Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Project - A Sequel

Past Administrator

The Project - A Sequel

Like Johnny 5 I need input.

I sent out a couple of PMs earlier and could still use more help. So here goes....

Code Name: Project-002

Hardware
    MB: GigaByte GA-P55-UD6 - Courtesy of Beerdrinker

CPU: ??? ($$$)

RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 - 6GB or Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 6GB

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB

GPU: ??? ($$$)

Csae: Custom (by yours truly). Either an open case made from 1/4" copper tubing or a full tower from one of the local pre-owned resellers which I will mod like crazy.

I will be looking for used items as long the price is substantially lower.

Core i3 vs. Core i5.

For crunching which series gives the best bang/$?

I've been informed that there is no clear cut distinction between the two and what I've read so far hasn't shed a whole lot of light on the matter. Also note that the quad cores are way outside my budget so I will not consider any of those for this system.

I have in my searches found a new i5-655K (unlocked multiplier) for around $110 w/o HS. Is it worth the money?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: Because of this new build I will eventually (Not today) have to give up one or two of the "Team Systems" currently in my possession. I will post it in the "Giveaway" thread when this project nears completion.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Re: The Project - A Sequel

BTW: Because of this new build I will eventually (Not today) have to give up one or two of the "Team Systems" currently in my possession. I will post it in the "Giveaway" thread when this project nears completion.
    NOT SEVEN!!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    NOT SEVEN!!
    Errr, hmmmm.... HELL NO!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Errr, hmmmm.... HELL NO!
    Whew!!! Thought you were breaking up with her already. The honeymoon is over!!! Crunch or be replaced.

Past Administrator

I would go HERE and on the right under CPU Product Benchmarks, put the lower end one you're looking at on the top, and the higher end one you're looking at on the bottom, and click View Comparison.
    Note the MULTI-threaded benchmarks toward the middle and bottom of the list, as that is where the difference will be with BOINC. There may not be much difference in single-threaded apps, but running Multi-threaded apps like BOINC, (look at the R10 Multi-threaded benchmark for instance), there will be a very large difference.

So, my vote would be on the i5, but that's just because. Obviously, you can only do what you can do...which is what I'm finding out due to R.L.

JerWA

The problem with most benchmark charts like that is they don't take overclocking into account. Not an issue if you don't plan to overclock of course, but if you're budget shopping then overclocking should be something you're at least considering.

PS: There are very few multi-threaded apps in BOINC. AQUA is the only one I know of off the top of my head, but I think one other project was playing with them as well?

Multi-threaded benchmarks are an easier way of gauging the "total" capability of a processor though, so still useful for getting an idea of how two would compare when running BOINC apps. Like "is the fast 2 core better than the slow 4 core."

It's just that BOINC is typically just running multiple instances of a single threaded app, not running an actual multi-threaded app. Though, really when you get down to it, all of them are multi-threaded but the vast majority are single process but that's a whole different rabbit hole.

Anywho, point being, most of the apps are going to limit themselves to a single core (logical or physical), so per-core performance matters. But, since it's unlikely that a) you'll be shopping two procs so far apart in capabilities that fewer faster cores will be able to compete with more slower cores in terms of BOINC, and b) running apps that are 100% efficient, more cores still wins the day (even if they're "fake" like with hyper-threading).

Past Admin

I would say: Go with whatever CPU you can afford. Thatīs how I do it. Itīs better with a working computer, instead of getting all worked up over a CPU one gotta save for...

I am really looking forward to your build!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Update:

After doing some thinking and clearing out the grey matter smoke I came to the conclusion that I did not want to spend time and energy modding a case. In the end it will cost the same as a half decent new case. Started looking for cheap cases and discovered these two Thermaltake cases.

Thermaltake V4 Black Edition VM30001W2Z

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z.

The V4 I can get at Micro Center for $39.99 before rebate or for the same price I can get the V3 from NewEgg with promo code EMCKFHB37 and free shipping before rebate. I'm leaning towards the V3 since I won't be doing water cooling.

I will have some additional stuff ready to go on eBay soon. So I should have more cash when that's all said and done.
    I will hold of on a HDD since I have a usable PATA drive that Maxwell sent me awhile back. I might try using a USB setup with Dotsch/UX and avoid the HDD altogether.

I had a line on a Sapphire 4850 x2 but that is up in the air at the moment.

This thing we do is never as easy as it should/could be......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Yeah, I've been giving your latest build some thought as well.
    I came to the conclusion that you might be best off getting the cheapest used CPU you can for that socket - whatever it is, even a small dual core one. The reason I'm saying this, is that a LOT of enthusiasts will adopt the 2nd gen i7 "sandy bridge" CPUs over the next 6 months, and you will probably be able to pick up a SWEET deal on a very high -end i7 CPU at that time on Ebay.

So, spending very little on a CPU now, will enable you to get a BIG GPU on line for the credits, and then we can all help pitch in a little for BIG i7 CPU later down the road when they get "cheap" on the used market.

If you're looking at those cases - please take a look at the Cooler Master Elite 430 as well. I looked at all those for my Bro when we built up his rig recently. He could not fit a big case where he's putting the rig, but wanted room for 2 big GPUs in it. This one fits the bill nicely, because the way it's laid out inside is accommodating for the full length dual GPUs - even a 5970 will fit in there, and the case is not that big!
    We got his for $39 at Fry's. Just a thought.

EDIT - I should make myself more clear. What I mean is, take a look at the side shots on the Thermaltake cases, down in the bottom right inside, where you put the HDDs. Notice how that area is straight in line with the back of the upper bays, where you put the DVD ROM. Now, take a look at the side view of the Cooler Master Elite 430. Notice how the bottom right bracket area for the HDDs cuts in, toward the front of the case, and doesn't stick out as far. This allows additional room for the GPUs. That was the deciding factor for us, after looking at all the cases in this size / price range, because you can literally throw any GPU at that case and it will fit. Also, the 120MM fan slot in the side is spot on, right over the GPUs (I think both brands do this well, though.)
    Not saying the TT cases aren't any good - they make good stuff. Just thinking in terms of long-term flexibility for GPU crunching.
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-29-11 at 02:31 AM.

JerWA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147144

Just some thoughts. Both 4 eggs, with several hundred reviews.

Edit: Or maybe the baby HAF? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233

Or this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133181
    Expensive, but big mail-in rebate puts it back down in the $50 crowd.
    Last edited by JerWA; 04-29-11 at 03:18 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast