PDA

View Full Version : Gigabit speeds

Bok
04-07-14, 01:51 PM
http://rstfiber.com/releases/rst-fiber-activates-americas-first-gigabit-state/

I've been talking with this company a little over the past few months and it looks like within a few more months I'll be able to have 1000Mbps/1000Mbps up/down with a static IP too ($99/month). Considering the highest available currently is 50/5 (which I was an early adopter of) this promises to be fairly radical. Rivaling Google Fiber in Kansas. Which btw Google are also looking at the RTP area for their next potential rollout too. In talking with one of the local city commissioners yesterday it looks like our town (Wake Forest) is really pushing to become the first gigabit town in NC to attract more business.

myshortpencil
04-07-14, 03:44 PM
Hot diggity dog! :cool:

Fire$torm
04-07-14, 03:52 PM
That is just too cool. Great news for your state.

Too bad states like Illinois (my home state) are controlled by mega greedy politicians. Because a company like RST would never get passed all the back door wheeling & dealing, red tape mumbo jumbo.

Duke of Buckingham
04-08-14, 12:22 AM
Sorry for putting this in here. Docking is not on my FreeDC stats account, it just disappeared but I am running the project the same way, can you fix that Bok?

DrPop
04-08-14, 12:54 AM
Wow. That is just amazing speeds. If that IS our capability then what is the "excuse" for the limited bandwidth we all get currently? :p

cineon_lut
04-08-14, 01:09 AM
The few that are in verizon fios can get blazing synchronous speeds. Also in Louisiana the lus fiber is blazing fast as well. Smart way for nc to build infrastructure and attract business.

Vic (mobile)

Fire$torm
04-08-14, 11:41 AM
Wow. That is just amazing speeds. If that IS our capability then what is the "excuse" for the limited bandwidth we all get currently? :p

That is strictly a matter of greed. U.S. has some of the highest fees for the lowest speeds on the planet.

DrPop
04-08-14, 12:24 PM
I agree to a certain extent, but setting aside the "greed" issue, what I meant is that they have such very limited roll out. I cannot seem to get anything faster at my office than 6Mbits DSL at the moment, even though they promised way faster service was coming over a year ago! It's not even a matter of me not wanting to pay their fee. Faster service just isn't even available "yet". ???
That's what I'm bummed about. If this was Alaska then I would understand. But it's not. ;)

Slicker
04-08-14, 01:58 PM
Nice speed! We are upgrading from 15Mbps to 100Mbps fiber at the office (for $1500/mo) but the best I can get here at home is still 50/5 via cable. 1000Mbps @ $100 is CHEAP!!!!!

Fire$torm
04-09-14, 02:01 AM
I agree to a certain extent, but setting aside the "greed" issue, what I meant is that they have such very limited roll out. I cannot seem to get anything faster at my office than 6Mbits DSL at the moment, even though they promised way faster service was coming over a year ago! It's not even a matter of me not wanting to pay their fee. Faster service just isn't even available "yet". ???
That's what I'm bummed about. If this was Alaska then I would understand. But it's not. ;)

Oh that. That is what is called throttling. It's very intentional btw.
The reason they throttle is because their backbone(s) (Their primary data lines)
A. Are not as wide ([The largest single packet in MB that can be transmitted on a single data line] x [The total # of data lines they own or lease]) as they let on.
B. Are not as fast as they let on.
C. Are not solely dedicated to their home subscribers. In fact, much is reserved for corporate clients and 3rd party leasing. The public user base get the scraps. And they charge you a very high premium with the "promise" of improved speeds at some undisclosed future date.

In other words they are bullshitting everyone but must subscribers are too ignorant or too apathetic to ever demand better performance for their dollar. That would require voting with their wallet which could mean having to do without the latest DWTS FB update or their daily quota of pron......

John P. Myers
04-09-14, 05:00 AM
Oh that. That is what is called throttling. It's very intentional btw.
The reason they throttle is because their backbone(s) (Their primary data lines)
A. Are not as wide ([The largest single packet in MB that can be transmitted on a single data line] x [The total # of data lines they own or lease]) as they let on.
B. Are not as fast as they let on.
C. Are not solely dedicated to their home subscribers. In fact, much is reserved for corporate clients and 3rd party leasing. The public user base get the scraps. And they charge you a very high premium with the "promise" of improved speeds at some undisclosed future date.

In other words they are bullshitting everyone but must subscribers are too ignorant or too apathetic to ever demand better performance for their dollar. That would require voting with their wallet which could mean having to do without the latest DWTS FB update or their daily quota of pron......
+1

Another issue with DSL is they have x bandwidth to split amongst everyone subscribed to their DSL service. All advertised DSL speeds are bullshit and you'll either find an asterisk next to it in the ads, or they'll use phrases like "up to", "as fast as" and other similar things. Also, those phrases will usually appear in a font size 1/10 the size of the rest of the text so you overlook it :p They do cap your highest possible throughput speed, but as for how slow it can get, there's no limit.

Cable and fiber and the only 2 types of service where you'll get (much closer to) your money's worth. Fiber/cable combos are great too.

DrPop
04-11-14, 09:18 PM
And that's where I'm screwed. I don't understand HOW they can do this in the "modern era" but I've been informed that cable lines stop about 1/2 a mile from my office. Really. huh. Take a look at zip code 93003. We're not exactly in the middle of nowhere. But apparently we are, at least according to the cable guys.
So I'm stuck with this crap DSL until something breaks loose. I'm not holding my breath, it's been 5 years already. :p

Justgeo1
04-12-14, 10:18 PM
And you aren't out in the boonies far enough to need cable TV? That is crazy! I'm in the 98166 zip and have had cable available since the late 50'... and I'm within spitting distance of Seattle!

