PDA

View Full Version : WCG: several sub-projects ending soon

zombie67
07-15-12, 12:23 AM
https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,32499_lastpage,yes#384937

kaptainkarl1
07-15-12, 11:56 AM
Thanks Zombie! I was working on other things and would have missed out on those badges.

artemis8
07-18-12, 10:39 AM
Well I got to gold in phase 2 one, I still have it accepting wus but doubt I'll get to ruby. I imagine I should easily get the next level in C4CW though. Chugging away :)

kaptainkarl1
07-20-12, 07:19 PM
Well I got to gold in phase 2 one, I still have it accepting wus but doubt I'll get to ruby. I imagine I should easily get the next level in C4CW though. Chugging away :)
I am just trying to get to Green before it finishes. Keep on plugging Artemis8

artemis8
08-05-12, 12:48 AM
Woo made ruby in HCMD phase 2.

zombie67
08-05-12, 01:43 AM
Woo made ruby in HCMD phase 2.

Nice!

artemis8
08-14-12, 12:32 AM
Got my ruby stick figure in HFCC today too.

Duke of Buckingham
08-14-12, 01:06 AM
Got my ruby stick figure in HFCC today too.

:D Nice so ruby fireworks it is for artemis8.
Aha and some fireworks from Kansas city. :)

http://www.bestrents.net/RubyFireworks25_.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7076/7288242126_e8dc99e030_c.jpg

artemis8
08-14-12, 08:30 AM
hehe, thanks Duke!

artemis8
09-20-12, 11:46 PM
I got my gold badge in C4SW, I won't get the next one since they are basically out of work, so I aborted the rest, now onto HCMD 2, hoping to get the emerald one in it before it runs out (if I am lucky).

zombie67
10-14-12, 10:28 PM
Help Cure Cancer had about two years of work left. With the introduction of the GPU app, that is going to shrink by quite a bit. I don't think it's been running long enough to know how much yet. But it could be as short as only a few months. And running the GPU app won't get you much progress on your badges, if that is what you want.

I am running HCC as my CPU project now (in addition to the GPU), to make sure I get my badge goal asap.

kaptainkarl1
10-15-12, 09:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Hope it lasts long enough...

zombie67
10-16-12, 01:26 PM
Help Cure Cancer had about two years of work left. With the introduction of the GPU app, that is going to shrink by quite a bit. I don't think it's been running long enough to know how much yet. But it could be as short as only a few months. And running the GPU app won't get you much progress on your badges, if that is what you want.

I am running HCC as my CPU project now (in addition to the GPU), to make sure I get my badge goal asap.

Just before GPU was released, the estimate was 730 days left. Now the estimate is 255. I expect that to go down even further, as more GPU crunchers attach. Get on it (with your CPUs)!

pinhodecarlos
10-16-12, 06:32 PM
Can you post the link for that info estimate? Thank you in advance. Carlos

zombie67
10-16-12, 06:37 PM
Can you post the link for that info estimate? Thank you in advance. Carlos

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?3909-WCG-sub-project-durations

The current number in the report is down to 502 days. But it is a moving average, that hasn't yet caught up to the current crunch rate.

Rattledagger
10-16-12, 07:42 PM
A post by Kevin Reed, one of the WCG-techs, puts the current estimate at 100 - 130 days, but it's possible yet more HCC-work will be added on top of this:

We are still assessing the impact of the acceleration on the end date of the HCC1 project. Our rough estimate with 'known' work based on this acceleration is about 100-130 days until end of project. BUT my use of the word 'known' simply means the number of batches we are aware to run. What we are are is not equal to what the researchers want to run so we are discussing this further with them at this time.

However, we do not yet have any research project beyond HCC1 that we know can run on a GPU. While this has definitely shown the power of GPU working well, for an application that clearly fits the profile of being suitable for GPU, the researchers are still the ones that provide the code and they will have to determine if GPU would work for their project and then make the modifications.

It is important to us to have GPU capable projects, but we cannot promise them. Even then, we could find ourselves with a project that was written for CUDA and not be able to run on AMD graphics cards (or written for AMD but not CUDA). As a result, we ask that people not make purchasing decision without understand these caveats.

artemis8
10-18-12, 11:17 PM
I'm switching over to this one now. Gonna try to get emerald at least.

zombie67
10-19-12, 12:07 AM
I actually *stopped* the GPU version. No point in burning up tasks, fighting against my badge goals. ;)

zombie67
10-20-12, 11:36 PM
Damn, the rolling average is dropping fast! It stared at 730 days left a week ago. Now down to 277. I hope it levels out soon.

zombie67
12-24-12, 10:07 AM
Reminder: ONly ~80 days left for HCC!

nanoprobe
12-24-12, 10:31 AM
From Viktors, one of the WCG techs from a post dated Dec 10.

Based on the researcher's latest estimate, there should be at least 6 months of work still to perform on the Help Conquer Cancer project if we continue at the current rate. This can change if the rate of progress changes or if the scientists acquire more data to process.

Entire thread here (https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,34400_offset,0), although is has gone to 4 pages the first post is from Viktors.

zombie67
12-24-12, 10:34 AM
From Viktors, one of the WCG techs from a post dated Dec 10.

Entire thread here (https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,34400_offset,0), although is has gone to 4 pages the first post is from Viktors.

Yeah, but that doesn't match the charts. So if you are concerned about getting the badges, don't wait. Just in case.

Edit, and I see I was looking at the wrong line to boot. ~160 days left. Neeeeeever miiiiiiiiind.

zombie67
01-02-13, 07:37 PM
Computing for Clean Water just issued work again. Looks like folks are guessing it will last about 4 weeks.

Now I can finally change my Green into Blue!