PDA

View Full Version : Please Join with Me in getting BOK some SSDs!

DrPop
06-16-11, 05:40 PM
Hello TEAM SETI.USA! Good afternoon. I want to personally thank everyone who helped out in the recent donation drive to help with the new web server; it was ALL extremely well received and appreciated by The Man. :)
It has recently come to my attention that we have the possibility of helping out our #1 benefactor and host of the boards, the One and Only, BOK of Free-DC fame on his database server that does all the "real work".=D> :cool:

The database server does a tremendous amount of data crunching, my sources tell me - generating upwards of 40GB worth of data it must chew through during each round of updates before the refreshed stats can go live to the world.
If we could supply BOK with SATA3 SSDs, the time to press would be dramatically reduced on the new server.
I believe the latest and greatest, are approx. $270 each. I am not sure if we need to supply just one or two, but I will find out.

The DrPop proposal:
I will personally MATCH dollar for dollar any donations given by all other members of our team up to the amount required for this retrofit of the database server storage SSDs.

Let 'em rip, boys, and let's show them all the SETI.USA style! Reach for those hammers and start smashing the little piggies... :D:o

*For the record, this was my wild idea, not his, just in case anyone goes there...I do not think you would, but that's my disclaimer.*

Fire$torm
06-16-11, 05:57 PM
Hello TEAM SETI.USA! Good afternoon. I want to personally thank everyone who helped out in the recent donation drive to help with the new web server; it was ALL extremely well received and appreciated by The Man. :)
It has recently come to my attention that we have the possibility of helping out our #1 benefactor and host of the boards, the One and Only, BOK of Free-DC fame on his database server that does all the "real work".=D> :cool:

The database server does a tremendous amount of data crunching, my sources tell me - generating upwards of 40GB worth of data it must chew through during each round of updates before the refreshed stats can go live to the world.
If we could supply BOK with SATA3 SSDs, the time to press would be dramatically reduced on the new server.
I believe the latest and greatest, are approx. $270 each. I am not sure if we need to supply just one or two, but I will find out.

The DrPop proposal:
I will personally MATCH dollar for dollar any donations given by all other members of our team up to the amount required for this retrofit of the database server storage SSDs.

Let 'em rip, boys, and let's show them all the SETI.USA style! Reach for those hammers and start smashing the little piggies... :D:o

*For the record, this was my wild idea, not his, just in case anyone goes there...I do not think you would, but that's my disclaimer.*

Gee gads Batman...........

I cannot make any promises here but in about 3 weeks I will have in my possession a mismatched pair of multi-port network switches via a friend of my sisters and possibly some other hardware. Depending on my commission for selling them on eBay, I will donate 25~50% towards the SDDs. Assuming of course the hardware sells. I am currently trying to sell my 8-port Netgear but I have had little luck of late selling anything. Anyhow I give 20% of my net from the Netgear sale. Best I can due ATM. I have some audio gear but just cannot bring myself to part with that stuff even for my own benefit..............

DrPop
06-16-11, 06:01 PM
haha! F$, you are too kind. No worries man, this is just a "fun" one. I am sure we'll see plenty of responses, and I am looking forward to this. Thanks for your support! Always feels good to be backed by the BlackOps. :cool: :D

valyn42
06-16-11, 08:03 PM
I would be willing to donate to this. This is the one I put in my father's computer and haven't had any issues with it.(Well, none that I didn't cause by being an idiot:p) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726. I think Zombie also put one of these in his latest build. I know I'm going to put one in my next one.

Dandasarge
06-17-11, 10:22 AM
hmmmm, I'll see what I can do. I have a deposit pending once it hits today/Monday. I'll see what I can do.

DrPop
06-20-11, 04:17 PM
Alright! Just got some updated numbers from BOK. Some very generous folks from SETI.USA and abroad have kicked in with great class. You all know who you are, THANK YOU very much!

Total donated to this cause so far: $250.
Dr.Pop matching funds so far: $250. (i.e. I'm going to be out dollar for dollar).

BOK is kicking in $150 today of his own money to the pot, so that brings us to $650 total...Yeeeehaaawww! :cool:...(Ya'll + Pop + BOK).

Anyone out there feeling mighty generous that perhaps we've missed -- maybe a few folks could get together and we can raise the pot a last $50 more to $300 total + my match of $300??? That's probably as high as I can go right now...that would give him an even $750 when he adds his own money to the total. I think he can get a sweet RAID setup of matching Enterprise edition SSDs, top 'o the line for that! :D ;)

So...I'm going to be a hard sell (this was my idea after all, so I have to push it a little!) :D Do I hear $50 more from the crowd? Maybe 5 guys who can pitch in $10 a piece? That'll push Pop's match to the limit... :P

Thanks for all, this has been great! Words can't say how impressed I am with the team pulling through like this. We will all really benefit from this, as well as the greater BOINC community.
Thank you again. **==
Pop

Crazybob's Son
06-20-11, 05:16 PM
Don't have too much spare cash, but sent a discount code for 10% off all SSD's to BOK via PM good for the next day or so (up to $200 off, expires 6/21).

DrPop
06-20-11, 05:46 PM
Sweet man! That is just awesome. We will get this done, I am sure. I think BOK was running some calculations and this will drop the time it takes the data server to crunch that 40GB of data waaaaay down! The fastest BOINC stats site in the world is about to get a whole lot faster, baby! :D ;)

Gopher_FreeDC
06-22-11, 07:31 PM
Guys, I'll say this so Bok don't have too. Thanks..

I guess that means I'm going to have to do something special for you... hmm I'm toying with ideas and a new layout engine....
Rated IE 7+ , FF 3+ , Safari, Chrome, I'm working the kinks out.....

Bok
06-23-11, 09:58 AM
Yes, Gopher is making some real nice changes to the frontend! Moving all our ajax features over to jquery and utilizing some of it's strengths (as well as some nice new HTML5/CSS3 stuff too )

Let me say a huge thanks to everyone who donated! I ended up ordering 2xIntel 510 SATAIII 120Gb drives on tuesday and they should arrive today!

It'll be a 'triple whammy'.

1. CPU is faster
2. new SSD's will move data faster
3. I'm going to use the opportunity t make some architectural changes to the database tables and the perl scripts which parse and insert the data, on a basic level I'm going to split each of the main (team/user/host) tables into two. First one will contain the main data which changes with every update, the second one will contain the rest of the data. This way I can reduce the amount of data being replicated from the calculation database to the web facing one on a regular basis.. For instance the host table with it's indexes is 11Gb right now and that gets replicated across roughly 20 times a day. It takes a few mins. I can probably cut that down to <2Gb for the main data.

I think it's going to be *good*, quite a bit of work to do..

Fire$torm
06-23-11, 03:43 PM
Guys, I'll say this so Bok don't have too. Thanks..

I guess that means I'm going to have to do something special for you... hmm I'm toying with ideas and a new layout engine....
Rated IE 7+ , FF 3+ , Safari, Chrome, I'm working the kinks out.....

Yes, Gopher is making some real nice changes to the frontend! Moving all our ajax features over to jquery and utilizing some of it's strengths (as well as some nice new HTML5/CSS3 stuff too )

Let me say a huge thanks to everyone who donated! I ended up ordering 2xIntel 510 SATAIII 120Gb drives on tuesday and they should arrive today!

It'll be a 'triple whammy'.

1. CPU is faster
2. new SSD's will move data faster
3. I'm going to use the opportunity t make some architectural changes to the database tables and the perl scripts which parse and insert the data, on a basic level I'm going to split each of the main (team/user/host) tables into two. First one will contain the main data which changes with every update, the second one will contain the rest of the data. This way I can reduce the amount of data being replicated from the calculation database to the web facing one on a regular basis.. For instance the host table with it's indexes is 11Gb right now and that gets replicated across roughly 20 times a day. It takes a few mins. I can probably cut that down to <2Gb for the main data.

I think it's going to be *good*, quite a bit of work to do..

Totally AWESOME!!!!

Gopher_FreeDC
06-23-11, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah it will be awesome I've managed to replace a lot of the old code with jQuery code still working out the kinks
I've pretty must redone from scratch a lot of the stuff.. I'm going to rip apart more code when I get the time...

Bok
06-23-11, 06:25 PM
Drives are installed and filesystem created.

Very quick test, copy a 1Gb file from one ssd to the other - 4seconds...

Dandasarge
06-23-11, 07:17 PM
That is outstanding Sir!

DrPop
06-24-11, 02:32 AM
Alright! :D. That is just mind numbingly fast! So glad this all came together. Thank you to all the helpers, there are several on this project who wished to remain anonymous, and this is a public thank you to y'all.And to BOK- the least we could do for such a generous benefactor- not just to our team but to the entire BOINC community. My hat is off to you, Sir! Enjoy your new database monster rig. :)