Thread: baddest build...6k budget

jeeprnovru

Re: baddest build...6k budget

http://www.amazon.com/P5E3-Premium-W.../dp/B001620G0A

what do yall think for the MOBOs?

jeeprnovru

CPUs
    a friend is trying to sell me these...what do yall think?
    this is seti usa's baby your advice...my money hpoe all the questions dont annoy i just want my teams input!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeeprnovru View Post
    CPUs
    this is seti usa's baby your advice...my money hpoe all the questions dont annoy i just want my teams input!
    That CPU and mobo are fine if you're gonna build 2 systems with that $6k. The single system i mentioned before would net you more credits/day though and use less electricity and take up less space and make less noise, put out less heat, etc. etc.

But if you changed your mind and decided not to spend $6k, you could make a pretty awesome system from this board.

GregK

CPUs
    i think the quads would be more than enough what counts is price in my book! i have the q9450 and i do believe on ebay they are still going for over 300$ if he sells em to ya for half that jump on it id say. but as has been proved with the ps purchase do not jump first hear from at least 2 knowledgable people here. i say that because i jumped with out asking for advice and f-ed myself on a pos video card im now stuck with. man was i pissed! my fault 101%. but no you will never bother anyone here with questions bunch of computer and gaming geeks here bring it on!

Past Administrator

DOIN THIS FOR THE TOP GUN TEAM...WE WILL PUT A BOOT IN GERMANYS ASS.
    LOL! Well, SIC is our first worry, but really we need to hop it up above the French. That way when SIC comes SCREAMING up from behind, we won't ever fall below 3rd. Now, of course I'd love to see us at #1 again, but that'll be a bit. [of work and time]

Past Administrator

Yeah, please - don't spend that hard earned cash until you get a census here - I learned that the hard way myself. Congrats on the SWEET CASE, by the way!

OK - I'll bite on the socket 775 stuff. It's old tech, uses a lot of electricity, but could be worth it. Those Intel quads can O/C good, and are pretty fast.
    What can you get the CPUs for? What can you get the mobos for? That's the deal maker / breaker right now.

An AMD X6 1100T can easily keep up and/or beat one of those for $200. The i7 940 is only $270 and would be head and shoulders above those when O/Ced...

So it all comes down to the price - if it's good, then yeah. If not, then let's try to build you out the best bang for the buck.

Did you decide to go with 1 Mega Rig or 2?

CPUs
    Please make sure you pay a fair price for those Q9400 processors. If they are used/overclocked they may have stability issues above their rated clock speed.

I would not pay more than $200 each.
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

jeeprnovru

we havent hashed out the price yet, me and this guy have been great friends since high school so its gonna be one of those kinda deals...im sure i wont have to pay to much. im wanna do two systems but ive seen some pretty good arguments for one mega! (JPM) se we shall see!

Past Administrator

Yeah, JPM is the man on the mega machines. I like to read all the tech articles on Anandtech and Tom's hardware and stuff...but I just don't have time to get too deep into it these days.
    If you want the BEST rig you could possibly buy...I'd go with whatever he throws out there! But, the HAF-X case is simply tops. Can't go wrong there. That will probably be my next case, when I finally have the $$$ to max out the HAF-932 I have.

My conclusion - I think after re-reading some of our posts here, I'd vote for a newer tech on the mobo and CPUs...as JPM showed it could be done all in one rig, more credits, and at a good power savings too.

Platinum Member

Hate to bump this thread, but i'd just like to say i got my ass handed to me lol

We were discussing the amount of memory needed in a system to comfortably run pretty much any project you wanted, with no limitations. I personally have a quad core with 8GB RAM. And it crashed. Why? Only 2 cores were running the tiny little Renderfarm project, which demanded 4.2GB from each core at the same time. Unfortunately, i allowed BOINC to use 90% of RAM, even while the computer was in use. This combo didn't work too well I've since dropped it down to 70%.

Looks like if you want to be able to crunch any and all projects at will, you'll need to go with 6GB RAM/core. 32GB on a 6 core would most likely work as well.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast