PDA

View Full Version : P4 cpu cooler

Crazybob's Son
01-31-11, 11:40 AM
I was wondering if anyone here had a spare CPU cooler w/mounting bracket? I figured I'd check if anyone had one lying around before going to pick up a cheap one at CompUSA.

Teratoma
01-31-11, 11:43 AM
Which Socket?

Crazybob's Son
01-31-11, 11:47 AM
Which Socket?

I believe 775 but can check when I get home from work today.

Fire$torm
01-31-11, 12:15 PM
I believe 775 but can check when I get home from work today.

An easy way to tell which socket your P4 has is that if your CPU runs a 64 bit OS then it has a LGA 775. None of the socket 478 P4's can run 64 bit instructions.

Crazybob's Son
01-31-11, 12:18 PM
An easy way to tell which socket your P4 has is that if your CPU runs a 64 bit OS then it has a LGA 775. None of the socket 478 P4's can run 64 bit instructions.

I am not near the motherboard/cpu at the moment but an easier way to tell is to look at the actual spot on the motherboard that the CPU goes into and it says right there b-)

Fire$torm
01-31-11, 12:37 PM
I am not near the motherboard/cpu at the moment but an easier way to tell is to look at the actual spot on the motherboard that the CPU goes into and it says right there b-)

LOL, OK. I had thought you where talking about a system that was already in operation.

Crazybob's Son
01-31-11, 12:41 PM
LOL, OK. I had thought you where talking about a system that was already in operation.

Sorry for the confusion there :D I had to give the smarta$$ response. The components are just sitting out at the moment waiting for a cooler to be put together and hopefully get it working so I'll have another cruncher with an 8800 crunching at the moment.

Slicker
01-31-11, 06:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had a spare CPU cooler w/mounting bracket? I figured I'd check if anyone had one lying around before going to pick up a cheap one at CompUSA.

I've got an older P4 (pre-775 socket) and CPU (2.0 or 2.4Ghz) sitting around that I could pull the cooler from. The hard drive, PSU, and RAM have all been removed already. I also have several 775 stock coolers sitting around at home that have never been installed. Once you figure out which you need, let me know.

Crazybob's Son
01-31-11, 11:47 PM
I've got an older P4 (pre-775 socket) and CPU (2.0 or 2.4Ghz) sitting around that I could pull the cooler from. The hard drive, PSU, and RAM have all been removed already. I also have several 775 stock coolers sitting around at home that have never been installed. Once you figure out which you need, let me know.

It is socket 775. PM sent Slicker