PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Will PCIe 6+2 pin power connector work in an 8 pin CPU socket?

rgathright
07-08-11, 01:25 PM
HELP
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/172541-6-2-pin-power-connector-into-8-pin-socket.html

I need to see if this will really work.

I am trying to make this work on my ASUS KGPE-D16 so that I can test out a new 750Watt power supply.:confused:

rgathright
07-08-11, 02:06 PM
Just checked this out using a DVM and...

The black wires on the PCIE 6+2 are positive and the yellow wires are negative.

On a CPU 4+4 PIN power connector the yellow wires are positive and the black wires are negative.

The PCIE 6+2 pin power connector has reverse polarity of a CPU 4+4 PIN connector!

Do Not ATTEMPT TO connect a PCIE power cable to a CPU 4+4 PIN Connector and vice versa!

Fire$torm
07-08-11, 02:21 PM
I'm glad you figured it out.

ATX specifications for CPU 8-pin connector and PCI-E 6+2-pin connector are very different by design. Also if you look closely at the connector housings you will notice that they are polarized differently (The shape and orientation of the housings). This is to prevent plugging a connector into the wrong socket. Same concept used in 110V/220V residential plugs & sockets.

rgathright
07-08-11, 04:41 PM
Yeah, it's just that the 6+2 pin connector can fit in an 8 pin CPU socket with a little modification.

In my situation, I was desperately trying to make a 750 watt PSU work on the motherboard and the PSU did not have two 8 pin power plugs. Over here in Louisiana, we have to wait several days to get any type of computer equipment which delays my hobby efforts.

I'm glad you figured it out.

ATX specifications for CPU 8-pin connector and PCI-E 6+2-pin connector are very different by design. Also if you look closely at the connector housings you will notice that they are polarized differently (The shape and orientation of the housings). This is to prevent plugging a connector into the wrong socket. Same concept used in 110V/220V residential plugs & sockets.

aux9o
07-08-11, 05:27 PM
Yeah, it's just that the 6+2 pin connector can fit in an 8 pin CPU socket with a little modification.

In my situation, I was desperately trying to make a 750 watt PSU work on the motherboard and the PSU did not have two 8 pin power plugs. Over here in Louisiana, we have to wait several days to get any type of computer equipment which delays my hobby efforts.

What part of Louisiana you in? I am in pineville.

YoDude9999
07-11-11, 12:12 AM
When it comes to power supplies.....if you have to modify a connector to make it fit.....it's probably a really! bad idea to do so. Newer power supplies (some anyway) come with 8 pin connectors that 2 of the pins can be easily removed to allow access to the 6 pin version. This, so far as I know, only applies to power supplies that are providing power to GPU cards.

Fire$torm
07-11-11, 03:34 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner...... Sorry

ATX P4 4-Pin (Male) to EPS 8-Pin (Female) Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119267) - Used to change 4-Pin from PSU to plug into EPS 8-Pin socket on Motherboard.

EPS 8-Pin (Male) to ATX P4 4_pin (Female) Adapter (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110657710357&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) - Used to change 8-Pin from PSU to plug into ATX P4 (Pentium 4) 4-Pin socket on Motherboard.

rgathright
07-11-11, 09:08 AM
Lake Charles

What part of Louisiana you in? I am in pineville.

Don't want the team to think I'm a monkey with computers... :(|)

I just wanted to confirm the worst, that NO ONE SHOULD EVER CONNECT an 8 pin GPU plug into an 8 pin CPU plug. :o

I did locate the proper connector in one of my filing cabinets over the weekend. I will now test this Sentey 750 Watt PSU out today on the ASUS KGPE-D16 motherboard.

Fire$torm
07-11-11, 02:56 PM
Lake Charles

Don't want the team to think I'm a monkey with computers... :(|)

I just wanted to confirm the worst, that NO ONE SHOULD EVER CONNECT an 8 pin GPU plug into an 8 pin CPU plug. :o

I did locate the proper connector in one of my filing cabinets over the weekend. I will now test this Sentey 750 Watt PSU out today on the ASUS KGPE-D16 motherboard.

Monkey???

Never that.......... :P

Good to know you found a solution. Any time you have a plug compatibility issue try Google-ing the connector type with the word adapter. You will be amazed at the variety of solutions out there. Just remember to VERIFY the adapters usefulness/safety with another Google search.