Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone running 2 WUs anymore?

Past Administrator

Is anyone running 2 WUs anymore?

So, just have to ask - with the new WU series and all from MW. Is anyone still running an app_info file to get 2 WUs simultaneously, and is this increasing the credit like it used to?
    I'm thinking I used to get more points/day out of my 5870...but maybe not, and I just crunched DNETC so long that I was used to better.

For the record, I'm "stock" application settings right now - no app file, and one WU at a time...you can see my output on my stats @ Free-DC.
    Although - it seems I might not be getting an accurate measurement because so much Collatz is going on. I have MW set to 100% and Collatz set to 0%, so it's only grabbing Collatz when it can't get MW WUs. And judging by how much Collatz I got today, MW availability must be quite intermittent for me.

Gold Member

Re: Is anyone running 2 WUs anymore?

Dont know about everyone else but I am running 2 WU's at a time with no app.

Past Administrator

Before ATI implemented full OpenCL support, I used to run 2 wu's on my single 4850 all the time. But after the newer drivers came out my card seemed to slow down as I noticed completion times were not quite as short as before. Also my GUI seemed more sluggish.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Has anyone found an answer to this? I'm going to update to the new .60 version to see if that helps, but my numbers are down on both my 4870 cards running 2 WU at a time.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Administrator

Yes you should run 2 wu at a time. It is more important now than it used to be because with the new app there is a significant dead time in between wu where the GPU goes idle.

If you go to the Number crunching forum on MW and look for Optimized Apps and follow the link you will find the new app with an app_info file. You change "count" to .5 just like on the old ones and it runs 2 wu .... .33 and it runs 3.

DO NOT try to use the p3 b-1 setting in the command line or it will error all wu!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    DO NOT try to use the p3 b-1 setting in the command line or it will error all wu!
    God Bless Gipsel...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Yes you should run 2 wu at a time. It is more important now than it used to be because with the new app there is a significant dead time in between wu where the GPU goes idle.

If you go to the Number crunching forum on MW and look for Optimized Apps and follow the link you will find the new app with an app_info file. You change "count" to .5 just like on the old ones and it runs 2 wu .... .33 and it runs 3.

I have an App_info file to run 2 at a time. Do they actually already have an optimized ap for MW?

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Before ATI implemented full OpenCL support, I used to run 2 wu's on my single 4850 all the time. But after the newer drivers came out my card seemed to slow down as I noticed completion times were not quite as short as before. Also my GUI seemed more sluggish.
    I ran into the same problem running 2 GPU's (4 running at a time)

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    I have an App_info file to run 2 at a time. Do they actually already have an optimized ap for MW?
    Optimized, no. But they have added in options to the code that you can change in the app_info file. So you can change settings to make the WU run faster...

Past Administrator

I don't much care if the screen gets sluggish, because the DrPop rig runs headless now! What I am curious about, is whether or not it's worth it to mess with running 2 WUs at a time any more? The HD5870 in there is definitely not pegged out like it was with DNETC, so maybe 2WUs at a go would make sense on that rig?
    Thanks for the help...just looking for more points for the team...we're headed in the right direction!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast