Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple questions about adding another GPU

A couple questions about adding another GPU

So currently I have a GTX 560 (1gb) GPU in my rig and I would like to increase my GPU crunching power.

But first to clarify, adding an additional GPU will increase my computers GPU crunching speed/ability correct? As in will I be able to run say for example, two GPUGRID tasks simultaneously? Or are the cards seen as one super card that just computes tasks faster?

If an additional card will increase my GPU crunching capabilities, I will probably end up getting another of the same card, to keep the option for SLI capabilities open. But out of curiosity can you run two different cards effectively?

Thanks for any input, my current research hasn't turned up much!

Tomis

Re: A couple questions about adding another GPU

Quote Originally Posted by shralper View Post
    So currently I have a GTX 560 (1gb) GPU in my rig and I would like to increase my GPU crunching power.

But first to clarify, adding an additional GPU will increase my computers GPU crunching speed/ability correct? As in will I be able to run say for example, two GPUGRID tasks simultaneously? Or are the cards seen as one super card that just computes tasks faster?

If an additional card will increase my GPU crunching capabilities, I will probably end up getting another of the same card, to keep the option for SLI capabilities open. But out of curiosity can you run two different cards effectively?

Thanks for any input, my current research hasn't turned up much!
    I think it will be another task meaning you can now run 2 task at the same time. Also I believe it is recommended to use cards of the same type.

Cruncher Pete

Whilst it is recommended that you use two the same type of GPU's there are ways of overcoming this if you can not. (like not using it in SLI or Crossfire mode. For example, in one of my machines I have an ATI 9870 and an NVIDIA980 installed. This gives me a way of crunching three GPU WU's. Not all projects handle the work the same however. DNETC will not run seperate units, it will crunch 2 WU's together rather than individualy.

Gold Member

As said above, you can run more then 1 gpu in the same computer. I have run 3 different gpu's in the same one at the same time. The biggest problem is the heat issue. There is also an item you have to put in your config file. I don't know what that is but someone will.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

What i'm currently pondering doing is keeping my GTX 560 and upgrading to a GTX 570 to have running along side it. From what I've been reading on the GPUGRID board the GTX 570 seems to be a pretty solid card. Apparently the problem with the 560 is that only 2/3 of the cards CUDA cores can be utilized. Anyone have thoughts on this idea, or another card to suggest?

Past Administrator

Actually, that will work pretty good, I mean you can use two different cards to crunch at the same time; they do not need to be matched. Of course, it all gets down the question of cost - bang for the buck - and all that in the end.

But very cool! You will start flying with two of those monsters.

As it stands now i'm going to purchase a GTX 570 in the next few weeks once my budget will alot for it. No more gas station coffees haha. Then I'll run the GTX 570 and 560 along side each other. But for now I have plenty of time to research the different 570 manufacturers, while further looking into if the 570 is the best purchase. I'll post anything my further research digs up. Anyone care to share their opinions on the GPU market?

valyn42

Hi shralper,

Bought two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ab=true&Page=3 back in June, and they have been great! Looking on Newegg, it looks like they have one that is a later revision for $315 after Mail-in rebate. Looks like there are a couple cheaper, but the fans on these are quiet and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by valyn42 View Post
    Hi shralper,

Bought two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ab=true&Page=3 back in June, and they have been great! Looking on Newegg, it looks like they have one that is a later revision for $315 after Mail-in rebate. Looks like there are a couple cheaper, but the fans on these are quiet and effective.
    That does look like a great card, I really like how that card has the three fans on it and the wind force cooling feature sounds pretty slick. I am a little apprehensive about gigabyte products in general though because of some pretty bad things I've read about their customer support.

How's it handle things like GRUGRID and distregen?

The card I'm currently looking at is from EVGA:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130595

It's stock overclocked and only cost ten dollars more than the non overclocked version. The main selling point are the positive reviews, and a lifetime warranty.

Also looking at this from ASUS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121432
    Last edited by shralper; 10-08-11 at 01:50 AM.

valyn42

Never dealt with EVGA, but if their warranty is truly a lifetime warranty, I don't see how you could pass that up. That ASUS is a BEAST. Hope you have a BHC to put that in if you get it. Big Honkin' Case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast