Thread: Monitor / screen resolution / gaming? questions

Past Administrator

Monitor / screen resolution / gaming? questions

Alright, I admit it's been quite a while since I was in the market for anything like this, so...the last monitors I bought were 27" 1920x1080 screens and they were pretty much the top of the heap, if that tells you when that was...

I'm trying to figure out what kind of screen I want to use as a monitor for the "gaming" computer I'm going to put in the living room. Kat really wants a computer at home again to game on, (she has a Surface Pro 3 for school stuff), and got the OK from the Mrs. to bring one of the rigs home (I have all 5 of the 3930K rigs at the office right now).

How much of a graphics card does it take to run a moderately demanding game at 4K these days? - like the latest Tomb Raider or Counter Strike CS:GO are a couple that Kat likes to play.

Is there much of a difference in what you see on the screen at 4K vs 1920x1080 screens? I've honestly never used or even seen a 4K screen, I don't think.

Is there any reason I couldn't just use a medium size - like thinking anywhere from 35 - 45"? 4K LCD TV screen for this? Might be kind of nice in the living room, just thinking out loud there...or should I just go get another 27" 1920x1080 screen for a pittance these days and call it good? Can't believe how low the prices are on them compared to when I bought the couple I have at the office right now. But then, makes me wonder just how much better a big - 32" plus - 4K screen might be?
    Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Administrator

Re: Monitor / screen resolution / gaming? questions

Well 1st off I think for gaming you would need 2 GTX 1080ti tied together That should handle any games you want to run now and probably for a long time into the future.

Platinum Member

No single GPU exists that can run most games at 4k with ultra settings and never drop below 60 FPS. 2560 x 1440 is the sweet spot right now. If you get one with a refresh rate above 60Hz, even better.

The downside to using a tv as a gaming monitor is they don't have the tech to make gameplay as smooth as it could be (see vsync, freesync, etc.).

4k is definitely super clean looking (depending on how good your eyesight is) but 1440p is certainly good enough.

Past Administrator

OK, thanks. Sounds like "affordable" 4K gaming on high settings is realistically a ways off yet.
    If I go with a 1440 or even just 1080P screen again, what is the target ms delay I should look for? Also I see some of them go higher than 60hz now and that’s what I want, right? I need to go read up on this stuff.

Gold Member

Just go get a 65" curved UHD. That should satisify the living room and the gaming. It's only money.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    OK, thanks. Sounds like "affordable" 4K gaming on high settings is realistically a ways off yet.
    If I go with a 1440 or even just 1080P screen again, what is the target ms delay I should look for? Also I see some of them go higher than 60hz now and that’s what I want, right? I need to go read up on this stuff.
    5ms or less. 1 is optimal but of course costs more. Also at 5ms a PLS or IPS panel type is great. At 1ms you'd want SVA. Avoid TN panels. They are generally 1ms but have worse color reproduction.

May also be worth mentioning that the Samsung 144Hz SVA panels outperform Asus 200Hz AHVA panels.

I do my gaming with an outdated 1200p monitor. I wanted to upgrade to 1600p a couple years ago but those monitors are nearly impossible to find in the size i need and the price is higher than a 4k. I should just get a 1440p but i keep my fingers crossed for reasonable 1600p one day soon

Platinum Member

Might also be worth mentioning if you get AMD's new RX Vega liquid cooled GPU pack for $699, you also get $100 off a Ryzen 7 CPU and $200 off a Samsung CF791 3440 x 1440p curved gaming monitor. Also comes with a game or 2 i think.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 08-06-17 at 08:16 PM.