PDA

View Full Version : BitCoin Utopia: Campaign #3 - stopping work generation

RSS
03-02-15, 04:11 PM
The work generation for Campaign #3 has ended. There are still lots of WUs available.

Henri.

More... (http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_thread.php?id=790)

FourOh
03-02-15, 04:27 PM
OK what can I do to to get 900 hours on three machines (I have 6 U2 Antminers) before work runs out? If I fall short of 5k, well :|

I suppose I need to figure out how to run one WU per device. Looking it up now... if anyone has a shortcut please let me know!

Maxwell
03-02-15, 04:43 PM
OK what can I do to to get 900 hours on three machines (I have 6 U2 Antminers) before work runs out? If I fall short of 5k, well :|

I suppose I need to figure out how to run one WU per device. Looking it up now... if anyone has a shortcut please let me know!
You handle it via the cc_config file. Here's mine with two Ants:

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
<allow_remote_gui_rpc>1</allow_remote_gui_rpc>
<fetch_on_update>1</fetch_on_update>
<report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>2</count>
</coproc>
</options>
</cc_config>

Change the count to 6 and you should be good.

FourOh
03-02-15, 04:53 PM
Thanks! I was looking in the app_config where I changed
<cmdline>--usb :99</cmdline> to <cmdline>--usb :1</cmdline>
I forgot about the cc_config line.

I still need to get something like 300 more work units to have enough for my 5k hours goal. And with only 750 or so ready to send on the server, I have doubts I'll make it.

Any way to queue more than 50 work units per device? I'm thinking I'll could move all the ants to one rig, download as many WUs as possible, then move all but one to another rig, repeat over three machines.

Maxwell
03-02-15, 05:07 PM
That one I can't help you with - your strategy sounds pretty good, though...

Another option you could try is crunching full out on the CPU. Your performance will decline and you'll loose craptons of credits, but those WUs will take SUBSTANTIALLY longer, and you'd be able to make your hours goal.

FourOh
03-02-15, 05:15 PM
That one I can't help you with - your strategy sounds pretty good, though...

Another option you could try is crunching full out on the CPU. Your performance will decline and you'll loose craptons of credits, but those WUs will take SUBSTANTIALLY longer, and you'd be able to make your hours goal.

Well I came up with something better I think, and something I was able to do remotely. Just like we fake out the servers to build a bunker...

In cc_config:
<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>12</count>
</coproc>

In app_config:
<app_config>
<app_version>
<app_name>C-cgminer</app_name>
<plan_class>miner_asic</plan_class>
<cmdline>--usb :1</cmdline>
<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>12.000000</count>
</coproc>
</app_version>

Restart BOINC, download lots of work, then set everything back to correct amount (or not, I guess) to crunch.

Mumps
03-02-15, 07:16 PM
Yup. Kinda like what I was gonna suggest. just tell it you have a lot more ASIC's to use in order to build a cache. :)

But each WU really doesn't add a lot of hours, so it's still gonna be pretty hard to get to your goal. I know it'll be impossible to make it to mine, but I'm starting to see that I should never expect to get to that level on any of the campaigns as long as Henri keeps cutting them so short. :)

EDIT: And, oh, you could probably even use a combination of an inflated ASIC count in the cc_config.xml and an app_config.xml project_max_concurrent count of your real number of ASICs to keep that cache as bloated as possible, for as long as possible, while still only crunching the correct number of WU's at a time.

Maxwell
03-02-15, 07:20 PM
But if you crunch full-out on all threads while running the Ants, the WUs take MUCH longer - once you've built up your cache, the WUs that would have taken a few minutes with a thread or two free will suddenly take over an hour. Again, it will kill the credits, but might help make the hours goal.

FourOh
03-06-15, 10:36 AM
Yup. Kinda like what I was gonna suggest. just tell it you have a lot more ASIC's to use in order to build a cache. :)

But each WU really doesn't add a lot of hours, so it's still gonna be pretty hard to get to your goal. I know it'll be impossible to make it to mine, but I'm starting to see that I should never expect to get to that level on any of the campaigns as long as Henri keeps cutting them so short. :)

But if you crunch full-out on all threads while running the Ants, the WUs take MUCH longer - once you've built up your cache, the WUs that would have taken a few minutes with a thread or two free will suddenly take over an hour. Again, it will kill the credits, but might help make the hours goal.

Thanks Mumps & Maxwell! I did both of these things... inflated my ASIC count to get as much work as possible, and ran the work units on more threads than I had ASICs. The work units ran very long (30min-2hrs) and although many of them did not result in credit, I made it to 5000 hours with hardly any work units to spare :cool:

Maxwell
03-06-15, 11:08 AM
Glad you made your hours goal!

zombie67
03-06-15, 01:20 PM
It's a great feeling when a plan comes together like that.