Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: baddest build...6k budget

GregK

Re: baddest build...6k budget

Quote Originally Posted by jeeprnovru View Post
    actually that topic came up in conversation today and the case will be sitting under i window unit in the room its gonna be in...i want to get some dryer hose and rig it up to gulp some AC and plumb it into the case...yehaw! its a frigirare BTW
    that will work good especially on those days you "crank it up" to the max!

jees i didnt even consider dual gpu cards. those are a monster in itself.
    will u be using a full tower? cappy has some nice box's with several huge fans. cant remember what box it was though. i think they have 2 6 inch fans on the side which would be great for cooling.
    i went and bought a big expensive tower only to find it cools 20 degrees better with the side off. pissed me off! (thermaltake kandolf 9000s supertower blk) cooling/airflow will be an important issue here. dont depend on a/c that should be just a benefit in my book.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeeprnovru View Post
    It's not modular....ewwwww....
    But still a good PSU. Same brand i use...except modular

jeeprnovru

i want liquid cooled but id have a nervous breakdown thinking about leaks....i like the looks of the mineral oil cooled stuff....WWW.EXTREMEOVERCLOCKING.COM is a pretty cool forum for builders.

jeeprnovru

ASUS GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II specifications:
    GF110 GPU
    8 phase power supply for GPU
    2 phase power supply for memory (1 draws from 8-pin and one from PCIe slot)
    More efficient power supply with more power per phase
    Highly efficient NEC power capacitor behind GPU
    Dual 8-pin power connectors

DirectCU 2 cooler with 5 copper direct-contact heatpipes

Dual 100x20mm fans for low noise
    Requires 3 expansion slots

Past Administrator

The best bang for the buck is with GPUs. Hands down. Get yourself a good x6 core AMD or x4 core i7 CPU + a mobo with 2 or 3 PCI-e slots that both run at 16x speed. That won't break the bank - easily done for $350 to $400. That's all you need. The exotic stuff is just going to waste your money if you're after credits - let's all be honest.

Throw your $$$ at the PSU (which you just did! ), and GPUs. Get 2x the dual cards - either (2) NVIDIA 590 or (2) AMD 6990 GPU cards, so you effectively have 4 GPUs. You will easily have a rig that crunches well over 1Mil per day... on 1/2 your budget.
    If you really want to spend $6K to help out the team ... BUILD 2 OF THESE MONSTERS!

EDIT: if you want to get a modular PSU, it might be worth it - you could cancel your order for that one, return it, and/or you can find them around 1000W for a little over $120(+) - $150 at NewEgg sometimes...when they're having a good special.
    Thank you for the help, by the way!

jeeprnovru

i appreciateall the advice guys! keep it coming

GregK

speaking of ati or nvidia which project are you planning to focus on? nice psu!

Platinum Member

After lots of thought and consideration, i present to you the single most badass build of any number cruncher in the world. Ever. (for $6k)

First and most importantly, return that pissant PSU and get this one instead. $400

Then I recommend this motherboard. $530

Then put this processor in it. $595 (cheapest 6 core)

With this SSD. $190

With a pair of these. $1730
    And 1 of these. $700
    And this for the last slot. $740

Add for your RAM. $290 or....
    If you don't mind going $85 over budget, i strongly suggest you get this RAM instead. 8-8-8-24 vs. 6-8-6-20 mmmm sexy! $390

This liquid cooling kit. $260 (+additional hoses, clamps, barbs = $290) Use the radiator in this kit for your CPU only.

For a radiator to take care of the GPUs, get a transmision oil cooler. Only $40.

HAF-X case + extra fans = $220
    23" Samsung monitor: $230
    Some random CD/DVD drive = $30

TOTAL COST: $5,985 ($6,085 with the better, faster RAM)
    With this beast, you'll be winning

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    The best bang for the buck is with GPUs. Hands down. Get yourself a good x6 core AMD or x4 core i7 CPU + a mobo with 2 or 3 PCI-e slots that both run at 16x speed. That won't break the bank - easily done for $350 to $400. That's all you need. The exotic stuff is just going to waste your money if you're after credits - let's all be honest.

Throw your $$$ at the PSU (which you just did! ), and GPUs. Get 2x the dual cards - either (2) NVIDIA 590 or (2) AMD 6990 GPU cards, so you effectively have 4 GPUs. You will easily have a rig that crunches well over 1Mil per day... on 1/2 your budget.
    If you really want to spend $6K to help out the team ... BUILD 2 OF THESE MONSTERS!
    I would advise taking a couple steps further if max credits is the goal - find a mobo with 3 PCIe slots triple spaced - put the cheapest CPU and RAM in there and don't crunch on the CPU. Only use them to feed the GPU. Pick up a crapton of GPUs in the "sweetspot" o' money. A 6950 is ~$230 right now three in a box (caseless if you're adventurous) and you can probably do 1M/day on ~$1000. Multiply that by six. Then get DrPop to pay the power bill...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    After lots of thought and consideration, i present to you the single most badass build of any number cruncher in the world. Ever. (for $6k)
    Well played, JPM. Well played...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast