PDA

View Full Version : new posts auto hidden time out

zombie67
01-26-11, 07:31 PM
I could swear this was already addressed once, but I can't find the post.

Anyway, when you return to the site, and click "New Posts", it shows all the new posts since the last time you were there. You can read them or not. The unread are bold, and the read not-bold. After a period of time, that list expires, and everything unread is now marked read and removed from the list.

In any case, it is so fast now, I look at new posts, get to read one or two, get called away for a phone call or something, and when I come back, all the posts are gone from "New Posts". And I have no way to tell what I missed. Can it please be made longer? Maybe an hour?

Edit: Or better yet, could posts always stay unread until I actually read them? Other forums are like that, with a "mark forum read" button, which cleans up the remaining unread posts after I am done.

Mr. Hankey
01-26-11, 09:43 PM
Yes I recall discussing this earlier as well. Let me poke around in the admin box and see what I can dig up....

Mr. Hankey
01-26-11, 09:56 PM
From the FAQ:

How can I see the latest posts?

There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.

If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.

If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.

The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.

So the default setting should be 10 days... let me look and see if I can change it to the other setting

Mr. Hankey
01-26-11, 10:14 PM
I made a configuration change see if that helps things going forward.

Fire$torm
01-26-11, 10:22 PM
Thank you. Hope it works.

zombie67
01-26-11, 10:26 PM
Thanks!

Heh. Looks like everything became unread again. Probably a one time thing, due to the change.

What about a "mark all read"?

Edit: Never mind. It's already there under Forum Actions

Fire$torm
01-26-11, 10:47 PM
OK, it is working. And boy, I have missed a lot of posts..... and whole threads it seems.