Well that time of year came to do all the maintenance I've deferred for too long....

Took Blackhawk-3 down to clean the radiators and blow the dust out and other miscellaneous small issues. Two 7990's running on an Asus Crossfire V formula Z (990FX) with an FX 8350 and 8 gig of G-Skil.

After getting it all cleaned out, I reinstalled one of the cards (saving the other for the new build) and fired it up......

Watching the GPU monitor from afterburner after booting the temp on GPU #1 went straight to 104 degrees and shutdown. This is without Boinc running and took about 120 seconds. Shut it down and restarted to make sure. Computer in all other respects is normal. Boots fine, Drivers load normally. Swapped it out with the second card, same result. Flipped the bios on both the cards to the saved bios, same result.

Set them to one side.

Take down Blackhawk-2 for the same maintenance, same exact result! Upon re-installation, both cards go straight to 104 and shutdown. The only difference between the machines is that Blackhawk-2 is running on a Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 otherwise identical.

Swap cards/machines? same exact result.

Any Ideas before I conclude that they are done? I don't want to put any of the cards in the DP's and risk losing one of them.....

Last time this happened to me was last April, I lost 25% of my fleet, 5 GPU's and half the MB's.

Cards run fine till they reach shutdown.

Tried to log into bios, bios runs fine until the card reaches shutdown. (nothing obviously wrong in bios either but didn't have enough time to inspect deeply) Also this tells me it isn't a windows/software problem.

It is definitely hardware related.

Any ideas anyone? before I declare the cards trash?

WE are talking about the balance of my GPU fleet, 6 7990's 12 GPU's.