Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible New System

Swordfish

Re: Possible New System

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA] View Post
    And how sweet I am to the wife between now and then lol!!
    Time to make a list of everything she likes and doesn't like. You're married, you know the rest...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
    Time to make a list of everything she likes and doesn't like. You're married, you know the rest...
    Probably shouldn't include a dishwasher...

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I'm rocking an AMD x6. I wanted 6 physical cores, and $300 was cheaper than $1000...
    Only $300 for a 6 core?! I may have to try to see if I can finagle my way into one of those

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    No need.. We already have a dishwasher... She's almost 12 years old!

Gold Member

HEY!

As for the 6 core, well under $300! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103849

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA] View Post
    No need.. We already have a dishwasher... She's almost 12 years old!
    There were three boys in my family and my dad used to say "I've got three of 'em!"

Kaoticevil - is this to repace your dual core rig? Win 7 will be a lot snappier once you replace the Gpu alone.
    Just a thought...if you want a snappier Win7 experience & tons more points, you could just get a 5870 for $299 and call it good for a while.

Is there any specific programs or computing stuff you're looking for a boost in?

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    There were three boys in my family and my dad used to say "I've got three of 'em!"

Kaoticevil - is this to repace your dual core rig? Win 7 will be a lot snappier once you replace the Gpu alone.
    Just a thought...if you want a snappier Win7 experience & tons more points, you could just get a 5870 for $299 and call it good for a while.

Is there any specific programs or computing stuff you're looking for a boost in?
    It will sorta replace the dual core.. The wife will inherit it, as she does all my computer hand-me down, at which point it will be running LinuxMint.

Win7 Ult actually runs REALLY well on this dual core, even with the onboard GPU. Aero runs, and is really smooth, no complaints about it, that's for sure! I gotta say tho, I'm thinking about dumping PG on this rig for a little while, and trying out AQUA. See what my credits look like there...

As for specifics, nothing really in particular. Just an all around bad-a$$ rig. Something that will keep me running for a few years, until I can replace it and build a new one

Past Administrator

Ok, that makes sense. If you're after credits, you can see by what just happened in the dual with Joker - it's all about the GPU power.
    So...I'd go with less of a CPU and more GPU if that's what you want. That is also true now for lots of CAD and Photoshop work, because the latest versions all use the GPU to accelerate renderings.
    If you had a specific program in mind, however, we could see what the ratings were on different CPUs to give you a ball-park chip to shoot at cost wise. For cost/performance you typically want to go with the third chip down in the lineup. Current examples of this would include the 5830, the X6 1055T and the i7 950. All are the "third chip down" in their respective lineups. Now, there are faster out there - but buying those are never the "best bang for the buck!" Now gee...how would I know THAT? hehehehe

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Ok, that makes sense. If you're after credits, you can see by what just happened in the dual with Joker - it's all about the GPU power.
    So...I'd go with less of a CPU and more GPU if that's what you want. That is also true now for lots of CAD and Photoshop work, because the latest versions all use the GPU to accelerate renderings.
    If you had a specific program in mind, however, we could see what the ratings were on different CPUs to give you a ball-park chip to shoot at cost wise. For cost/performance you typically want to go with the third chip down in the lineup. Current examples of this would include the 5830, the X6 1055T and the i7 950. All are the "third chip down" in their respective lineups. Now, there are faster out there - but buying those are never the "best bang for the buck!" Now gee...how would I know THAT? hehehehe
    I'm really thinking about going high-end with the CPU/mobo/RAM for now.. And then upgrading the video further down the road... Usually ends up being the most affordable option, in my experience.. Besides, if I've got a high-end CPU/RAM/mobo, it's easy to add a new video board to squeeze more longevity out of a rig, know what I mean?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12