Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Project - A Sequel

Past Administrator

Re: The Project - A Sequel

Quote Originally Posted by JerWA View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147144

Just some thoughts. Both 4 eggs, with several hundred reviews.

Edit: Or maybe the baby HAF? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233

Or this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133181
    Expensive, but big mail-in rebate puts it back down in the $50 crowd.
    Thx for the suggestions.
    I was looking at the baby HAF because I really like it. Just cannot justify the price. Still need to buy CPU, PSU and RAM. So I to skimp where I can.
    The Rosewill Blackstone is oooogly..... The Destroyer is nice, The TT Armor looks cool though the Baby HAF beats it in style. Still they all are more than budget allows. That might change if the 4850 x2 falls through. The problem there is I'm not sure how long it will take to get my money back.....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Just to put my 2c. You can always upgrade your CPU later for crunching the cheapish one will do. You wont win at PrimeB but you can certainly use that money for other parts. I will say that a fast duel would be better for every day things but if you want a chance at the big AQUA credits 4 core's will be required.

I also have a hard time with expensive cases, the 2 you show look pretty descent, but you want the biggest space for the dollar. You will have a hard time with any new video cards in a small case, its possible but you will be running warmer.

I did some Excel work and the 80% PSU's are worth it for 100 bucks look into the 1000w that DrPop is running if you don't have one.

Good ram is important if your going to be doing any over clocking. It took me a long time not to skimp on the ram but it made so many less errors in the long run. How many times have you seen ram stability issues?
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

JerWA

I used to do cheap cases too. The HAF 922 I'm using now is the most expensive I've used on a system by a healthy margin. Unfortunately, I'm never going back lol. It's so nice having room, and places to hide cables, and not getting cut every time I put my hand in the case.

Maingear started making a 180mm self contained water cooler. I don't think there's any way to buy one by itself yet (or maybe ever). But if they do go on sale, my 2600k system is totally going in a Silverstone Fortress and I'm gonna put the 180mm water cooler on the inside fan. Should be sweet.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...se-review.html

http://www.maingear.com/epic/index.php

Past Administrator

Update:

First: With some help from DrPop last Saturday to fill the shortfall in my checking account (Thanks to that screwball on eBay), this is now on its way to my house.

Cooler Master HAF 912

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know I said I couldn't justify buying it but with the help from DP and the rebate being offered for it, well I just HAD to get it

Second: Do to a unforeseen circumstance, DrPop's brother had his 4870 go toes up on him while flashing its BIOS. Being unable to revive the card, he has decided, thanks to DP, to send it to me. If I can successfully play Dr. Frankenstein then that card will become part of the new build. So thank you DrPop and DrPop's Brother.

Third: Today while checking my eBay auctions, I discovered that Mr. Screwball had decided this morning to refund my money for the 4850 x2 he never sent. He also never sent any replies to my emails nor an apology after issuing the refund. (The words I want use here would get me permanently band from this forum).
    So with that and a touch of finagling (ex. Hiya Sis....) I had enough for.....

Antec Neo Eco 620C

Deciding factors, its an Antec, it had a rebate offer and its an Antec. Hopefully if it can handle the extra load I will transfer one of my 4850s to the new build. My room has been getting mighty warm lately and its only the 2nd of May!

So now the list looks like this:

MB: GigaByte GA-P55-UD6 (In Transit from Beerdrinker)
    CPU: ???
    PSU: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W (Ordered)
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) CMX4GX3M2A1333C8 (Need to Acquire)
    HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax D540X 40GB (From Maxwell)
    GPU: ATI HD 4870 (From DrPop's Brother) / ATI HD 4850 (Transferring from Desktop, Maybe)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 (In Transit)
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 05-03-11 at 11:11 AM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Update from my part:

You can now write board in transit also. Went to the postoffice this afternoon. Postage were around 33$ which I am happy to donate for the good of the team!!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Update from my part:

You can now write board in transit also. Went to the postoffice this afternoon. Postage were around 33$ which I am happy to donate for the good of the team!!

Thank you Beer. I am shocked that shipping would cost that much for a MB. That is just insane.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    ... shipping would cost that much...That is just insane.
    As we discovered when trying to figure out how to get you my full HAF, LOL!

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Update from my part:

It was about half that when I sent you the 2 boards but remember where Beer is sending it from. Long distance for sure. Great job putting this all together.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    It was about half that when I sent you the 2 boards but remember where Beer is sending it from. Long distance for sure. Great job putting this all together.
    Oh I understand the distance thing but it just seems like Corporate Piracy to me. Well, who am i kidding? IT IS PIRACY.

As to Project-002, that is sooo true, everyone that is helping deserves a huge round of applause. You guys are simply AMAZING!!!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    I did some Excel work and the 80% PSU's are worth it for 100 bucks look into the 1000w that DrPop is running if you don't have one.

Good ram is important if your going to be doing any over clocking. It took me a long time not to skimp on the ram but it made so many less errors in the long run. How many times have you seen ram stability issues?
    Sorry. Somehow I missed this post. Oooops

For the PSU there is a plan. As I posted before I'm getting the Antec 620C for now. At some point in the future it will be replaced with a 750-850 unit. Then the antec will replace the POS Tuniq in my server/cruncher. And finally I might use the Tuniq in Seven-Of-Nine. I cannot bring myself to give the Tuniq away because I do not wish to push this POS on someone else.

Now onto the memory. The few times I have OC RAM I have never had a problem because I have always installed Corsair XMS RAM in all my main system builds. Me thinks Corsair RAM rocks!!!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast