Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: T5500

Administrator

Re: T5500

I have a 570s in mine, using a molex to 6 pin adapter for the 2nd power source. One of the Z600s has a 570 and a 750ti in it, the 750ti doesn't require additional power.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    I have a 570s in mine, using a molex to 6 pin adapter for the 2nd power source. One of the Z600s has a 570 and a 750ti in it, the 750ti doesn't require additional power.
    How are these at crunching MW?
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    How are these at crunching MW?
    About like any other nvidia, much slower than ati. Although, the 500 series did have better DP than later series IIRC. Thw 750ti is slower, but uses a lot less power.

Administrator

Just got my other Z600 delivered; it's in pristine condition just like the first one. Unfortunately, my parts from Amazon won't be delivered until the end of next week.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    I think I'll setup one of the Z600's with what you have. The other one I'd like to put a couple of ATI's in it... I'm looking for something that would do better than my HD5870's but doesn't require (2) 6-pin power.

I was looking at the R7 350 and the RX series that most don't appear to require additional power but I have no idea what kind of crunching they're capable of doing. Money is tight, and I don't want to spend more than $100 if I don't have to on each card. It's already going to take me upwards of a year to pay off what it's cost me so far to buy and get these Z600's going.

Administrator

I'm so close to getting my other Z600 going... I finally got my other WD 1TB HDD yesterday but I'm still waiting on (2) items, a molex to 6-pin connector, and a display-port to VGA adapter; unfortunately, neither will get here until next week sometime. If I had either, I would be able to have it up and running now.

I'm also rebuilding (2) GTX-460's that I got from Doug (which I appreciate); however, they are both in dire need of help. The one pictured here was missing screws; along with plastic stand off pop rivets that hold a second heat sink in place which I can't find anywhere. You probably already know this but you won't find 0-40 screws at Home Depot. I'm also waiting on (2) 85mm fans to replace the 50mm fans (not the correct size) that were on both cards.

Between the fans, contact cleaner, degreaser, and misc parts, I have a little over $60 into this rebuild. I'm looking forward to seeing what these will do. The only Nvidia cards I have are a GTX 710 in the Lenovo and a GTX 560M in my Qosmio; at least they'll crunch GPUGrid... although they are a little slow.

20170223_234907.jpg

Silver Member

On the issue of hardware for your hardware... I have a solution for you but you probably won't like it. Zip-ties, over at Overclock.net they have a years old thread about "the mod" or "the red mod". It was taking an AIO cooler (ie h100) and mounting it to a GPU. People discovered that zip-ties worked pretty well. You use the two zip-ties as one fastener, snug them all down evenly like they were head bolts, and then snip off the tail of the one acting as the nut. This may not be your style but if you're a utilitarian like me and just want stuff to work it'll work just fine.

Here's the thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/o...ka-the-red-mod

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    On the issue of hardware for your hardware... I have a solution for you but you probably won't like it. Zip-ties, over at Overclock.net they have a years old thread about "the mod" or "the red mod". It was taking an AIO cooler (ie h100) and mounting it to a GPU. People discovered that zip-ties worked pretty well. You use the two zip-ties as one fastener, snug them all down evenly like they were head bolts, and then snip off the tail of the one acting as the nut. This may not be your style but if you're a utilitarian like me and just want stuff to work it'll work just fine.

Here's the thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/o...ka-the-red-mod
    I've got a 7970 with two zip tied aftermarket fans. Works great! Thanks to Jed for the creative mod.

Past Administrator

Hey STM, I have at least one Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II in my parts bin. I should still have all the hardware needed to mount one on a GTX card. Are you interested?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Don't forget to check any gpu boxes you may have laying around. Sometimes they come with a molex to 6 pin adapter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast