Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New GPU app

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member

New GPU app

GPU app
    As some of you may have already noticed, there is a GPU version of Enigma software available for testing. It requires nvidia GPU, and probably will run on anything that supports CUDA, I have tested it myself on a couple of low end cards and it ran just fine, except that the system was lagging and WU runtime was very long.

Until yesterday it required app_info to run, this was changed and currently it will be sent to any host that has 'beta work' allowed in preferences. I have reset the beta flag to off for everyone.

The app is marked as "beta" because there are still some issues both on the client and server side. Also, currently the GPU app runs via wrapper and that causes some issues, for example, this page says that interrupting GPU app while it is running the kerney may cause system crash. This is worst case scenario and so far I haven't seen it myself, but I assume it's possible.

Other than that, if left untouched, the app runs smoothly. At this moment it'll only run on CUDA device #0.

Progress bar does not work with the current version of the wrapper, but it's not a high priority thing at this moment, as tasks are relativery short: from ~20 minutes on GTX1050 to around 3m30s on 1080Ti. The app uses internal checkpoints and will automatically resume from the last checkpoint if restarted.
    26 Jun 2017, 18:22:48 UTC

Administrator

Re: New GPU app

So has anyone got any of these to complete successfully. If so, what cards and what drivers. Mine all end in computational errors after a few seconds.

Diamond Member

I am able to get them to complete, no problem. This is on windows machines, with a TITAN and two 750 Tis. I am using the latest drivers from nvidia.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Is the system updated with SP1?

Do you have any older C++ re-distro's that you might want to uninstall? or 32 bit distro's?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    Do you have any older C++ re-distro's that you might want to uninstall? or 32 bit distro's?
    I have several... I should uninstall all but the 2015 x64?

Edit: Tried it, restarted, cleaned registry, still not working on either machine. Bummer
    Last edited by FourOh; 07-03-17 at 11:18 AM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    I have several... I should uninstall all but the 2015 x64?

Edit: Tried it, restarted, cleaned registry, still not working on either machine. Bummer
    I have 4 rigs 2 t3500 Xeon machines. & 2 dual cores, 1 amd & 1 intel, that will not run the app
    New install of win10 on the t3500 + VC2015 still no go. Pulled intel 2 core and install ( i5 4 core and it worked.)

From TJM
    Volunteer moderator
    Project administrator
    Project developer
    Project scientist

Run the executable from command line and check for any error messages.
    You can use the executable from project folder or just download this https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...s/2.0_test.zip and run one of the bat files.
    Last edited by Dave gpu; 07-03-17 at 02:37 PM.

Silver Member

Currently only device #0 is being utilized, but there are 4 instances running in BOINC Manager. In actuality, the first card is ( running all 4 tasks simultaneously,) but the manager is reporting each task is on a different GPU.

Advisor - Stateside Division

Mine also fail after a few seconds. I've just installed the VC2015 C++ package though, so when I get any new tasks we'll see if that fixes it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Mine also fail after a few seconds. I've just installed the VC2015 C++ package though, so when I get any new tasks we'll see if that fixes it.
    After I installed VC2015 yesterday it started working. Before that they failed immediately.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    After I installed VC2015 yesterday it started working. Before that they failed immediately.
    They still failed with the VS2015 installed for me. I'm now updating my driver...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast