Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: baddest build...6k budget

Diamond Member

Re: baddest build...6k budget

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Hate to bump this thread, but i'd just like to say i got my ass handed to me lol

We were discussing the amount of memory needed in a system to comfortably run pretty much any project you wanted, with no limitations. I personally have a quad core with 8GB RAM. And it crashed. Why? Only 2 cores were running the tiny little Renderfarm project, which demanded 4.2GB from each core at the same time. Unfortunately, i allowed BOINC to use 90% of RAM, even while the computer was in use. This combo didn't work too well I've since dropped it down to 70%.

Looks like if you want to be able to crunch any and all projects at will, you'll need to go with 6GB RAM/core. 32GB on a 6 core would most likely work as well.
    That was a cock-up on by the project *AND* on the BOINC client. BOINC is supposed to suspend tasks when it gets that bad, you know, the "waiting for memory" message. Even at 90% setting, it should have allowed only one to run at once if it needed 4.2gb.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    ...and I think this point of view is relevant, because who really wants to run a crap paying project, and therefore let SIC kick our behinds that much faster anyway?
    Me? And I suspect most of the MegaStoners?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Me? And I suspect most of the MegaStoners?
    Yep. Anyone working on milestones needs to be able to crunch every single project, regardless of how many credits it pays. As far as a good paying project that uses alot of RAM? AQUA can get pretty high at times where you'll need at least 2GB/core to get by. Beyond that though, not really.

That was a cock-up on by the project *AND* on the BOINC client. BOINC is supposed to suspend tasks when it gets that bad, you know, the "waiting for memory" message. Even at 90% setting, it should have allowed only one to run at once if it needed 4.2gb
    Yep. Problem was the system was using more than the remaining 10% which caused the lockup. BOINC was still trying to hit the 90% cap, but never made it because of the system usage.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    Thats the most useful thing you have ever posted!
    I am in a cranky mood. And this is NOT pointed at *anyone* in particular.

Er, we are *all* running this project for the *free credits*, right? So we all already know about this project, and what it does, right? This should not be new news to anyone on the team.

Edit: Also, to avoid confusion, heartbreak ,and wasted money, we should be talking about gb/thread, not gb/core. For AMD, it is still 1-1, so there is no harm in calling a core a thread. But for intel, it is a different situation. Especially now that we are in now the second generation of modern Intel chips with HT. And no end in sight. As far as BOINC is concerned, it counts threads, not cores. So we really need to plan RAM per thread, not core, so there is no confusion, regardless of CPU.
    Last edited by zombie67; 04-02-11 at 12:59 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

jeeprnovru

be cool bitches!

Platinum Member

Hey jeep. how the build going? Any updates? I just ordered a new rig, nothing like what your looking at, but a nice one just the same.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678