PDA

View Full Version : BitCoin Utopia: CPU/GPU apps EOL

RSS
05-20-16, 05:02 PM
We are dropping these apps with the end of a campaign. The reasons are:

- inefficient
- less support from the devs
- app issues

There is a better usage for other BOINC projects.

-Reb

More... (http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_thread.php?id=1064)

Bryan
05-20-16, 05:13 PM
Dang, fewer WuProp stars =))

Dave gpu
05-20-16, 05:40 PM
Dang, fewer WuProp stars =))

Dam Bryan you got enough stars to start your own galaxy :))

Bryan
05-20-16, 06:22 PM
Dam Bryan you got enough stars to start your own galaxy :))

Yeah, but it is a case if a little is good then lots is better =))

zombie67
05-20-16, 06:32 PM
Booooo!

Dave gpu
05-20-16, 06:41 PM
Yeah, but it is a case if a little is good then lots is better =))

Spoken by a true star-tzar (*)

STMahlberg
06-18-16, 09:15 AM
So is BitCoin Utopia still worth running?

Frankly, I find BitCoin a bit hinky but I've ran other projects that fit into that category in the past.

dcushing
06-18-16, 09:27 AM
So is BitCoin Utopia still worth running?

Frankly, I find BitCoin a bit hinky but I've ran other projects that fit into that category in the past.

Yes it is still worth running if your a credit whore like me.
Their are still asic apps, if you have one.

STMahlberg
06-18-16, 09:39 AM
Yes it is still worth running if your a credit whore like me.
Their are still asic apps, if you have one.

So I can buy a USB BitCoin miner for $50, plug it in and I'm set?

Shandia
06-18-16, 09:43 AM
YES!!! Worth the run. If you are into general mining, try the NiceHash site. They let you mine different crypto-currencies with gpu and cpu with their software and then pay out in bitcoins. As for using sha256 miners, the rate is better than most pools. With gpu mining, um......lets just say my 4 gpus out mine my r-boxes and my 2 bfl 60 miners 2 to 1. Still, the miners are a nice bonus. That's if you get bored of points on Bitcoin Utopia and have no real need for wuprop stars. There's not another project out there that can touch BU if one is a credit hog. Sad to see the drop of the cpu and gpu instead of rolling with the punches of the new currencies.

Mumps
06-18-16, 09:57 AM
Or you can get an ASIC miner from a team-mate for less than $50. :D Depends on what kind of power source you can provide and how much power you're willing to put into it.

1.6 GH/s Ant miners are easy to come by just by asking and are just like a little thumbdrive with a heat sink. No external power required.
There are still 33 GH/s Rock Miners up on offer around here I think that simply need either a Molex to barrel power adapter, or a standalone power supply.
Pretty sure there are others that might be available around here as well.

STMahlberg
06-18-16, 12:06 PM
YES!!! Worth the run. If you are into general mining, try the NiceHash site. They let you mine different crypto-currencies with gpu and cpu with their software and then pay out in bitcoins.

General mining? Crypto-currencies?? Pay outs in Bitcoins??? When I see this I think... The Great Tulip Bubble of 1637, and the Dot-com crash in 2000 among others. I just came for the credits. :D

Or you can get an ASIC miner from a team-mate for less than $50. :D Depends on what kind of power source you can provide and how much power you're willing to put into it.

Power source? I was just hoping to plug it into the wall... or do I need a Fusion Reactor? :confused: I mean are we talking a noticeable $ increase on my power bill?

My interest is certainly peaked and I'd be interested in getting one of these devices; however, getting back into crunching again, economics is a major factor. I've decided that I can afford to have my power bill increase $100 a month towards crunching. What ever number of rigs that is, I don't know at this point.

dcushing
06-18-16, 04:24 PM
I just came for the credits. :D

Power source? I was just hoping to plug it into the wall... or do I need a Fusion Reactor? I mean are we talking a noticeable $ increase on my power bill?

My Rbox draws 40 watts, takes power from a molex plug off the computer power supply (or can use any 12v power source), and willl get you 35 mill credits in Boinc, a day.
Cant complain!

If U are interested in one, talk to Sphnix, he has a couple left (maybe), all they need are new fans.

I get my fans for the Rbox's at newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106157&cm_re=775_cpu_fan-_-35-106-157-_-Product

nanoprobe
06-25-16, 11:24 PM
Linux noob question. Can Rboxes or BFL monarchs run on Linux?

Mumps
06-25-16, 11:41 PM
Personally, that's what I prefer to run them on.

Rock-33's - Ran only cgminer on Linux with no problems.
BFL60's - Ran cgminer on Windows and Linux. windows would lock them up every now and then, Linux never did.
Rock-100's - Only running them under Linux cgminer. The one that would randomly hang on Windows for Bryan is much happier under Linux, but that's most likely because it now has it's own dedicated PS.
RK-Box (450 GH/s) - Ran on both Windows and Linux cgminer. Linux is more stable, but does still lock a blade every now and then.
Monarch (750 GH/s) - Ran bfgminer on both Windows and Linux. I did have to provide my own bfgminer app for the Linux install though. The one Henri distributes doesn't have all the command line options Henri is passing to the wrapper, and so his won't run on my Ubuntu 14.04.4 hosts.

The biggest thing is you have to read the cgminer docs and follow the easy steps required to get cgminer working under Linux. Basically adding IDs for the ASICs for the Hot Plug subsystem and granting your boinc user the rights to access the hot-plugged devices.