11, 11:37 PM
As an active member that has never even wanted access to the Team-Only forums, I second this request.

YoDude9999
06-10-11, 11:37 PM
I'll cast my vote in for that after I guzzle down a few more beers!

+1

Mike029
06-10-11, 11:39 PM
I think this was done due to heavy spammer activity. A bunch of teams were running into the spammer problem. If there is a way to allow people to read but have to register in order to post that may be a solution.

valyn42
06-10-11, 11:42 PM
I agree as well. The private areas should remain, but the rest should be open.

zombie67
06-10-11, 11:44 PM
As an active member that has never even wanted access to the Team-Only forums, I second this request.

To be clear, I am not suggesting any change to the access of the Team-Only forums. Those retain whatever requirements are currently in place. I am talking about all the other forums. They should be readable by all, even folks that have not registered.

Our forums help recruit folks. Its a differentiator (sorry for the marketing speak). But it's hidden behind a curtain that prevents the mildly curious from even seeing this awesome asset.

joker
06-10-11, 11:53 PM
Can a bot spam into the forums if it is "open"? I know, dumb question but I must ask.

YoDude9999
06-10-11, 11:57 PM
Zombie is quite right.

Before I signed up to the Team, I came to the site to check it out. The VERY limited substance that was available almost soured me to signing up. This was mainly because when I first looked at the site, I said to myself, "Is this all there is?...Sheeeze". I am glad however in that, with a little mild prodding from a few active members, I joined anyway and since then, I've have a good home here.

YoDude9999
06-10-11, 11:58 PM
Should be only after a user has actually registered can they post.

Bok
06-11-11, 12:02 AM
To be clear, I'm NOT the admin here, but I don't think this is by design.

Took a quick look at the permissions but didn't see anything obvious as to why they are not showing, needs a better look, I need to sleep :)

I'll wait for the admins take a look and see what is going on, might be an issue with the upgrade today (though Free-dc does not have the same problem).

Bok

zombie67
06-11-11, 12:05 AM
Can a bot spam into the forums if it is "open"? I know, dumb question but I must ask.

Again, to be clear, I asked for "readable" only. Not writeable.

"I formally request that our forum be made open to all, for viewing."

YoDude9999
06-11-11, 12:09 AM
Can I vote "AYE" twice?

Maxwell
06-11-11, 12:19 AM
Add me to the list of supporters of zombie's request.:cool:

Bok
06-11-11, 12:24 AM
To DrPop/Mr Hankey/BeerDrinker,

Not sure why this is happening as it's all set to default (and the default is to show the forums!)

I'd have to investigate further, but you can go into each forum in the forum manager and set the 'Show Private forum' to be yes.

Somehow it thinks they are all private though they are definitely not.

*EDIT* Scratch that, there are custom permissions set for 'unregistered' on most forums - that's what is causing it. Can be fixed by editing those custom permissions on the parent forums and allowing read only.

Maxwell
06-11-11, 12:42 AM
20 minutes after proclaiming he needs sleep, Bok is still up and helping us out... :cool:;)

YoDude9999
06-11-11, 02:49 AM
GIVE THAT MAN A WOMAN, everything else could be unhealthy.

spingadus
06-11-11, 04:06 AM
I nearly didn't sign up for the team when I first came to the forums and found nothing to see. But, I powered through the registration because I really did want to join. There is a good chance that a few people who were on the fence about joining a team were discouraged by the non-readable forum. I'm for giving read access to the public areas as well.

Mike029
06-11-11, 10:49 AM
Again, to be clear, I asked for "readable" only. Not writeable.

"I formally request that our forum be made open to all, for viewing."

How can you argue with this. ;)

I vote to make it readable by all (except for pvt areas) and writable after registering.

Mr. Hankey
06-11-11, 02:42 PM
This was explicitly implemented because of the spammers (quite some time back in fact). I know for a fact we probably still have somewhere in the order of 300 or so fake spammer registrations on the board prior to implementing the two changes we put in place to combat this.

There is a specific mechanism where when people register on the forums, notifying them that they need to post an introduction before they gain access to the rest of the forum. As soon as they make that first post saying who they are and hello, they automatically get promoted from "registered" to "registered and introduced" which grants them access to the rest of the forum. Un-registerd people can only see (and post) in the guest forum. The guest forum is there for people so that they can post if they are having problems.

I have to check as I don't remember, but the registration confirmation email contains the instructions about needing to post an introduction, and also once they have registered and logged in they also get a pop-up PM notification as well.

YoDude9999
06-11-11, 02:59 PM
This was explicitly implemented because of the spammers (quite some time back in fact). I know for a fact we probably still have somewhere in the order of 300 or so fake spammer registrations on the board prior to implementing the two changes we put in place to combat this.

There is a specific mechanism where when people register on the forums, notifying them that they need to post an introduction before they gain access to the rest of the forum. As soon as they make that first post saying who they are and hello, they automatically get promoted from "registered" to "registered and introduced" which grants them access to the rest of the forum. Un-registerd people can only see (and post) in the guest forum. The guest forum is there for people so that they can post if they are having problems.

I have to check as I don't remember, but the registration confirmation email contains the instructions about needing to post an introduction, and also once they have registered and logged in they also get a pop-up PM notification as well.

This works well to keep out the spammers, but it describes the mechanics of getting registered and gaining access to the forum. It doesn't however, touch on the issue at hand.

What's being said is that the forum should be open for read only access to all pages except for the Team only private areas. Being read only still keeps the spammers from spamming on the forum and using the current method for validating real people and granting them write access that's already in place, should remain so.

Mr. Hankey
06-11-11, 04:10 PM
This works well to keep out the spammers, but it describes the mechanics of getting registered and gaining access to the forum. It doesn't however, touch on the issue at hand.

What's being said is that the forum should be open for read only access to all pages except for the Team only private areas. Being read only still keeps the spammers from spamming on the forum and using the current method for validating real people and granting them write access that's already in place, should remain so.

Yes, I posted my initial response before I saw the second page.... The not-viewable part was put in place before we had any private area. Also I believe this was comparable to the way the boards and forum were setup for other big teams lik Sic for example when we were planning our initial deployment so that is how we configured our setup as well.

zombie67
06-11-11, 04:15 PM
Yes, I posted my initial response before I saw the second page.... The not-viewable part was put in place before we had any private area. Also I believe this was comparable to the way the boards and forum were setup for other big teams lik Sic for example when we were planning our initial deployment so that is how we configured our setup as well.

So now that we have a private section, can the rest please be opened up for viewing without registration?

Mr. Hankey
06-11-11, 05:17 PM
So now that we have a private section, can the rest please be opened up for viewing without registration?

I believe I have this now configured.... I also moved the divisions into the team area with blackops

spingadus
06-11-11, 05:57 PM
I seem to have lost permissions to post anything in the private areas. Who can help me?

Duke of Buckingham
06-11-11, 06:09 PM
I seem to have lost permissions to post anything in the private areas. Who can help me?

The same I cant post S.USA Video area.

joker
06-11-11, 06:10 PM
I cant either. I am sure it is just a hitch from when Mr Hankey made those changes. Give him some time and I am sure it will go back to normal.

zombie67
06-11-11, 06:21 PM
I believe I have this now configured.... I also moved the divisions into the team area with blackops

I thought the main point of the divisions was to help attract members or even whole teams to join us. If so, we should be showing them off, not hiding them.

Duke of Buckingham
06-11-11, 06:23 PM
I cant either. I am sure it is just a hitch from when Mr Hankey made those changes. Give him some time and I am sure it will go back to normal.

:rolleyes: If it was only me, you and Maxwell I would thought it was a kind of punishment for bad behavior. ;) As spingadus lost his permission I am starting to believe in that. :cool:

The Duck

Mr. Hankey
06-11-11, 08:37 PM
Is it fixed now?

joker
06-11-11, 09:00 PM
Is it fixed now?

It is for me. Thx Mr Hankey.

YoDude9999
06-11-11, 09:25 PM
No one has been behaving badly. We are simply going through a growing pain that sometimes has its glitches. In this instance a setting or two may be to blame, but I think Mr.Hanky has things well under control. No one is being punished. I'm sure if that were the case, you'd be notified as to the reason why such an action would take place.

joker
06-11-11, 09:27 PM
If you are referring to Dukes post Yo, I am pretty sure he is kidding.

YoDude9999
06-11-11, 09:31 PM
Well....I'm just a dolt anyway, but I think you're prolly right in that!