DrPop
04-12-14, 11:44 PM
That's the funny part. There's cable all around - have cable internet at the condo here - it's just that for some reason the street my office is on never got cable ran to it! Strange, I know...the street was built up in the late '80s to early 90s I think, but for whatever reason, both of the cable companies around here claim the "other guy" is supposed to service that area. And I just smile and say "sure" whenever I get that line. ;)

Fire$torm
04-13-14, 05:08 PM
That's the funny part. There's cable all around - have cable internet at the condo here - it's just that for some reason the street my office is on never got cable ran to it! Strange, I know...the street was built up in the late '80s to early 90s I think, but for whatever reason, both of the cable companies around here claim the "other guy" is supposed to service that area. And I just smile and say "sure" whenever I get that line. ;)

Me thinks the business district refused to foot the bill so the cable vendors could turn a profit. Sound reasonable?

Justgeo1
04-13-14, 05:43 PM

That has to be so frustrating... I bet you can even see the cable lines from your office! Hope someone steps up and gets you plugged in soon!

Al
04-13-14, 08:14 PM
I'm stuck with DSL also. Time Warner did do a site survey and offered to hook me up...FOR $18,000 dollars. In fairness, I do live a bit off the beaten path, but not on the 18 grand path...geez!

Slicker
04-14-14, 10:00 AM
The same people who determine max bandwidth an ISP needs are the same people who decide how many bathroom stalls or urinals are needed in sports stadiums. They look at the average utilization rather than the peak.

At a previous employer (e.g. a publishing company who's name rhymes with the one that the show "The Office" used) there was a director of systems administration who decided we didn't need new servers because they were only running at 3%. From 9:30 to 4:00 on Monday thru Friday they all ran at 100% but the late afternoon, evening, night, early morning and weekends, they ran at <1% so the average was 3%. So instead of buying more or faster servers, the director decided to turn all the existing servers into virtual machines and get rid of 2/3 of them since they had such low utilization. They then became IO and network bound because there weren't separate drives or NICs for each VM so according to the stats, they remained at 3$ so it was a good decision. To save even more money they outsourced the data center so we went from a gigabit switched environment to where they had 350 people sharing a single T3 line (45 Mbps) for all LAN access (not WAN, LAN!!!). That became the biggest bottleneck so the need for faster servers became a moot point proving that the 3% utilization was correct and that the change to an outsourced data center had no impact on the business other than to save money. It was so frustrating working there that I quit. I've been working for myself ever since without regrets.

Bok
04-14-14, 11:01 AM
Strangely enough this is VERY similar to what I'm seeing right now in my work... I can't seem to get my voice heard unfortunately. How can you consider setting up a DB server in an LDOM serving 3Tb of data in a financial system for 500 users and only use two 'cores' of a CPU in that VM. Originally it was only 16Gb Ram too, but I did win that fight and get it bumped up to 128Gb Ram. Madness. All based on average utilization of current machines

The same people who determine max bandwidth an ISP needs are the same people who decide how many bathroom stalls or urinals are needed in sports stadiums. They look at the average utilization rather than the peak.

At a previous employer (e.g. a publishing company who's name rhymes with the one that the show "The Office" used) there was a director of systems administration who decided we didn't need new servers because they were only running at 3%. From 9:30 to 4:00 on Monday thru Friday they all ran at 100% but the late afternoon, evening, night, early morning and weekends, they ran at <1% so the average was 3%. So instead of buying more or faster servers, the director decided to turn all the existing servers into virtual machines and get rid of 2/3 of them since they had such low utilization. They then became IO and network bound because there weren't separate drives or NICs for each VM so according to the stats, they remained at 3$ so it was a good decision. To save even more money they outsourced the data center so we went from a gigabit switched environment to where they had 350 people sharing a single T3 line (45 Mbps) for all LAN access (not WAN, LAN!!!). That became the biggest bottleneck so the need for faster servers became a moot point proving that the 3% utilization was correct and that the change to an outsourced data center had no impact on the business other than to save money. It was so frustrating working there that I quit. I've been working for myself ever since without regrets.

Fire$torm
04-14-14, 02:54 PM
The same people who determine max bandwidth an ISP needs are the same people who decide how many bathroom stalls or urinals are needed in sports stadiums. They look at the average utilization rather than the peak...

Strangely enough this is VERY similar to what I'm seeing right now in my work... I can't seem to get my voice heard unfortunately...

I bet I know why. Those that come up with that rationale are the one who get paid the "Big Bucks". So of course they know what is best.

c303a
04-14-14, 06:39 PM
They must be engineers....professional procrastinators!

DrPop
04-14-14, 08:01 PM
@Slicker and BOK - wow. I can understand the frustration - sometimes averages are so far off the stats that management should be looking at, they'd be better off to just shake a magic 8 ball and pick an answer! :p It's a real pity you can't get these guys to all look at bottlenecks during PEAK time and figure out how to improve that. We all know productivity is based on the weakest link in the chain . . . :)

Mumps
04-14-14, 08:03 PM
We all know productivity is based on the weakest link in the chain . . . :)

And, more often than not, that weakest link resides in Management. :))

Bok
06-09-14, 01:04 PM
Quick update, looks like my neighborhood are going to be the first in the town to be connected. Utility locators have been out and about today, marking everything off and I took a quick drive out and the machines for laying the cables are around about to start digging. Getting closer!

John P. Myers
06-10-14, 07:25 PM
Must be nice :p

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

Bryan
06-10-14, 09:45 PM
And, more often than not, that weakest link resides in Management. :))

-or- the bean counting department :D