Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MOO Wrapper Switched to granting static credit

Past Administrator

Re: MOO Wrapper Switched to granting static credit

OK, hmmm...I would have expected a 5870 @900MHz to get more than what it has so far today...wonder if something is wrong?
    Looks like I'm hitting about 3 credits / second. Avg Moo! WU takes 1050 seconds and gives 3150 credits. ~259K per day if that average holds. Little bit above MW, but not as high as DNETC. Sure, we'd love 10K per WU, etc, who wouldn't?

But...in all seriousness, they need to go to 4K / WU to hit DNETC stuff. How do we tell them that? It's pretty optimized code, and you can feel the heat our GPUs are taking a beating for this.

Administrator

I ran 4 wu through my 5870 @950 yesterday and it appears the daily run rate would be 307k. That compares to about 240k per day on MW. I didn't have any issues with temp but I did have to run the fan up to 80% to keep the card in the 70s.

The current credit level is 14% below the old DNETC level which paid 8.05 credits per stat unit versus the current 7.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I ran 4 wu through my 5870 @950 yesterday and it appears the daily run rate would be 307k. That compares to about 240k per day on MW. I didn't have any issues with temp but I did have to run the fan up to 80% to keep the card in the 70s.

The current credit level is 14% below the old DNETC level which paid 8.05 credits per stat unit versus the current 7.
    Did you look at the reported GPU time for your calculations? I was looking at wall clock time versus GPU time, which is more relevant for an estimate of daily credit. The reported GPU time was usually around 850 to 900 seconds, and wall clock was 1260. I'm running with dual cores and it's just not efficient enough, when compared to Milkyway and wall clock times.

Dan

One other note: Running Moo in CF by itself, I was seeing one full core (25% CPU on an i7) being used to run Moo.
    Last edited by dan; 05-14-11 at 05:54 PM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Not bad? I was racking up 2.5 - 3 MIL a day on my 6970's (4 of them) until today.
    I saw that you had 630K yesterday on Moo? Was that with all 4 6970s? I'm running two 5870s and got 362K on Milkyway. Just wondering if that was the case, cause it suggests Milkyway is better for points than Moo.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Did you look at the reported GPU time for your calculations? I was looking at wall clock time versus GPU time, which is more relevant for an estimate of daily credit. The reported GPU time was usually around 850 to 900 seconds, and wall clock was 1260. I'm running with dual cores and it's just not efficient enough, when compared to Milkyway and wall clock times.

Dan

One other note: Running Moo in CF by itself, I was seeing one full core (25% CPU on an i7) being used to run Moo.
    With regards to CPU, I reserve 1 full core (not thread) for the GPU.

Yes, my calculations are based on "wall time" not reported time. On the single 5870 the project actually reports wall time accurately. On dual cards or more what is shown is NOT wall time so you have to look inside the stderr report to get the actual time.

My 5970 (also w/ 4 wu done) projects to 565k/day running at 900 MHz versus 440k on MW.

The only machine that doesn't do better on Moo than MW is my 5970/5870 computer. That is because the wu with odd numbers of packets lets 2 GPUs sit idle while the 3rd one finishes the packet. The BEST configuration by far is a single GPU!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    With regards to CPU, I reserve 1 full core (not thread) for the GPU.

Yes, my calculations are based on "wall time" not reported time. On the single 5870 the project actually reports wall time accurately. On dual cards or more what is shown is NOT wall time so you have to look inside the stderr report to get the actual time.

My 5970 (also w/ 4 wu done) projects to 565k/day running at 900 MHz versus 440k on MW.

The only machine that doesn't do better on Moo than MW is my 5970/5870 computer. That is because the wu with odd numbers of packets lets 2 GPUs sit idle while the 3rd one finishes the packet. The BEST configuration by far is a single GPU!
    I'm running two 5870s so I probably will do best on Milkyway. I'll run a full day on both to be sure. That is if they are finally done messing with it.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    A little. This is why I usually don't tell people about new projects.
    It's too bad that new projects are so screwed up. I'm sensitive about it, cause like most here, developing systems is what I do for a living. I hate spending a day at work with systems that don't work right only to come home and get jerked around by some amateur, that didn't do any planning, testing or preparation before releasing a project like Moo.

Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    I saw that you had 630K yesterday on Moo? Was that with all 4 6970s? I'm running two 5870s and got 362K on Milkyway. Just wondering if that was the case, cause it suggests Milkyway is better for points than Moo.
    Yeah, that was running all 4 of them. I don't think it was for a full 24 hour period though. I pulled them off the project because they were getting too hot for my liking. They keep tinkering with the workunits and I seriously doubt they have a clue as to what they're doing. I'm not going to let them burn up my cards.
    Last edited by Shadow; 05-14-11 at 07:55 PM.

Past Administrator

If it's honestly as simple as replacing the "7" in their formula with an "8", does anyone here know anyone over there, so that we can tell them please - if you're going to pound our GPUs this hard, then up the credit to the 8, so that it gives us DNETC like credit?

Thanks...I just can't figure out why this is so hard for them if it's just changing a single number. Maybe there is more to it that I don't understand?...

Shadow

A few people have mentioned that the credits are still too low compared to DNETC. Apparently this Teemu guy doesn't get it. I'm back on it for now, at least til I get the 25 Mil MM. We're in 2nd place for top teams on the project. He's threatening to release another new version soon. Don't know if that's good or bad.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast