Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel design flaw: slowdown coming

Diamond Member

Intel design flaw: slowdown coming

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01...u_design_flaw/

PostgreSQL SELECT 1 with the KPTI workaround for Intel CPU vulnerability https://t.co/N9gSvML2Fo

Best case: 17% slowdown
    Worst case: 23%

— The Register (@TheRegister) January 2, 2018
    This is a huge deal, especially for services like AWS.

Time to re-run the benchmark comparisons with AMD, once the flawed intel "cheating" has been fixed.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: Intel design flaw: slowdown coming

Time to make sure that "updates" are turned off

Platinum Member

DEFINITELY make sure automatic updates are OFF (they should be anyway). Windows, Linux, iOS, everything. This will be a real killer, especially when using VMs. That "worst case 23%" is a load of crap, actually. Phoronix has demonstrated up to 53% slowdown after the patch, but as low as 1%. Just depends on specific processor and workload, as always. Of course this also means you can never update the OS in the future either. Sell it all and switch to AMD (which doesn't have the bug), or keep it and look for cheap Intel CPUs on eBay to upgrade with As of right now, Intel's stock is down 6.7% just today. This is bad.

The bug is hardware based and cannot truly be fixed without buying a next gen CPU (Coffee Lake, at best, which won't be available for months). These OS patches are just workarounds, hence the performance hits.

Past Administrator

Yeah, I just saw this a few mins ago on the Parallax robotics forum. Dang...that is a serious hit to performance.

Administrator

Just wait till the data centers etc feel they have to upgrade their HW. Then the machines which are great for our needs should show up at really good prices. Just install Win7 w/o the internet connected and enjoy

Diamond Member

Basically Intel has been using a cheat, to improve performance (insecurely).

With that cheat blocked, I would really like to see the comparisons to threadripper re-run.

Also, the huge server farms (AWS, Google, etc), are suddenly going to be down on capacity, and will have to buy more immediately. This could lead to component shortages and price increases for a while.

Edit: This is probably going to cost Intel $BILLIONS$ in law suits. Of course, it will just be the lawyers who get rich.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Well Threadripper isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread Z. They had to do a special version of AVX2 optimized apps for Threadrippers on Rake Search because they execute some AVX commands very slowly.

Past Administrator

I think the AMD CPUs to get will be this next round. I saw some site talking about their refresh chips due out early 2018, and they are moving to a smaller nm Node process. That should help efficiency (credits per watt in our case), and hopefully they would fix the little AVX stuff and things like that from Gen 1.

@Bryan - that's not a bad idea, just crunch off Win7 w/out updates and all if the hardware prices start dropping on some of that higher end crunching stuff over the next year or so. Wouldn't necessarily work for daily driving rigs, but for "cruncher only" rigs maybe.

Platinum Member

Just a heads up on the Intel PR machine...

In a lame attempt to save face, Intel issued a statement in which they tried to point the finger at every CPU brand (AMD, ARM, etc.) and every OS as also being equally as vulnerable/at fault. This is false. AMD has since returned fire to discredit Intel's joke of a PR statement. The exploit (called Meltdown) has been tested heavily since this news broke and no CPU brand other than Intel has failed the test. Intel's remarks regarding the expected slowdown of their CPUs because of patches are also just filler and don't actually answer the question.

Intel's new motto: If you can't win, deflect.

Platinum Member

Windows just rolled out the Win10 update 4-5 mins ago. Hope no one is downloading it lol

*Edit: There is a second bug (called Spectre) that can affect AMD, ARM, etc., but it is extremely difficult to implement. Meltdown is the main (and far easier) exploit which is the real concern, and is the one that'll slow down our CPUs upon patching. A lot of shilling for Intel going on right now, even from some reputable sites who are not differentiating the 2 exploits to make it appear everyone on earth is vulnerable. This is absolutely false. Here's a table to use as simple reference: (Data provided by Google Project Zero who are the ones that discovered the bug in the first place)
    intelkernelexploit.JPG
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 01-03-18 at 09:05 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast