PDA

View Full Version : Team chat instructions

Sarge104
11-09-10, 12:19 PM
Come join us in our weekly evening of chat! Every Monday evening @8 pm CST.

The following assumes you wish to join us using mIRC (http://www.mirc.com/install.html). If you wish to join us using another chat program keep in mind the steps will be different but the commands should remain the same.

Setting Up mIRC

Now it's time to enter some details. Full Name: Put anything, doesn’t have to be your name. Email Address: You do not need to enter a real email address here if you don't wish to. Nickname: Choose a nickname that you will use to chat as. Remember most of the common names will already be taken. Alternative: This is incase the chosen nickname is taken. Try thinking of a second option.
http://i.afterdawn.com/articles/01-M01.jpg
http://i.afterdawn.com/articles/05-M05.jpg
Connecting to a Server and Channel

Down the bottom of the screen, in the box, type /server irc.Freenode.net (.com may work for some but not all chat programs). This will connect you to the ICQ Network, where #team_seti.usa is located.
http://i.afterdawn.com/articles/06-M06.jpg
mIRC will then connect to the ICQ server; you should then see a similar screen to the one on the right. Now it's time to join the #team_seti.usa channel. You do this by typing /join #team_seti.usa. Then Press Enter. Now you should be in the team_seti.usa channel.
http://i.afterdawn.com/articles/08-M08.jpg

Registering Your Nickname

Ok, now its time to register your nickname so nobody else can take it. This can be done by typing /NickServ REGISTER PASSWORD EMAIL. Password, being a password that you will remember. Email, Please use a valid email address, otherwise you will not be able to retrieve your password if you forget it, or some servers require email activation. For further information on registering and it's options go to http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml
http://i.afterdawn.com/articles/22.jpg
Now, we will add it to Auto Identify, so that everytime you connect you don’t have to type it. This can be done by clicking Tools -> Options -> then find Connect, then under Connect, click Options, then select perform. You should now see the picture on the right. Now type in /NickServ IDENTIFY PASSWORD. The password will be the password that you used while registering the nick.
http://i.afterdawn.com/articles/25.jpg
Now you should be connected to #team_seti.usa on the ICQ network. Type your message in the box at the bottom of the screen, and wait for a reply. Just remember, that people aren’t in there all the time. So just sit back and wait for a reply.

After you've been on the channel a while or just want to see what has been going on, there is a stat page for the channel as well http://kd5zex.net/stats . Have fun!

***Will be updating the information and pictures during the weekend, Happy New Year!

Tank_Master
12-27-10, 11:18 PM
just a note, do to significant issues in the present and past with the ICQ servers, we are moving to the freenode server. it will be our primary server starting Jan 1st, 2011. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Server: irc.reenode.net
Port: 6667
Room: #team_seti.usa

yoyo
12-30-10, 04:50 PM
just a note, do to significant issues in the present and past with the ICQ servers, we are moving to the freenode server. it will be our primary server starting Jan 1st, 2011. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Server: irc.reenode.net
Port: 6667
Room: #team_seti.usa

Right server should be irc.freenode.net.

yoyo

Maxwell
12-30-10, 05:11 PM
Updated the article on the main page with the new server...

JerWA
04-08-11, 11:47 PM
If you're not comfortable with mIRC, and run the Firefox web browser, just install ChatZilla:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chatzilla/

And then click this link:
irc://irc.Freenode.net/team_seti.usa

Done :)

Maxwell
04-09-11, 12:52 AM
Thanks, JerWA!

I updated the post on the main page and moved it to the top. If you want it edited, let me know...

Cruncher Pete
05-22-11, 03:59 AM
Thanks, JerWA!

I updated the post on the main page and moved it to the top. If you want it edited, let me know...

Maxwell, just a minor thing but could be improved. The article uses CST Time. That is OK if everybody knows CST time in relation to their own time. If you add in brackets the equivalent UTC time that would be helpful.

John P. Myers
05-22-11, 04:06 AM
Maxwell, just a minor thing but could be improved. The article uses CST Time. That is OK if everybody knows CST time in relation to their own time. If you add in brackets the equivalent UTC time that would be helpful.

I agree. Using UTC makes us appear more scientific. Plus then we get to make fun of people that have no clue how to figure out what time that means for them :D

Maxwell
05-22-11, 04:58 PM
How should I alter it with Daylight savings time then? I will not remember to edit the article twice a year, and the UTC time changes, but the time in the Central time zone does not...

Fire$torm
05-22-11, 06:09 PM
How should I alter it with Daylight savings time then? I will not remember to edit the article twice a year, and the UTC time changes, but the time in the Central time zone does not...

errr, I think you got it mixed up. UTC never changes. That is what makes UTC important and why it is used.

Cruncher Pete
05-22-11, 06:11 PM

For the benefit of those who do not know much about Universal Time Coordinated (UTC), let me briefly explain it. This is a world wide recognized neutral time zone from which all other time zones are derived from. The time is kept in a town called Greenwich in the UK hence the alternative title Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Because of Day light saving in Greenwich itself, the local time there will alter from UTC + or - at the time of commencement or cessation of Day Light Saving. The time in UTC DOES NOT change since it is the neutral time zone. For example, Brisbane, Australia is +10 ahead of UTC. (We do not have DST either). If somebody states UTC time, I just take away 10 hours from it to derive at my local time. However, since I have no idea of the time difference from CST, I have to google it every time and first convert it to UTC than convert it again to derive at my local time. (Yes, I know there are programs that will convert it a lot easier but it will still take time to look up).:confused:

This is a piece of piss to a trained soldier or a piece of train to a pissed soldier...:)

Maxwell
05-22-11, 07:00 PM
errr, I think you got it mixed up. UTC never changes. That is what makes UTC important and why it is used.
No no - I'm right. I just stated it wrong. Here's what I mean:

Chat Start = 19:00 Mondays, Central Time Zone. Year round.
Chat Start = UTC-5 Mondays, During US daylight savings time (summerish), UTC-6 Mondays, in months without daylight savings (winterish)

So, stating the time that chat starts in terms of UTC changes depending on the time of year 00:00 UTC Tuesdays during daylight savings, and 01:00 during non-daylight savings.

Does that make sense? And how do I state that simply? :D

EDIT: Clearly I'm over complicating this - 01:00 Tuesdays UTC. If people are an hour late, we'll still be there. The majority of people are almost always in there anyway... ;)

EDIT2: Article on front page edited. :p

Dandasarge
05-23-11, 10:46 AM
Can we also do it in ZULU time :)

Sorry I couldn't help myself.. 8-x

I really just would like to see people there. Not that I'm tired of seeing the same people every time. It would just be nice to see more of the TEAM.

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 06:32 PM
Can we also do it in ZULU time :)

Sorry I couldn't help myself.. 8-x

I really just would like to see people there. Not that I'm tired of seeing the same people every time. It would just be nice to see more of the TEAM.

someone called me

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MEdbqM_jAhQ/TPZ3kYTe-cI/AAAAAAAAAB8/fy447o_ox-I/s1600/ZULU.JPG

Zulu Time

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rqR7t-cRL.jpg

joker
05-23-11, 06:42 PM
No throwing spears during the chats though DB. That would not be nice. :cool:

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 06:47 PM
No throwing spears during the chats though DB. That would not be nice. :cool:

2 forums and one chat with joker?

http://www.clipartreview.com/_images_300/Man_having_a_meltdown_091120-210687-452012.jpg

crazy Duke already.

I couldnt enter the chat yesterday and I tried.

Dandasarge
05-23-11, 07:11 PM
2 forums and one chat with joker?

crazy Duke already.

I couldnt enter the chat yesterday and I tried.

Well you must not of tried vary hard. The JerWA way is as simple as checking E-mail.

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 07:18 PM
Well you must not of tried vary hard. The JerWA way is as simple as checking E-mail.

:p The problem was the name how can I be somethingh else than Duke of Buckingham DoB or Duke. I have to think about a name because Ricardo Ferreira is already taken. I followed the email instructions. Options are accepted. :rolleyes:

Sad Duke x-(

c303a
05-23-11, 07:25 PM
2 unknown connection(s)
=-= User mode for c303a_ is now +i
[ERROR] Connection to irc://freenode/ (irc://chat.freenode.net/) reset. [Help]
[INFO] Connecting to irc://freenode/ (irc://chat.freenode.net/)… [Cancel]
=== *** Looking up your hostname...
=== *** Checking Ident
=== *** Found your hostname
=== *** No Ident response
=== The nickname “c303a” is already in use, trying “c303a_”.
=== You have not registered
=== The nickname “c303a_” is already in use, trying “c303a__”.
=== 2 unknown connection(s)
=-= User mode for c303a__ is now +i
[ERROR] Connection to irc://freenode/ (irc://chat.freenode.net/) reset. [Help]
[INFO] Connecting to irc://freenode/ (irc://chat.freenode.net/)… [Cancel]
=== *** Looking up your hostname...
=== *** Checking Ident
=== *** Found your hostname
=== *** No Ident response
=== 1 unknown connection(s)
=-= User mode for c303a is now +i

This is all I get. I hate to say it but I have never been able to get into the chat area.

Maxwell
05-23-11, 07:26 PM
Try underscores in key places (I don't think spaces are allowed).

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 07:28 PM
Try underscores in key places (I don't think spaces are allowed).

Thanks when is Zulu time, with no spears of course.

Duke

Dandasarge
05-23-11, 07:29 PM
Thanks when is Zulu time, with no spears of course.

Duke

Zulu time is never and forever all at the same time. It is the beginning and the end.

c303a
05-23-11, 07:47 PM
Looks like I finally got in. Had to turn off the stupid windows firewall. Duh....

Fire$torm
05-23-11, 07:58 PM
Looks like I finally got in. Had to turn off the stupid windows firewall. Duh....

=)) =)) =)) =)) I feel your pain......

Maxwell
05-23-11, 08:04 PM
I'm not seeing you...

c303a
05-23-11, 08:18 PM
Well I have chatzilla up but I am the only one there

YoDude9999
05-24-11, 02:46 AM
HEY!

Chat is fine, kinda...I take it there are no gamers on the team? Have you ever tried Vent or Teamspeak for live voice chat? Got a mic? Speakers/headset? You've got all it takes!

If you guys like the idea, I'll sponsor a vent site that everyone can join for free! All you need is 1 download to get the vent client , set it up and you're set to go! Live voice chat over the internet for free anywhere in the world! We could hear our friends, "Down Under", from her "Majesties Kingdom", or even "Sunny California" or even "New York!"

Let me know what you guys think. I'll be more than happy to set this up for the Team!

Yo-

.....and Beerdrinker, I didn't forget about you either! :)

Maxwell
05-24-11, 03:00 AM
Actually, I don't have a mike. So I would have to be out. But I think this is a cool idea...

On a side note, we had a pretty successful chat night. Not record-breaking by any means, but quite good. Let's keep this up!

YoDude9999
05-24-11, 03:13 AM
Get a mic!

c303a
05-24-11, 09:17 AM
I have a mic and camera. I use skype right now and I would be in. I have always said that it is better to talk then type.

Fire$torm
05-24-11, 09:37 AM
I have Vent and Teamspeak but never had to use them. Most games I play have built-in Voice support. It would be kool to have a voice chat night. Then we could hear how drunk Max truly is :D

Dandasarge
05-24-11, 08:45 PM
I have Vent and Teamspeak but never had to use them. Most games I play have built-in Voice support. It would be kool to have a voice chat night. Then we could hear how drunk Max truly is :D

I've lobbied for a Vent/TS chat never turned into anything

DrPop
05-24-11, 09:24 PM
Maybe I am just too computer illiterate at this point, but the chat we have seems a little "hard" to access for the "average" person. If there was some way we could make a web page or something where they just "clicked" on a button...:o

Duke of Buckingham
05-24-11, 09:32 PM
Skype is a good option for chating and you can call with voice without losing speed. Skype is a very friendly environment. You can open a team room and have someone to administrate the chat Including and deleting people.

Duke

Maxwell
05-24-11, 10:08 PM
Maybe I am just too computer illiterate at this point, but the chat we have seems a little "hard" to access for the "average" person. If there was some way we could make a web page or something where they just "clicked" on a button...:o
We used to have one on the old boards...:mad:

YoDude9999
05-25-11, 12:05 AM
Well, I didn't really see any nayers to the vent thing. Give me a week or so and I'll set up a small (10 -20 person) temporary (1-3 months) vent account and we can see how it goes with that. If it dies out, it's no great loss.

How may votes do I get?

Yo-

P.S. The idea is not to replace the weekly chat sessions, but provide an alternative method of communication on a different evening.

Maxwell
05-25-11, 12:09 AM
Without the tools to do it, I abstain, though I do so encouraging "yea" votes...

Fire$torm
05-25-11, 01:45 AM

OK, this is as close to "One Button" as I know. After this is setup it will take only two or three clicks to get into the chat room.

You will need two things.
1) FireFox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/) 3.6 or higher
2) ChatZilla (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chatzilla/) Plugin for FireFox

*Add ChatZilla to FF and restart.

*At the FF main menu click Tools > Add-Ons, find and click on the ChatZilla section and then click the Options button in the lower left corner which will bring up the ChatZilla Options window.

*In the Options window click the General tab find the text-box labeled nickname and enter the name you wish to use for the chat room.

*Next, click on the Startup tab and in the lower section labeled Auto-Connect URLs, click the Add button, enter irc://irc.freenode.net/team_seti.usa into the popup window and click OK. Now click the OK button in the Preferences window and close FireFox.

To run ChatZilla startup FireFox (This is Click #1) and in the main menu click Tools (That's #2) and finally click the ChatZilla menu entry (Click #3). ChatZilla will now automatically connect to freenet and enter the team chat room with your nickname.

That's it. Your in Like Flint. \m/

YoDude9999
05-25-11, 02:26 AM
Next to James Bond, Flint was my next hero!

Yo-

c303a
05-25-11, 10:31 AM
I'm in. I have mic and camera. Just let me know how to get into it.