Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: T5500

Administrator

Re: T5500

The only advantage to the SSD is speed. Theoretically it will help crunching but in reality I'm not sure you could ever quantify it

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

How long will a SSD last running boinc on it, not the OS, but the BOINC folder?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    I've had 6 of them running for 3 2/3 years without a failure .... yet! They were on my 6 I7-3930K machines and I'm still using them for Windows on the upgraded machines.

Each of the machines does share part of a 1TB drive for Windows storage and Linux. The OS and BOINC are installed on the SSD on all of them and always has been.

EDIT: actually that isn't totally accurate. On 2 of the machines I upgraded 3 months ago I replaced the 120G SSDs with 1TB SSDs. So 4 have been running for 3 2/3 years and 2 only ran for 3 1/2 years (they were working fine when I took them offline). I think Sphynx is currently using one of them on his machine.
    Last edited by Bryan; 02-13-17 at 12:29 AM.

Administrator

...and it's still running without issues.

Administrator

It really gets my panties in a bunch when USPS doesn't do their job. Apparently, they never scanned the tracking number for this Z600 shipment. I sold on Ebay for about a year and there was one particular post office that pulled this #%$! all the time. It wouldn't get scanned until it was out for delivery. I changed post offices so that kind of stuff stopped happening.

I think it's suppose to come tomorrow. This seller has an excellent rating and I'm chopping at the bit to buy the other identical rig but I was hoping to see this one first.

What to do, what to do...
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 02-17-17 at 04:18 AM.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    It really gets my panties in a bunch when USPS doesn't do their job. Apparently, they never scanned the tracking number for this R600 shipment. I sold on Ebay for about a year and there was one particular post office that pulled this #%$! all the time. It wouldn't get scanned until it was out for delivery. I changed post offices so that kind of stuff stopped happening.

I think it's suppose to come tomorrow. This seller has an excellent rating and I'm chopping at the bit to buy the other identical rig but I was hoping to see this one first.

What to do, what to do...
    I hate USPS! Package was supposed to arrive today but it got misplaced and won't come until tomorrow. Never fail when it is parts. This is a new CPU for a laptop that is down.
    What to do? Do what I do. Just get it since ebay is very good with returns if something is wrong.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    I hate USPS! Package was supposed to arrive today but it got misplaced and won't come until tomorrow. Never fail when it is parts. This is a new CPU for a laptop that is down.
    What to do? Do what I do. Just get it since ebay is very good with returns if something is wrong.
    You twisted my arm! I just bought it.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Gold Member

It sure didn't take much twisting. Hope they work great.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Administrator

You fold pretty quickly...I should know because I also have no restraint...as do many others around here. Congrats!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    I have at least 1 SSD in all of my rigs (even the Pentium 4), but the one that's seen the most use is the Samsung 840 in my 3770K rig. Like Bryan's, it's been going for over 3 years and is handling everything (BOINC, OS, etc.). Last i checked, it's only about 1/4 of the way through it's expected life cycle, based on TBW (terabytes written). No complaints at all.

I prefer to have 2 120GB SSDs in each system, 1 for BOINC and 1 for OS/drivers. Having the OS on a separate SSD allows the computer to access both drives at the same time when needed, preventing lag (this trick was also done with regular HDDs for the same reason). Boot times are also improved. Updates to the OS/drivers/anything also download faster (the network buffer is able to dump downloaded data to the drive faster) and install faster.

Having the OS on a separate SSD also means that SSD should last decades since it's rarely written to. If the BOINC SSD eventually wears out (still should take 10 years+), it's much simpler to replace it with no need of reinstalling the OS.

If you have/get a Samsung SSD, be sure to enable Rapid Mode, which reserves 1-2GB of RAM and writes to it instead of the drive. This makes the drives last even longer and increases data throughput by 120x or more, in short bursts.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 02-13-17 at 05:04 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast