Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New build, need recommendations (chassis & CPU cooler)

Diamond Member

New build, need recommendations (chassis & CPU cooler)

I am considering a new build for a cruncher. Probably a Threadripper 1950x (16/32). (Yeah, I know poor AVX compared to current Intel. But I just don't see that being worth 2x the price.)

Anyway, I am looking for a new chassis. For almost a decade now, I have been using HAF-X. They are huge, and could hold anything I might decide to throw in there. At the time, I was very interested in machines with four huge GPUs. I am not so interested in GPU crunching any more. The power cost is just too much. So it doesn't need to be ginormous any more. I am looking for

- Something that will fit ATX, with up to two full size GPUs.
    - Room for and mounting holes for a double wide CPU cooler like this. See question below
    - No need for room for any optical drives, or drives. I am using only NVME sticks going forward.
    - Quiet

Speaking of double-wide CPU coolers, 5 years ago, there was one that was clearly awesome and one that was clearly crap. And that was the whole field. But now I see there are like 10 different brands. Is there any consensus on which is best?

Finally, I see the the thread ripper needs lots of cooling, if you try to OC. Correct? Is the double wide liquid cooler the way to go? If overkill, alternative suggestions? FWIW, I would be only pushing it as far as it could go an still be very stable for sustained crunching. Noting too extreme.

Thanks!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: New build, need recommendations (chassis & CPU cooler)

Isn't there supposed to be a new version of the Threadripper coming out fairly soon? I thought JPM mentioned it and the hope that they fix the AVX implementation. I think it was in the "meltdown" thread where he talked about it. It was sticking in my mind something like this Spring.

EDIT: That's not the thread Z - you and I commented on Threadripper AVX there. Somewhere JPM did a post talking about why Intel AVX is faster than AMD. Intel uses 2 AVX reisters but they work for all commands. AMD has 4 but 2 do one thing and then have to switch over to the other 2. That's the thread where he mentioned a new version coming sometime and I was thinking he said in Spring. It might be worth checking out ... they could be right around the corner.
    Last edited by Bryan; 03-03-18 at 08:29 PM.

Administrator

Z, Threadripper 2 is slated for 2nd half of 2018 according to what AMD said at the CES conference.

Diamond Member

New build, need recommendations (chassis & CPU cooler)

Yep. I was the one pointing that out, about the date for v2. 2nd half = December. So I am not waiting. Even this poor version of AVX is better than the alternative I was looking at, a referb dual 10-core ivy bridge server.

Anyway, about those questions...

🤷🤷🤷

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In my opinion that DW cooler should suit anything in normal crunchin. Handle it quite well in fact.... Just about any large mid tower to full tower can handle the board with plenty of room for good airflow. (space = cooling efficiency) I use Haf 932's and Rosewill Blackhawks for my builds. (for the last 7 years in fact)

I'm about to stuff an SM X10DAX into one of the Haf cases. (specs say it should fit but it's pushing it)

I think you will like the TR even with the wonky AVX registers

Diamond Member

Whelp, I priced it out, and I decided to go with the referb. The price of memory is crazy high lately, ~$800 for 64gb. Throw in mobo, cooler and CPU, and I was at about $2500. The cost of the referb, with dual 10/20 CPUs, with 64gb and Win7 pro was only $950. Impossible to justify the new build at 2.5x the cost. Ah well. I was looking forward to the fun of building it.

Yeah the last couple of years I've gone the refurb route also, just way too much money for a full build in today's market.

This dual I'm putting together, is only a MB, Memory (32gig) & Power Supply (1300W) and I'm into it 1,100. The memory alone was $459.00 unshipped. I'm very glad I bought those processors a year ago when they were virtually giving them away...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Egilman View Post
    In my opinion that DW cooler should suit anything in normal crunchin. Handle it quite well in fact.... Just about any large mid tower to full tower can handle the board with plenty of room for good airflow. (space = cooling efficiency) I use Haf 932's and Rosewill Blackhawks for my builds. (for the last 7 years in fact)

I'm about to stuff an SM X10DAX into one of the Haf cases. (specs say it should fit but it's pushing it)

I think you will like the TR even with the wonky AVX registers
    What motherboards do you use to support 4 Tahitis?

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    What motherboards do you use to support 4 Tahitis?
    They are paired 7990's

Boinc reads them as 4 Tahitis..... Any decent board that will take two x16 cards.....

Gold Member

I've been building with Fractal Design cases for the last 4 years, most recently with a Define S. I think it's a great case! On this post, it's the one on the right: http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...l=1#post103727

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...eries/define-s

They have since released the Define C, which has a compartment for the PSU and hard drives like the NZXT S340. I like that style, it helps with cable management and hides the PSU, but it is a bit narrower so you end up with a 120mm rear fan vs 140mm on the S. I really prefer a 140mm rear exhaust fan; in my experience the 120mm doesn't quite cut it when you're running dual GPUs.

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...eries/define-c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast