Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GPU HELP!!

JerWA

Re: GPU HELP!!

Fan on the card not turning is fairly troubling. That should be hard coded into the BIOS on the card, any time it has power on the PCB. Does it work if you put it back in slot 1?

Past Administrator

If switching PCIe slots gets that card working then check the BIOS settings for the PCIe slots. If there is nothing in BIOS to change, you could try connecting the two cards together with the SLI Cable.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Does he need a dummy plug for it to be recognized? I'm wondering the same thing when I get my hardware.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Gold Member

From what Max has told me, Nvidia cards dont need dummy plugs.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    From what Max has told me, Nvidia cards dont need dummy plugs.
    Correctamundo

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

yeah the fan should be turning whether windows recognizes the card or not. Bad slot possibly?

Silver Member

I just got home and I have to get up early so I got to goto bed I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ok I had the GTX280 in slot 2 when I started. I installed the 465 into the 1 slot tried to turn the computer on and monitor would not turn on so I removed the 280 and left the 465 in the 1 slot. computer booted up and worked. I turned it off reinstalled the 280 into slot 1 booted up but would not show the 280 card.

I have windows 7 32 bit

All your base are belong to us!

JerWA

Quote Originally Posted by aux9o View Post
    I just got home and I have to get up early so I got to goto bed I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ok I had the GTX280 in slot 2 when I started. I installed the 465 into the 1 slot tried to turn the computer on and monitor would not turn on so I removed the 280 and left the 465 in the 1 slot. computer booted up and worked. I turned it off reinstalled the 280 into slot 1 booted up but would not show the 280 card.

I have windows 7 32 bit
    Weird that it was working before and now won't. When the 280 is the only card, does the fan spin up in either slot?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aux9o View Post

I have windows 7 32 bit
    If both cards work, but won't work in a certain slot, you may have a bad slot, like what others said.

If that's not the issue, open your Nvidia control panel and make sure you activate multiple displays. Maybe someone else can give you better detail on this, but you need to make sure your desktop/screen is recognized by both cards...

Past Administrator

OK, wait a second. Can you get either card to work in either slot, if they are the ONLY card in the computer?
    Try this:
    Does 465 work in Slot 1 by itself? Does 465 work in slot 2 by itself?

Then try: 280 in Slot 1 by itself and 280 in slot 2 by itself.

Do all 4 of those scenarios allow you to get something on the screen when the computer turns on, or does 1 or 2 of those scenarios result in a blank screen? (Whether Windows works at this point doesn't matter; I'm talking can you see the BIOS boot up?)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast