PDA

View Full Version : FrozenCPU.com conspiracy

John P. Myers
02-28-11, 03:15 PM
m'kay...so as i mentioned a few days ago in another thread, i made a $125 purchase at FrozenCPU.com to upgrade my cooling system so i could upgrade my crunching power and finally spank Maxwell :D In that order, i had 4 feet of Tygon anti-microbial tubing. $4/ft. I only received 3ft of it, although everything else in the order was as it should've been. Here is the email exchange between the CEO (Mark), the shipping manager (Geoff) and myself:

From Me: i only received 3ft of the 4ft of tubing i ordered. it was in a plastic bag, coiled up. It looked a bit shorter than what i had ordered before i opened it. After uncoiling it and measuring the length, it was only 3 feet. This has prevented me from finishing my cooling system upgrade. Order # 0332086

From Mark: Please provide a photo of this please using a measuring tape?

From me: Can't do that. It's already been used. Had been waiting rather impatiently for it to show up and when it did, i had to do what i could to get my computer up and running again.

From Mark: So you want me to replace tubing that neither i can get back or prove that we shortened you?

From me: wow...ok...so i'm lying about a single foot of tubing. amazing. if i had been able to take the picture you'd probably say i cut a foot off of it before snapping the photo. amazing. tell you what, you keep your 1 foot of tubing. i'll be taking my business elsewhere.

From Geoff: May I ask who stamped this order invoice? How would you like to resolve this, can we send you a 1 foot piece?

From Mark (cc):He wont let us pick it up or take a pic. He already blasted us at RR. Leave this guy a alone

All this began saturday. Geoff seemed like he actually wanted to help resolve the issue instead of further pissing me off. His response though didn't come until this morning, and by the time i checked my email, Mark had already shut him down.

"RR" = ResellerRatings.com. It's the site that shows a customer rating on their homepage. Funny thing is, going through the listings, i can't find any review with less than 4 stars. In fact, after checking this morning, my review was gone. Where'd it go? I certainly didn't delete it. But Mark was kind enough to respond to it anyway. Here you go:

From me:
Forgot my old account username/pass so I quickly made a new account and ordered several items. In the past, i experienced no difficulties at all with FrozenCPU.com. Everything was great. This time, everything was great as well, except i was shorted 1 foot of the tubing i ordered. No big deal, right? I just need to contact customer support and it would be taken care of, right? Wrong. I'm being given the run-around and pretty much called a liar by some guy named Mark. All over a single foot of tubing out of a $125 order. Great job Mark! I'll be taking my business elsewhere out of principle, and no longer be recommending FrozenCPU.com to my fellow BOINC number crunchers at SETI.USA. Again, great job Mark!
Edit ReviewOrder Information: #0332086 on February 23 2011

From Mark:
FrozenCPU.com rep has responded posted Feb-28-2011“Customer emailed and said he was short 1 foot of tubing. We then asked for at least a photo with a ruler. Emailed back and said he cannot provide a photo because he used the tubing already. I then asked how can i pick up the faulty shorted piece with no product to exchange or at least a picture. Customer angrily replied that we were accusing him of lying and said he was never dealing with us again. I have emailed saved and will provide if necessary but will not post exact emails in the forum as it is against the rules.

On a side note- Being short 1 Foot of tubing in the industry ususally would put most builds to a halt as our customer base needs it more often than not in one continuous piece. Us sending him a 1 foot section would hardly rectify any build dilemma. Whats more is that when we asked for a photo we were met with paranoia and skepticism. We would have gladly shipped a new 3 foot section should he provided us with at least a photo.”

Paranoia? Skepticism? Really? Does anyone else here get that from reading the email exchange? lol
I'm planning a rebuttal, but would love to hear the thoughts and opinions of you guys :D

DrPop
02-28-11, 03:22 PM
The whole thing is a little sad. What do you think their cost is on 4ft of tube? Can't be much.
The best way to do it would have been to ship you the 4ft tubing, then when you got the new tubing back, either send them a photo of the 3 ft next to the 4ft (so they could see the difference), or just mail them back the 3ft piece so they have hard evidence.

Could have been that simple...wow. I feel for you, dealing with this kind of thing.

rgathright
02-28-11, 03:53 PM
You are doing the right thing because other team members will think twice when ordering from them! b-)

Fire$torm
02-28-11, 04:24 PM
Every job I have ever worked has been customer service related including 16+ years of retail experience, all I can say is Mark was wrong. No matter the tone of your reply to
So you want me to replace tubing that neither i can get back or prove that we shortened you?

That kind of attitude would have gotten me fired by any employer I've ever worked for.

I had a job once with these two rules:
Rule #1: The customer is always right.
Rule #2: When the customer is wrong, see Rule #1!!!

This employer used to BROADCAST it over the PA system on holiday shopping periods during open hours.......

So, though your subsequent communiques could have been better phrased, that did not give Mark license to respond that way. It was very poor service indeed. Doubly so in light of current consumer buying trends.

Hopefully, Geoff will attempt to make amends.

Best of luck.

Dandasarge
02-28-11, 04:33 PM
Ok just for the team! I deal in tube and pipe. Every kind yes even titanium (don’t ever buy that stuff). If you have never used or been to McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) if you are into extreme cooling check them out. They aren’t the cheapest place to buy something but there shipping is low. It’s an industrial catalog company I don’t know how many things they sell but it’s over a million for sure. They sell all the stainless fittings you would need/ brass if your cheep. 20+ types of tubing in every size.

Fire$torm
02-28-11, 04:48 PM
Ok just for the team! I deal in tube and pipe. Every kind yes even titanium (don’t ever buy that stuff). If you have never used or been to McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) if you are into extreme cooling check them out. They aren’t the cheapest place to buy something but there shipping is low. It’s an industrial catalog company I don’t know how many things they sell but it’s over a million for sure. They sell all the stainless fittings you would need/ brass if your cheep. 20+ types of tubing in every size.

Kool site. Reminds me of Grainger. I love hardware stores. Thx for the link.

Dandasarge
02-28-11, 07:29 PM
I personally know nothing about FrozenCPU.com or resellerratings.com. Nor have I ever herd of them much less used them. "RR" is owned by next tag, That company I do know. They are sales based. Would you take advice from consumers reports on washers and dryers if Maytag owned them? Or care anything about JD Powers if Ford owned them? Might as well call up Microsoft and ask whats the best Word Processor.

I would rely more on bbb.org They do hold an A+ rating with them so they will resolve the issue with proper force.

Something not really thought about by me because I haven't water cooled anything in years but doesn't anyone in the team own a CNC mill? the copper block can't be more then 5 bucks, the acrylic cap maybe 50c the adapters are 2-7 bucks depending on how shinny you want it. The heat exchangers are car oil, transmission, or heater coils with fans mounted to them. If you want "extreme" coolers, use a water cooler.

Sorry back to topic. Sure push with "rebuttal" If your retired with nothing better with your time. This really though bout 4 bucks, I'm not sure how much its worth. You could sue on principle though if you wanted. reselerrating has their site worded in a way that they couldn't be a target.

John P. Myers
02-28-11, 10:40 PM
I personally know nothing about FrozenCPU.com or resellerratings.com. Nor have I ever herd of them much less used them. "RR" is owned by next tag, That company I do know. They are sales based. Would you take advice from consumers reports on washers and dryers if Maytag owned them? Or care anything about JD Powers if Ford owned them? Might as well call up Microsoft and ask whats the best Word Processor.

I would rely more on bbb.org They do hold an A+ rating with them so they will resolve the issue with proper force.

Something not really thought about by me because I haven't water cooled anything in years but doesn't anyone in the team own a CNC mill? the copper block can't be more then 5 bucks, the acrylic cap maybe 50c the adapters are 2-7 bucks depending on how shinny you want it. The heat exchangers are car oil, transmission, or heater coils with fans mounted to them. If you want "extreme" coolers, use a water cooler.

Sorry back to topic. Sure push with "rebuttal" If your retired with nothing better with your time. This really though bout 4 bucks, I'm not sure how much its worth. You could sue on principle though if you wanted. reselerrating has their site worded in a way that they couldn't be a target.

Yeah at this point i don't even care about the single foot of tubing anymore. I'm getting my $4 worth by giving them a hard time, and easily costing them that much in business. Seems like a win to me, no matter the outcome. There's nothing they have that i can't get somewhere else.