Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DrPop's Last Stand

Past Administrator

DrPop's Last Stand

Welcome to some photos of DrPop’s Last Stand.

This team has come a long way in the past year. This is my best effort – literally all I’ve got. I did it for all of us – to help show that we’re back and better than ever. That we're Up on our feet and swinging again. May we unite many a USA friendly cruncher to the cause. Long live The Team!

If I named all who helped me reach this level, I'd be naming nearly all on these forums, and I don’t want to bore everyone with all my sentimental feelings. However, a special thanks to my good friend Joker. Without you, I may have thrown in the towel for any “big crunching” after the fire on the DrPop rig. But, unsolicited, you offered to split your GPU power with me, and kept my RAC afloat. It was moral support more than anything else while I was trying to scrape together funds to rebuild.

Ah, what the heck. Can’t resist a quick shout-out to Beer & Fire$torm for all the encouraging PMs (Beer, hope you liked the package from the USA!) , and to Mike for your constant upgrades along the way that kept me inspired. Thanks to Teratoma who picked me to have a shot at this Admin thing, Hankey for all the help actually doing the Admin thing; And finally, to the entire crew here at SETI.USA (yes even Maxwell and the MM gang, LOL! ), and our friends from other teams who help us out - thank you for doing what you do day in and day out for science, for Country, and for The Team.
    Thank you to BOK for hosting, the encouragement to crunch on, and the dual Opteron mobo & CPU combos!
    So, here it is: the last few nights worth of craziness, and I’m all out now…for the moment, at least.

BOK sent me two older dual Opteron boards & CPU combos with the understanding that I would use it to help the team. We are doing our best to get an email server installed on the first rig so that the team may resume newsletter and email blast activities in the near future.

The first server rig we will call “DrBOK” for obvious reasons, and the second rig will be “DrKIM” in honor of my beautiful (and now long suffering) wife. I have moved them across the room and you can see in the first photo, both sets of keyboards and monitors on the large, black table in the back room of my office. In the next shot, you can see “under the hood” where both server rigs are running caseless on the ledge under the table.

DrBOK is running an ASUS K8N-DL , (2) dual core Opteron 275 CPUs, 3GB ECC DDR 400 RAM, 80GB HDD, 750W Thermaltake TR2 PSU, and EVGA GTX 465 SC GPU.

DrKIM is running an ASUS K8N-DL, (2) dual core Opteron 270 CPUs, 2GB ECC DDR 400 RAM, 80GB HDD, 650W Antec PSU, and Galaxy GTX 460 GPU .

In the next photo, the DrPop rig stands alone, now on the other side of the room. But not to worry, he’s not lonely… gave him a wireless card last night, so he’s all the rage now, bad and burly in that HAF 932 with a recently upgraded BFG 1KW PSU, the Phenom II X6 1100T, an HD5870 and GTX 460 inside, that’s one credit hungry dude lookin' at ya!
    And of course, you all know what Kat’s little pink and white computer looks like from last year…only now it’s sporting Joker’s HD5830 (on loan), and the 4870 is now in my bro’s rig (crunching on her account).

EDIT: And now…the dual Opteron rigs wait the touch of the Master of all Linux Masters…SETI.USA’s very own…Trigggl !!!
    He is in the process of compiling a Gentoo Linux build from scratch on both rigs remotely, from thousands of miles away. As soon as they come to life…there will be a nice credit increase for The Best Team in the West! Er…no pressure there…just take yer time, Mr. Trigggl.
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-21-11 at 05:06 PM.

Past Administrator

Re: DrPop's Last Stand

Very Very Cool indeed. It has occurred to me that the "Dr. Pipe Case" could be redesigned for both of those boards but I might be on the large side. Let me know if you want me to take a crack at it. It would look really sweet in shiny copper BTW - I found during the last run that they make RED copper. Now That would be Rad!

Crunch On Bro

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Looks like you could use a KVM setup so you could run 1 monitor, keyboard and mouse for the 2 computers. Or you could get a 4 port and run 4 boxes off of 1 keyboard, mouse and monitor......or a bigger one to run more boxes. Have to think of down the road.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Advisor - Stateside Division

Glad I can help out. Very cool that you got them both up and running. You've already got an email server when you installed linux unless you severely limited the install!

Try it

mailx -s "test mail" <youremailaddress>
    <enter>
    This is a test
    CTRL-D
    CTRL-D

Can't believe you have everything so neat and tidy. My main windows machine is sitting next to me here on my desk in a wire basket right now! My servers are all neatly tucked away though with their own UPS's and such.

EDIT @C303A, I think DrPop intends to run the linux boxen headless as he should, just need ssh and probably a good dose of 'screen'

Past Administrator

Thanks for all the nice comments, I appreciate it. Yeah, planning on running these headless and all - the monitors and keyboards are hooked up right now so I can help trigggl (more like get in his way) if he needs it while doing the install.

Can't wait to see these bad boys hum!

Steve Bohlen

One word:

Awesome

Gold Member

I don't see any GPU's in those things.

Gold Member

Leave it to Joker to want more....Give him some time. I'm sure that eventually GPU's will appear out of nowhere.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    Leave it to Joker to want more....Give him some time. I'm sure that eventually GPU's will appear out of nowhere.
    hehehe...yeah maybe I should have circled 'em and put big arrows pointing at them in PhotoShop so he'd know they were there.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    hehehe...yeah maybe I should have circled 'em and put big arrows pointing at them in PhotoShop so he'd know they were there.
    Are they 5xxx or 6xxx cards?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast