Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel design flaw: slowdown coming

Diamond Member

Re: Intel design flaw: slowdown coming

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Well Threadripper isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread Z. They had to do a special version of AVX2 optimized apps for Threadrippers on Rake Search because they execute some AVX commands very slowly.
    Sure. And even worse for AVX-512. But now the intel price premium is that much harder to justify, when there is even less of a performance advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Will there be a way to install an OS without getting the performance robbing updates or be a way to remove it?

Past Administrator

This is not looking good. At first it seemed like you could just keep the fast (old) kernel and web browse in a VM. Now there is some thought it could breach that. So...I honestly don't see how for any "normal use" computer we can get away with not updating with the patch. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I set my Windows 10 rigs to postpone updates but it only allows for 1 month of postponement. Bizarre, I've never seen that before. Is there any way to stop Win 10 updates altogether?

Diamond Member

Only Enterprise Win10 customers can completely prevent updates. The rest of us can only delay.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Only Enterprise Win10 customers can completely prevent updates. The rest of us can only delay.
    Wow. What a crock. I wish I had never updated any of my rigs now. So Win 10 is the first OS that requires OS updates? As in, the end user has no control over them?

Silver Member

Question: If, in Windows 10, Windows Update is disabled, it only delays the update? It will update automatically anyway? Bummer.

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Windows Update>right click>Properties>Startup type>Disabled. And Stop the service if it is running.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    This is not looking good. At first it seemed like you could just keep the fast (old) kernel and web browse in a VM. Now there is some thought it could breach that. So...I honestly don't see how for any "normal use" computer we can get away with not updating with the patch. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I set my Windows 10 rigs to postpone updates but it only allows for 1 month of postponement. Bizarre, I've never seen that before. Is there any way to stop Win 10 updates altogether?
    how bout buy a new HD and install vista on it or maybe win7 and use your old HD's for target practice.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Gold Member

ok I have a box that did a download last night I think. it was set to download but not to install. now I have disabled update. i went to restart and it only allows me to update and restart or update and shut down. how can I find and remove the update.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Administrator

Another pisser is any Intel CPU later than Broadwell is not supported on Win7 so you have no choice but to run Win10.

SYSBOT, has a free anti-malware program and also one that they came out with after the Win10 intro that would keep Win10 from phoning home. Even if you disabled the features manually some Win10 updates would turn them back on. Sysbot's program would turn them back off. It also had a feature to block updates.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    ok I have a box that did a download last night I think. it was set to download but not to install. now I have disabled update. i went to restart and it only allows me to update and restart or update and shut down. how can I find and remove the update.
    An Internet search found the following:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
    Open the Download folder and delete its contents

. . . let us know if it works . . .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast