Thread: Back again!

Brian_w001

Back again!

I started crunching for SETI so long ago I forgot what year it was. First my personal computer and later I added my kids computers after hours. On and off for years during several moves around the country and then SETI kinda dropped off my RADAR and it's been years since I last contributed to the project.

Recently I finally replaced my old gaming laptop with a new gaming computer and while watching a TV show about space science yesterday it mentioned the SETI project. Well, I booted up my system, installed BOINC and set it to running SETI@HOME when I went to sleep for the night.

Today when I woke up I found that my results had jumped up by 20%! What!?! What a vivid example of how much faster computers are now compared to not that many years ago. In just a few days I will double the number of results I had spent years gathering when all this started.

I have not searched the forums but I wonder what the managers of this project have seen concerning the amount of results returned over the years. Does the increase of computing power offset the loss of interest (like me) and loss of contributors? Has there been a loss or actually and increase in the numbers of contributors due to the price drop of computers? If anyone has links to this type of information I would be happy to read up on it.

I've been a member of this forum before but this is the first time I've posted. I apologize for the length of the post!

Brian

Past Administrator

Re: Back again!

Welcome back! Enjoy.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Welcome and congratulations on your 1st post

Administrator

Welcome back. If you are going to run Seti you might want to install the optimized applications that run MUCH faster than the stock ones from Seti. You can find them HERE

Administrator

Welcome back, we're glad to have you here. I certainly couldn't answer specifics about the SETI project; however, according to BoincStats, SETI is still the number 1 project for popularity. I would imagine that they're not doing too bad.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Greetingz and welcome back.
    I think computer viruses should count as life ... I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. -Stephen Hawking

I am not the only person who uses his computer mainly for the purpose of diddling with his computer.

Past Administrator

Hi Brian! Glad to have you onboard with us. Some interesting stats on all BOINC projects, including SETI, can be found on BOK's www.free-dc.org, specifically this link here: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=projmain

You can't go by "total credits" to determine popularity, because some projects give higher or lower credit than others for the same amount of work units crunched. I think you would have to look at a different metric, something like what is shown on this page: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=sah
    If you look at the bottom right two graphs for cumulative users and hosts, there doesn't seem to be any drops recently at least, so it would appear the popularity of crunching SETI is still somewhat high, even given all the other projects out there we crunch as well now. Hope that helps a little!
    And welcome to the team again,
    Jed