Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Linux + Blu-Ray combo?

Past Admin

Re: Which Linux + Blu-Ray combo?

OK. As I read this, I only have a problem if I use opensource OS and player..Correct?

My version of PowerDVD is 9. I canīt tell which version though, as Cyberlink HP just says "OEM" under members section.

I find it kinda "f....king annoying" that when you purchase a rather exspensive BR optical drive, the embedded software aint worth shit. And even if you register at the vendors HP it still messes with the computer...

If I remove PowerDVD from my computer it will run without a hickup for hours and hours...But if I install it, I canīt even watch a movie...And there is no alternative for seeing by legally paid movies
    How in the world can you be in business on the basis of that????

I am not going to spend 99$ for the PowerDVD 11 Ultra just to play my movies...I would rather just sell all the movies and be done with it. I am not going to support such madness! I migth even go all the way, and just install Linux anyway. DVD movies, photos and music should play rather nice on that - and I would have a good stabil system......

Maybe I just gave myself the answer
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post

Maybe I just gave myself the answer
    This would be part of the reason I don't particularly watch many movies. I hate supporting that industry and all their crap. Of course, I do watch a few every now and then, but not often.

I would call up Cyberlink and give them a little idea that they need to help you get that thing working. If it came bundled with your Blueray drive, then they are obligated to make it work. HP is paying them $$$ to bundle their software. You are the end user and should get support from them.
    It may even mean that they have to comp you on an upgrade to a newer version - whatever it takes, but don't let them get away with it. If the physical drive works, then it's not HP's fault...it is Cyberlink's. And they need to get that software running as advertised, because they were already paid for it.

Gold Member

This is why I steal everything.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    This is why I steal everything.
    Is that what you call "Forced Shareware"?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12