Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: T5500

Diamond Member

Re: T5500

FYI, that old quado GPU won't crunch many products. Many require a higher CUDA compute version. But it does work for SETI for sure. So don't just chuck it.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    FYI, that old quado GPU won't crunch many products. Many require a higher CUDA compute version. But it does work for SETI for sure. So don't just chuck it.
    That 450 is going to have to do for a while before I can afford anything decent to put in it. Just ordered a couple of display port to VGA adapters. So it's going to be another week before I get this one running; by that time my second Z600 will be here.
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 02-17-17 at 04:17 AM.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

You keep saying r600, I'm confused on what that is.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    You keep saying r600, I'm confused on what that is.
    My Bad... Z600
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

So last night I realized that the Quadro NVS 450 has display port connectors on it. I figured that I would pick an adapter up at Fry's until I saw they were $30 a piece. Amazon's price, $6.99... I'll wait a few days to save $23 a piece.

So I ordered (1) of these, TRENDnet 4-Port USB 2.0 KVM Switch, another one of these, WD Blue 1TB SATA, and (2) of these, Benfei DisplayPort to VGA Adapter That should get here sometime next week about the same time as the other Z600; so I'll be able to get those up are running about the same time.

So adding 24C/48T to the fleet. And eventually (4) more GPU's when I can afford it.

Administrator

I remembered that I had a spare GeForce 210, so I threw that in so I could get a monitor on it. It's up and running now; although, I did panic at first when I ran CPU-Z and it said that I had 12 cores and only 12 threads... then it dawned on me that hyperthreading was turned off. I'm all better now.

It's being a bit finicky about letting me connect to it remotely with BTasks.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg;
    So I ordered (1) of these, [URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JP1TFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"
    TRENDnet 4-Port USB 2.0 KVM Switch[/URL], another one of these, WD Blue 1TB SATA, and (2) of these, Benfei DisplayPort to VGA Adapter That should get here sometime next week about the same time as the other Z600; so I'll be able to get those up are running about the same time.
    Nice. I like the WD Blues. I have 8 of the 1 TB ones and they just seem to be like the Energizer Bunny. They just keep going. I have 6 of them running and 2 are kept as spares.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

I feel like hard drive brands are kind of like Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar. Everyone has their story and reason why they use what they use. I've personally never bought anything but Seagate. The only problems I've ever had with them was probably my own fault trying to run a software RAID-0 on one of my first self built computers. Now that SSDs are the thing I hear far fewer of these stories probably because people aren't trying to reap all the speed they can out of them like they had to with HDDs.

My next BOINC hardware purchase will probably be another workstation but I'll be holding out for a Haswell architecture and by the time they're cheap enough they'll either have an SSD or SSDs will be cheap enough to throw one in. Just not sure if I want to start an army of SFFs or stay with full size mobos. I feel like I could get away with random SFFs in different rooms doing things like HTPC, NAS etc and still BOINC away.

Administrator

I have a new question about adding a couple GPU's to the Z600. Can you use a second PSU with (4) PCI-e 6-pin to power a couple of GPU's?

Or do I need to remove the old PSU and replace it with something bigger?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    I have a new question about adding a couple GPU's to the Z600. Can you use a second PSU with (4) PCI-e 6-pin to power a couple of GPU's?

Or do I need to remove the old PSU and replace it with something bigger?
    Yes, you can use a 2nd psu, but you'll have to attach a psu tester or short the pins to make it think it's attached to a mb.

As for upgrading the psu, more difficult. You probably can find one with more watts, but it probably won't have extra pci-e connectors. These servers weren't designed with upgrades like addition gpus in mind. Like Dell, HP probably uses proprietary parts/connectors to complicate things even more.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast