Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: T5500

Administrator

Re: T5500

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    You twisted my arm! I just bought it.
    You remind me of me and that's not necessarily a good thing I think you will really like those machines. I have 3 of them and they've been excellent performers!

Administrator

Gotta love Goodwill; I picked up (3) 15" VGA/DVI monitors and (2) Dell usb keyboards for $37.

I'm tired of having to move 1 monitor and a keyboard between 2 rigs and I need monitors for my servers that are coming.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Gotta love Goodwill; I picked up (3) 15" VGA/DVI monitors and (2) Dell usb keyboards for $37.

I'm tired of having to move 1 monitor and a keyboard between 2 rigs and I need monitors for my servers that are coming.
    How about a KVM switch? Saves on electrical outlets around here.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    How about a KVM switch? Saves on electrical outlets around here.
    It's been a few years since I priced one of those... I'll have to check.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Once I have my dedicated systems configured, the only thing I have connected is the power, network cable and DVI dongle (which is only really needed if crunching on AMD GPUs and you want to control fans and overclocking. Also needed to control Nvidia GPUs under linux).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    Once I have my dedicated systems configured, the only thing I have connected is the power, network cable and DVI dongle (which is only really needed if crunching on AMD GPUs and you want to control fans and overclocking. Also needed to control Nvidia GPUs under linux).
    Network... oh crap. LOL I need to buy some wireless usb dongles.

Two of my rigs are problem free, the Aurora, my main rig, and the Qosmio laptop; however, my other 2 are a pita because I have miners attached to them. Those are the two that I had to move a monitor between; recently the miners have been running smoothly but I've had some issues with Linux running on them. Nothing big, just me having to remember to suspend core projects when the VM is running or the thing locks up. I plan on dual booting the R600's at least that's the plan at the moment... that may quickly change.

The monitors are only $10, and most of the time they're off when I'm not doing something with them. Once I get the Z600's going, I'll probably get a switch for them to share hardware for at least cord management.
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 02-17-17 at 04:17 AM.

Gold Member

I have 3 of my computers set up on one something like this one and I use the 4th port for an extra hookup when I am working on someone elses computer. It has been working for several years now and I have just now replaced 2 of the cables. 1monitor, 1 keyboard and 1 mouse with headhones plugged in as well. I love these things and they are really inexpensive.
    https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-4-Po...s=kvm+switches

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    I have 3 of my computers set up on one something like this one and I use the 4th port for an extra hookup when I am working on someone elses computer. It has been working for several years now and I have just now replaced 2 of the cables. 1monitor, 1 keyboard and 1 mouse with headhones plugged in as well. I love these things and they are really inexpensive.
    https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-4-Po...s=kvm+switches
    That is now on my Amazon wish list.

Administrator

It's here! It's here! I'm like a fat kid in a candy shop.

This unit is in pristine condition... like its never been used before. I think the only place this has been is in a box on a shelf somewhere.

Silver Member

Little late to the party here's my experience. I bought a t5500 in Dec 2015 for about $400 shipped and another $100 for more ram. It was a dual x5650 with like 8 or 12gb of ram, a 150gb hdd, an nvidia quadro fx1800, and a win7 pro COA. I took out the fx1800 and put in a 750ti. I have all 9 ram slots filled with 4gb sticks, cpuz reports its in tripple channel. Just noticed my windows 7 ram score is 7.8, as well as the CPU. Graphics 7.0 but hdd 5.8 If you're gonna regularly use it get an SSD, if its just a cruncher hdd.

Not sure how things are on the HP side but everything is proprietary in the Dells, the only things that aren't are the Molex and PCI-E connectors. So double check your connections and clearances before you go about adding anything. I presume the z600 is far more spacious as the riser board setup on the Dell is pretty big. It works well though, I've probably had the riser and all its components removed 6x or so. If the riser is pulled it boots just fine but the BIOS will tell you the config has changed. We had a "thing" a while back about having a hot cpu and a cool cpu on the t5500 and we all thought it was the riser one but it wasn't. The bios bootup is pretty slow on the dell so if an SSD for bootup times is on your mind it won't save you much here. That said the BIOS are actually pretty good and easy to navigate/configure. I've only crashed the machine once and it failed to boot. It went through a repair check and was fine, the machine is rocksolid besides the primary cpu fanless/heatsink.

The ebay vendors are kind of funny. Some really put the value on ram, some the dual sockets, some windows keys or shipping. So you gotta find the one that works best for you. I personally wouldn't buy a t5500/t7500 or z600/z800 anymore. The next couple of generations were produced pretty quickly and have already been replaced so you can often find good deals or parts on those too. here's my little matrix of product line and generation ive been dabbling with:

Size Westmere Sandybridge Ivybridge Haswell+
    Small t1500 t1600 t1650
    Medium t3500 t3600 t3610 t3620
    Mediumer t5500 t5600 t5610 t5810
    Large t7500 t7600 t7610 t7910
    Tiny z200 z210 z220 z230 z240
    Small z400 z420 z440
    Medium z600 z620 z620 z640
    Larger z800 z820 z820 z840

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast