Thread: 4790k Getting up to 100C

Silver Member

4790k Getting up to 100C

I am trying to get back in the game. I have been running my 2 980's for a couple of days no problem. But today I started up some CPU task on prime grid and when running them my temp go straight to 100c. I had the cpu oced so I returned everything to stock and it still does it. I turned cpu use in Boinc down to 75% and it help but I still see spikes to 100c. I have a H100i on it that is around 4 years old idle temps are from 35c to 40c.

All your base are belong to us!

Administrator

Re: 4790k Getting up to 100C

Quote Originally Posted by aux9o View Post
    I am trying to get back in the game. I have been running my 2 980's for a couple of days no problem. But today I started up some CPU task on prime grid and when running them my temp go straight to 100c. I had the cpu oced so I returned everything to stock and it still does it. I turned cpu use in Boinc down to 75% and it help but I still see spikes to 100c. I have a H100i on it that is around 4 years old idle temps are from 35c to 40c.
    Sounds like you may have lost the pump on your cooler. I would suggest replacing the TIM first, but I'm betting that won't help. Oh, and welcome back.

Administrator

I'm betting your H100 is toast. I ran 5 machines with them and at about the 3 1/2-4 year mark I had 2 of them fail. They did similar to what you are describing. The pump seems to lose the capability to move enough water even though the Corsair Link SW shows them as running at a high RPM. In my case I was able to back off to stock speeds which allowed me to keep running them until I got the replacements.

Silver Member

Any guess as to around what it should be? I just tightened the mounting screws some and it appears to be somewhat lower. Here is a screen shot of corsair link. temps.JPG

Silver Member

Any Suggestions/Recommendations as to what to replace it with?

Administrator

I just looked at my I7-3930K and the max temp on a core is 57C with the pump at 1800 RPM. Since I run remote and tie into that machine it is running stock clock rates. When OC'd and running 100% load it stays below 70C. Your H100 is bad!!!!

If your H100 is 4 years old there is a newer version of the same thing. The 2 failures I experienced were replaced with those. JPM has no use for Corsair but I figure if they lasted 4 years running full bore 24/7 then they did their job.

EDIT: to my knowledge the other 3 are still working properly.

Platinum Member

Lol you remembered my general disdain for Corsair Anyway my 4790K runs around 70-72C with a small 10% OC using some CoolerMaster AIO. Don't remember the model but only paid about $70 for it.

Silver Member

I just checked on corsairs website and it appears that there is a 5 year warranty on the H100i. Thank god bestbuy saves purchase dates from way back when so I just submitted a RMA. If they do not replace it I will be going with a Noctua NH-D15.

Past Administrator

Even all these years (and AIO water coolers) later, still really hard to beat a Noctua for noise level vs cooling power unless you go with a 280mm+ sized radiator.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by aux9o View Post
    I just checked on corsairs website and it appears that there is a 5 year warranty on the H100i. Thank god bestbuy saves purchase dates from way back when so I just submitted a RMA. If they do not replace it I will be going with a Noctua NH-D15.
    I have 2 of the Noctuas and I'm very pleased with them. Keep in mind the are tall and heavy.