Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible New System

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Possible New System

What do yall think of this for a crunching rig? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.513237

Pretty soon, I should have some extra $$ to build a new rig. Trying to get the most bang for my buck. I already have a case, all the optical drives, and a 430w PSU. Case could be replaced if needed, but I would prefer not to.

Platinum Member

Re: Possible New System

Not sure what your budget is, but if you can add in a few more bucks, I have one suggestion:

Sub out the video card in that deal and add in this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129163

Should run off a 430W PSU, (underclock the RAM to help save power), and will allow you to crunch MW (unlike the card in that combo pack).

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

My budget is gonna be around $500.. Shipping and all.. This is several months down the road yet (around tax return time), just getting some ideas for right now. Might be able to spend more.. Depends on what I get back... And how sweet I am to the wife between now and then lol!!

That's a sweet video card.. Does no one like nVidia GPU's? Or has ATI surpassed them in bang/buck ratio, like AMD has with Intel?
    Last edited by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]; 10-30-10 at 01:15 AM.

Past Admin

If this is a dedicated cruncher setup...I would build it myself...Go cheap board, and cheap AMD X2 / X3/ X4 CPU and the strongest GPU you can afford...That would give you the most CS..

Platinum Member

Without upgrading your PSU, a NVidia card will get you ~15k/day, and that 4850 will get you ~80k. So yeah, ATI cards will kick the pants off NVidia cards in terms of credits. The price you pay is that fewer projects have ATI apps.

When you get closer to pulling the trigger on this system, post again to see if we can get you a better video card in your budget range...

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    If this is a dedicated cruncher setup...I would build it myself...Go cheap board, and cheap AMD X2 / X3/ X4 CPU and the strongest GPU you can afford...That would give you the most CS..
    It will be a mostly dedicated cruncher.. I want to go cheap.. But I also want some room for expandability later down the road.. Right now, I'm just sounding out some ideas..

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Without upgrading your PSU, a NVidia card will get you ~15k/day, and that 4850 will get you ~80k. So yeah, ATI cards will kick the pants off NVidia cards in terms of credits. The price you pay is that fewer projects have ATI apps.
    Seriously? the credit difference is THAT high?! Wow. Not just looking to build a crunching rig tho.. Pieces will probably be a dedicated cruncher at that time, but the new one will be my "everyday" rig.. Mostly crunching, with gaming and stuff in the mix here and there...

When you get closer to pulling the trigger on this system, post again to see if we can get you a better video card in your budget range...
    Absolutely will do that.. Just sounding out ideas to give myself a direction to do some research in right now

Thanks for the input!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA] View Post
    Seriously? the credit difference is THAT high?! Wow. Not just looking to build a crunching rig tho.. Pieces will probably be a dedicated cruncher at that time, but the new one will be my "everyday" rig.. Mostly crunching, with gaming and stuff in the mix here and there...
    That's the rig I just built (without the gaming aspect). And yeah, the difference is that high. Definitely go the ATI route - gaming will be great, and credits will be better.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

That's the rig I just built (without the gaming aspect). And yeah, the difference is that high. Definitely go the ATI route - gaming will be great, and credits will be better.
    Good deal. Thanks for the info Are you running Intel or AMD for a CPU? For a long time, I've preferred AMD over Intel because of the bang/buck factor..

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA] View Post
    Good deal. Thanks for the info Are you running Intel or AMD for a CPU? For a long time, I've preferred AMD over Intel because of the bang/buck factor..
    I'm rocking an AMD x6. I wanted 6 physical cores, and $300 was cheaper than $1000...

And FYI the ATI cards make great gaming cards too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast