Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Project - A Sequel

Past Administrator

Re: The Project - A Sequel

Crud, I didn't notice that I listed the wrong GPUs. Odin has 2x 4850s. I put the 5830 & 8800GT in my 730x desktop.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

AWESOME build there my friend.

Congratulations on the new pc!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Well done, Sir! Thanks for all your hard work, the team will benefit greatly as always.

Nice work sir!

I love that big box fan you have in the picture!
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    Nice work sir!

I love that big box fan you have in the picture!
    Hahaha. I need it there because the heat generated from those two boxes sorta lingers since where they are kept, right next to a cloths storage cabinet to the left and the house water heater to the right, doesn't have a lot of air flow. I only need to run that fan on low.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Hahaha. I need it there because the heat generated from those two boxes sorta lingers since where they are kept, right next to a cloths storage cabinet to the left and the house water heater to the right, doesn't have a lot of air flow. I only need to run that fan on low.
    Hey...if you have them THAT close to the water heater, water cool them, plumb them into the water heater and turn the water heater off. You'd still always have hot water! J/K LOL

After thinking about that statement for a moment, it actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. At 60c a graphics card is generating 140f temps. That is hot enough for you to not want to keep your hands in it for more than a few seconds (10 or so). That is plenty hot for the average person. At 82c (180f), the temp is now scalding hot and you definitely don't want to put your hand in it at all. Siphoning off that heat and storing it in a tank for later use could save a person a bit of money over time by reducing your gas or electric bill.

There are already systems in place with proven results with solar water heating. Controlling the water flow, temp, pump and any valves that are required would be a simple breeze for any computer to control with perhaps a dash of added hardware for interfacing to the rest of the system.

Though using heat generated from graphics cards may take longer to heat the water in a full size water heater, the heat they are generating now is just going off into the air and useful for nothing except for making you run your AC to help stay comfortable.

Why not store that heat away and use it again at a later time? I know from living in an RV for over 5 years, that a person can have hot water every day from just the pilot light of the water heater itself. It takes most of the night to heat a cold 10 gallon water heater with just the pilot light, but in the morning there's enough hot water to get a shower and do a couple dishes.

Oh NO! Help me, I think I've gone SANE!

I do see one drawback however, in that, the line pressure of a typical household is much higher than that of what a water cooled computer would be, which could very likely be the obstacle that makes the whole idea a no go

OH NO, I AM SANE! I just realized that with a heat exchanger, one could use the very low pressures of the computer water system to transfer the heat to a high pressure water system and they would be isolated from each other thus avoiding the pressure differential problem. I am a self proclaimed genius!
    Last edited by YoDude9999; 06-13-11 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added another after thought
    Yo-

Past Administrator

LOL, your sanity is hysterical......

In general terms, a whole house energy reclamation system is long over due. Sure the initial cost is higher, but long term, the savings and reduction of the environmental impact would more than justify the higher cost to build it.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude9999 View Post
    Hey...if you have them THAT close to the water heater, water cool them, plumb them into the water heater and turn the water heater off. You'd still always have hot water! J/K LOL

After thinking about that statement for a moment, it actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. At 60c a graphics card is generating 140f temps. That is hot enough for you to not want to keep your hands in it for more than a few seconds (10 or so). That is plenty hot for the average person. At 82c (180f), the temp is now scalding hot and you definitely don't want to put your hand in it at all. Siphoning off that heat and storing it in a tank for later use could save a person a bit of money over time by reducing your gas or electric bill.

There are already systems in place with proven results with solar water heating. Controlling the water flow, temp, pump and any valves that are required would be a simple breeze for any computer to control with perhaps a dash of added hardware for interfacing to the rest of the system.

Though using heat generated from graphics cards may take longer to heat the water in a full size water heater, the heat they are generating now is just going off into the air and useful for nothing except for making you run your AC to help stay comfortable.

Why not store that heat away and use it again at a later time? I know from living in an RV for over 5 years, that a person can have hot water every day from just the pilot light of the water heater itself. It takes most of the night to heat a cold 10 gallon water heater with just the pilot light, but in the morning there's enough hot water to get a shower and do a couple dishes.

Oh NO! Help me, I think I've gone SANE!

I do see one drawback however, in that, the line pressure of a typical household is much higher than that of what a water cooled computer would be, which could very likely be the obstacle that makes the whole idea a no go

OH NO, I AM SANE! I just realized that with a heat exchanger, one could use the very low pressures of the computer water system to transfer the heat to a high pressure water system and they would be isolated from each other thus avoiding the pressure differential problem. I am a self proclaimed genius!

Suddenly I see a whole new series of jokes from Jeff Foxworthy. "You might be a {high-tech} redneck if..."

Past Administrator

Actually, I've been talking to my Dad about this the last couple weeks. My folks are still in Alaska, and after the last oil price spike like 3 years ago or whenever it was, they got one of those outdoor "giant wood stove" contraptions as big as a small utility shed, that you throw a ton of wood in, and it smolders in there for days...the hot water pipes run to and from it, through insulation sleeves and into the house where it flows through baseboard style radiators with fins and heats the whole house. Not only that, but they have it hooked up to a certain kind of hot water heater with a heat exchanger built in. There is some kind of circuitry that kicks the hot water heater itself off and on based on the temp of the water flowing into the house from that outdoor wood stove. The system is really stable, there is something insane like between 100 to 200 gallons of water in the whole thing.

Now, if you just replaced the "wood stove" with computers . . . primarily GPUs, now we're talking! I did the math. To equal the Wattage output of a new electric tankless "on demand" hot water heater, you would need at least 5 rigs with (2) GTX 590's in each one...or some equivalent of 10 DUAL GPU boards...or 20 normal GPUs. Certainly doable, but when I get the money for that size of a place to live, and that utility bill per month...well, ya'll be the first to hear about it! hehe...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop
    Now, if you just replaced the "wood stove" with computers . . . primarily GPUs, now we're talking! I did the math. To equal the Wattage output of a new electric tankless "on demand" hot water heater, you would need at least 5 rigs with (2) GTX 590's in each one...or some equivalent of 10 DUAL GPU boards...or 20 normal GPUs. Certainly doable, but when I get the money for that size of a place to live, and that utility bill per month...well, ya'll be the first to hear about it! hehe...
    BUT....You are speaking of a full house water heater used under everyday circumstances, yes?

And I wasn't talking about using GPUs to REPLACE the heat generated by a water, only to enhance it some by storing the GPU heat for later use. The water heater can still run normally as use requires, but during those time when everyone is at work, school or whatever, while the GPUs are running they could be heating the water also, thus saving on the gas/electric bill. After all, the heat generated by GPUs IS electricity spent already, why let it go to waste if it can be stored away?

Say for instance, one was to connect just a 10 gallon, "under sink" water heater to a GPU fed water system, having that 10 gallons already heated and ready for use would be great for lowering the electric/gas bill as most people only do dishes once or twice a day. Thus saving on the demand of the, "regular" water heater to supply the necessary hot water.

I think some experimentation should be done.....Does anyone think this is a BAD idea?
    Yo-

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast