PDA

View Full Version : PrimeGrid: Cheaters' credits rescinded

RSS
04-20-13, 04:59 PM
At the end of February, we discovered that a small group of people were cheating by faking results. Changes were immediately made to our validation software to prevent this from happening again.We have rescinded all the credits from the users who were cheating. To be fair, we've also deducted those credits from the teams they were in. Of course, not everyone in their teams are cheaters, but fraudulently gained credits shouldn't count towards team scores. Some of the teams affected are amongst the oldest, largest teams here, and in some cases those teams have lost in excess of 1 billion credits.The other team members, no doubt, knew nothing of the cheating, so no stigma should be attached to these teams, or their members. I'm listing the teams here only so that if you suddenly see your team's credits and/or rank have dropped, you'll know why.The following teams (team ID: team name) have lost credits:64: BOINC@Taiwan1: BOINCsts103: Dutch Power Cows2887: TaiwanROC852: SETI@Taiwan �x�W�ζ�

More... (http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=4976)

zombie67
04-20-13, 06:53 PM
Wow!

Duke of Buckingham
04-20-13, 07:25 PM
I am very sad for all of this.

pinhodecarlos
04-26-13, 08:51 AM
I am very sad for all of this.

Don't be sad, PrimeGrid stole "Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 Project" from mersenneforum.org users and also stole "The Riesel Problem" from b2, the administrator of the classic project.

So here we are dealing with cheaters and thieves. This is the reason I don't run PrimeGrid. I ran both classic projects and I felt robbed as many of others in my situation.

Carlos

Duke of Buckingham
04-27-13, 07:53 AM
Don't be sad, PrimeGrid stole "Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 Project" from mersenneforum.org users and also stole "The Riesel Problem" from b2, the administrator of the classic project.

So here we are dealing with cheaters and thieves. This is the reason I don't run PrimeGrid. I ran both classic projects and I felt robbed as many of others in my situation.

Carlos

There are several projects searching for primes and factors on many ways for many purposes. I don't know enough about primes and related issues to make any kind of judgment, it is, never the less, a pity that our work is creating the same data for lack of communication and vanity between the scientific community.

It is quite stupid that some members cheat only because they are here for the wrong reasons. Having more points doesn't seem an end or a purpose, having more points for personal vanity (cheating) can destroy everyone works and hours of computing because some want to have some more points.

The value of the work is connected to the precision and confidence of the results, that seems something all projects should be united to fight for but what do I know?

Being sad, it was more an expression to those that cheat (the crunchers) than to the complains between projects that I can not judge but I sure hope for the good of science the projects can come to any kind of understanding.