Mike029
06-11-11, 09:57 PM
If anyone was going to be punished it would be Joker. Because, well, because he's Joker. :P Ask him, he'll tell ya so..

joker
06-11-11, 10:01 PM
Spank me baby one more time!!

Duke of Buckingham
06-11-11, 10:14 PM
Spank me baby one more time!!

Can I come in know that you have beaten someone.

The BAAAAAD Duke

DrPop
06-13-11, 12:37 AM
I'm late to this one, but R.L. is kicking my hind end for one more week. Then I will be back full force. Thanks all for picking up my slack here. I'm totally up for making everything except the Members Only Forum viewable to all.

zombie67
06-13-11, 12:45 AM
I thought the main point of the divisions was to help attract members or even whole teams to join us. If so, we should be showing them off, not hiding them.

Nothing? Why are we hiding the very thing thing we are trying to use to attract members and whole teams?

DrPop
06-13-11, 01:00 AM
Nothing? Why are we hiding the very thing thing we are trying to use to attract members and whole teams? Help me out here, I'm late to the party. What do you mean by "nothing?" Is there something I was supposed to do? Thanks, I know I haven't been checking in as much as required. 1 more week of this and then I'll be back daily. :)

Mr. Hankey
06-13-11, 01:19 AM
Help me out here, I'm late to the party. What do you mean by "nothing?" Is there something I was supposed to do? Thanks, I know I haven't been checking in as much as required. 1 more week of this and then I'll be back daily. :)

The division forums... should they be in the public or private area?

Right now I moved them all together in the private area. As far as the divisions being a tool for merging teams and growing the overall seti.usa presence... I think that has not been well received, beyond our own team, as a good idea.

Maxwell
06-13-11, 01:51 AM

Right now I moved them all together in the private area. As far as the divisions being a tool for merging teams and growing the overall seti.usa presence... I think that has not been well received, beyond our own team, as a good idea.
Well, I have one member of my subteam who refuses on principle to apply for membership. So I would like them moved back into the open...

joker
06-13-11, 02:39 AM
Stop playing with your principle member!!!!!

zombie67
06-13-11, 08:51 AM

?! LAF is built on the concept of sub-divisions.

Cruncher Pete
06-13-11, 08:55 AM
Stop playing with your principle member!!!!!

You can play with my member any time!!!=))

Mr. Hankey
06-13-11, 03:13 PM
?! LAF is built on the concept of sub-divisions.

Yea, well the idea may work for the French, but the Americans have a much more independent streak, rugged individualism and all, you know?

DrPop
06-13-11, 04:55 PM
Eh? I dunno....the French thing works pretty good for fries, bread...hmmm...women? I know they have good perfume at least. :P

Seriously, though - I don't even know what to do with the sub divisions at this point either. The whole sub-team thing has not been received all that well by anyone else in the USA to my knowledge - no one wants anything like a merger, and it's certainly not for a lack of trying. We've just come up empty handed on ways to grow the team. I'm open for suggestions from all . . . but Hankey is correct as far as I know. :confused::-??

Fire$torm
06-13-11, 05:13 PM
Yeah, as an incentive to have other "teams" join SETI.USA it does seem to be a bust. At least for the moment. At the individual level, zombie makes a good point. One has to keep in mind that SUSA still has something of a bad rap. The sub-divisions would be one piece of evidence to help dispel any negative comments out there. Maybe the decision to be open should rest with division members? Just an idea. I would still prefer BlackOps NOT be open to all eyes. Sorry zombie. Of course I am only one member of BlackOps, the others would have to weigh in one this.

trigggl
06-14-11, 04:45 PM
Yeah, as an incentive to have other "teams" join SETI.USA it does seem to be a bust. At least for the moment. At the individual level, zombie makes a good point. One has to keep in mind that SUSA still has something of a bad rap. The sub-divisions would be one piece of evidence to help dispel any negative comments out there. Maybe the decision to be open should rest with division members? Just an idea. I would still prefer BlackOps NOT be open to all eyes. Sorry zombie. Of course I am only one member of BlackOps, the others would have to weigh in one this.

It makes sense to me for BlackOps to remain a team only forum. It's not black if everyone can see it. I'm for MM being open to all.