Thread: M$ Purposely Blocks Windows Update on CPUs

Platinum Member

M$ Purposely Blocks Windows Update on CPUs

Seems if you use Intel's Kaby Lake (or newer) or AMD's Ryzen CPUs, and also use Win 7/8/8.1, M$ will be intentionally blocking Windows Update on your PC. Unless, of course, you pay for Win 10.

M$'s gotta go...

Administrator

Re: M$ Purposely Blocks Windows Update on CPUs

It's not quite as bad as you make it sound. MS spent a bunch of time/effort/money/engineering resources adding Broadwell support on Win7/Win8 which are basically retired. They announced at the time that Broadwell would be the last generation of Intel processors to be supported. From a business perspective why would they continue to invest in old OSs?

It's like XP, there comes a time to move on.

Silver Member

I knew it, last few win 7 builds would not update

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    It's not quite as bad as you make it sound. MS spent a bunch of time/effort/money/engineering resources adding Broadwell support on Win7/Win8 which are basically retired. They announced at the time that Broadwell would be the last generation of Intel processors to be supported. From a business perspective why would they continue to invest in old OSs?

It's like XP, there comes a time to move on.
    They also spent a bunch of time/energy/resources making Win 10 compatible with a Pentium 3 for no reason The differences between the backend of Win 10 and 7 aren't that different. They make it sound like a monumental effort when a simple copy/paste of the code from Win 10 into 7 puts them at 95% completion.

There's also the issue where only Win 10 will support multi-GPU rendering in the Vulkan API. M$ claims this is because WDDM 2.0 is required which only exists for Win 10. However, Vulkan has no problem using multi-GPU setups in Linux where no version of WDDM exists at all.

Gold Member

It's a simple case of those with the money make the rules and M$ has the money. Until another simple operating system comes out that can compete with them they will set up their program to work the way they desire. If you want to use it you are either going to have to figure out a hack to change it to your liking or abide by what they want. I don't like it either but I don't know another program so I guess I am stuck unless I can figure out Linux and I want to change all my computers and laptops, which I have no desire to do.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

I do like 10 better tho. you can you can disable updates as well

Past Administrator

Kind of stuck with MS Windows for work software, so ... guess it is what it is for some of us. I've never really been a Microsoft basher, although like any company, sometimes they do stuff that just leaves you scratching your head...Linux seems like a nice alternative these days if you don't have any software that requires Windows. I've long thought Adobe and MS were in cahoots, because if Adobe would just port its software to Linux (Shouldn't be hard if they can get it to run on Mac OS), that would take a huge bite out of the problem for a lot of businesses to switch operating systems.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Kind of stuck with MS Windows for work software, so ... guess it is what it is for some of us. I've never really been a Microsoft basher, although like any company, sometimes they do stuff that just leaves you scratching your head...Linux seems like a nice alternative these days if you don't have any software that requires Windows. I've long thought Adobe and MS were in cahoots, because if Adobe would just port its software to Linux (Shouldn't be hard if they can get it to run on Mac OS), that would take a huge bite out of the problem for a lot of businesses to switch operating systems.
    The solution to Windows only apps is Wine. Wine is a Windows emulator for Linux and it is under constant development. Most of big game titles run really well in Wine which is a good thing, as gaming was the single largest driving force behind Windows and PC hardware development.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I have a computer that I am building from very old spare parts. I might have to try wine. Right now all of my computers run Win 10 64 bit and I run the Win 10 insider preview on 2 of them. Like most people I have run M$ since it came out and have never used anthing else except the old Dos 1.25 on an old Sanyo MBC 5555 dual floppy 5.25 inch computer that ran Wordstar, Calcstar, and Reportstar. I had to call my son down to the computer everytime I wanted to do something. He was in highschool and knew more about it then I did. (He probably still does.)

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours