Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum Boinc: Heatsink

JerWA

Re: Forum Boinc: Heatsink

That's a start at least!

You might be able to add fan(s), but you can't replace any (Dell uses proprietary fans with a sensor pin, a normal fan will throw an error and the system will complain).

Which system is it? Most Dells have a grill on the back but no fan there, and you can ziptie one in place. I did, made a huge difference hehe.

Past Administrator

Re: Forum Boinc: Heatsink

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I highly suggest not doing this, assuming you were serious. Who knows if there are capacitors inside that hold their charge? One wrong move could be deadly to the PSU and not very safe for the person screwing with it. If there's a warranty, you'll have to break the seal on a sticker that will definitely void it.

If you do do this, be very careful that nothing electronic touches anything else. You may not want it even getting close. You'd be amazed at how far something can arc. I was messing with a tv tube once, not a good way to learn a lesson.
    I was serious. I have done it on several occasions. The last time was during the Seven-Of-Nine build. An easy way to discharge the caps is to push and hold the systems power button for a few seconds with the PSU unplugged. I have opened many PSUs for cleaning and never had a problem.

The one thing I did not mention is that it is best to remove the PSU to do the work.

Also if the fan is blowing air out but is not doing so fast enough you can always upgrade the fan. The only real concern is matching fan type which a Yahoo/Google search can be of great help. The search should give you specs for CFM voltage and power draw.

Edit: Forgot to add that a CRT (used in items like a TV or pre-LCD monitor) need something on the order 30K Volts with a good deal of current behind it to generate AND control the electron beam. So yeah, they are dangerous, hence the reason for warning stickers on the back covers. A PSU on the other hand is not nearly so. Simple precautions make for easy handling.

Quote Originally Posted by JerWA View Post
    That's a start at least!

You might be able to add fan(s), but you can't replace any (Dell uses proprietary fans with a sensor pin, a normal fan will throw an error and the system will complain).

Which system is it? Most Dells have a grill on the back but no fan there, and you can ziptie one in place. I did, made a huge difference hehe.
    I have seen adapters for this situation. Try Frozen CPU or one of the other modding suppliers.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 04-12-11 at 06:15 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12