Thread: wireless bridge just around 1/4 mile distance help

Gold Member

wireless bridge just around 1/4 mile distance help

mt contract with my cable company ended a few months ago and they have been raping me on the price since im no longer on a contract , recently i got behind and i was going to bring it back up on friday.
    at work i have a 50/50mbs connection which sure beats my 30/10 on the home connection, after talking to my boss he said if i could hit the wireless from my house i could use it for my home connection

its about a 1/4 mile away maybe slightly more with just about really clear line of sight just some minor tree branches in the way , what do u guys think i would need hardware wise to have a reliable connection over that distance

im thinking a good high power n adapter and 24dbi panel antenna for the house side and another 24dbi panel for the work side hooked to a spare linksys router i have that i could plug into the network at work
    overkill for that range?

Past Administrator

Re: wireless bridge just around 1/4 mile distance help

Before all that, you should consider using two Yagi antennas, one at each location. That setup will not require any signal boosting. Actually, you should be able to get away with just using one at your house.

Wikipedia on Yagi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi-Uda_antenna

DIY Yagi articles:
    AB9IL.net - A High Gain Yagi Wi-Fi Antenna
    Instructables - Easy to Build WIFI 2.4GHz Yagi Antenna

Yagi's @ Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_pr...price-asc-rank

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Something you might not know is the "gain" figures in the 1st Yagi article are dBd (decibel DIPOLE) and not the bogus dBi figure. So add 2.5 dB to the articles figures to equate to the market BS numbers like the 22 dBi you quoted. dBi is decibel "isotropic" which is a theoretical, non-existant, unity gain antenna that doesn't exist in the real world. It is primarily for marketing hype.

A second consideration is that you need to convert to "digital" as quickly as possible. Meaning the closer the router is to the antenna the better. RG6 coax, the common stuff used for Sat TV etc, has a loss of 11 dB per 100 feet @ 2.4 GHz. That means if your antenna is 100' away only 1/10th of the signal you started with will make it to the other end of the cable. That is for good RG6, not the crap they sell at Home Depot or Radio Shack

Past Administrator

I read a long time ago where some guys beamed WiFi across a several mile wide valley with two yagi antennas. I'm sure there's a way to do 1/4 mile fairly easy. You have to focus the beam, that's one of the key points. NO omnidirectional stuff. You want very directional antennas on both ends that you can aim at each other.

Gold Member

thanks guys before i had to leave town i was able to find my old 1watt wifisky adapter and 9dbi omni directional antenna, with it mounted up high i can just hit the connection from work though speeds are hovering between 75-100kb/s , i think either a single yagi or directional panel on my end will be more then enough

Silver Member

wow man got hit back to to 56k again now that good to know you still have internet hope you get the new hardware and get back up to speed