Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2GPU vs 3GPU...Cases...Decisions

Past Administrator

2GPU vs 3GPU...Cases...Decisions

Man, I am torn. What I need now is a case with 8 slots (at least) in the back, so I can run the 3 GPUs in the DrPop rig without having it naked on my table.

However, I am seeing the reality of a 3GPU rig is not all that glorious when it's all said and done. A LOT of heat output going on.

So...I'm wondering if I should just save up the $ I would spend on a good HAF-X or something (not an insignificant amount!), and then sell some of my smaller GPUs I have purchased, and get a HOG GPU or two for the DrPop rig, throw it back in the HAF-932, and be content with that.

I am starting to come to the realization (I think) that fewer, bigger GPUs are better than lots of smaller ones. Any comments for me on this from the rig builders here?

Gold Member

Re: 2GPU vs 3GPU...Cases...Decisions

If you need someone to pawn off a smaller GPU to...

I may have the ability in a month or so.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

I want a 460!

Past Administrator

Alright, thanks guys. Good to know there are possibly some takers for the regular size GPUs I have now, if I decide to go that route.
    Trig- knowing your affinity for Gentoo, I suppose you want a CUDA board as well, right?

What say the big rig builders around here? Is the fewer but more powerful GPUs the best way to go?

Platinum Member

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post

Lol! With a response like that from JPM, I suppose I need to think on this one for a bit. Let me hold off on the decisions until after the Pentathlon, and I can try the DrPop rig with matched set of 3 GTX 460's - that will probably be a lot more manageable on the heat.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Lol! With a response like that from JPM, I suppose I need to think on this one for a bit. Let me hold off on the decisions until after the Pentathlon, and I can try the DrPop rig with matched set of 3 GTX 460's - that will probably be a lot more manageable on the heat.
    I guess the thing that would help the most is explaining exactly what your issue with the heat is. If it's about the amount of heat going into your room, then i'll have to refer you back to my last post If it's about the temperature of your computer parts, get a HAF X

Past Administrator

Yes, it is the temp of the cards I am concerned with! The HD5870 is bouncing around 91C as we speak...I do not like them to run so high. Much cooler when I was running 2 GPUs in the HAF 932 instead of 3 GPUs laying open on a table.

Platinum Member

This was something I faced a while back... so let me explain my thought process so you at least have another perspective.

Back in the days of building the Silver Hammer, I was figuring whether to go many GPU, or Big-and-Few GPU, very similar to what you're thinking. I had a computer at work that had two 5870s in it in adjacent slots, and dealt with a lot of heat issues. I had read enough on the boards to know heat was going to be one of my big issues. Bryan was also studly enough to loudly proclaim the HAF-932 to be awesome.

So HAF-932 would get me enough airflow to cool big cards, even with OC'ing. I got a Mobo with an extra slot between the PCIe slots to help with cooling. With the extra space, things would be cool. Operating under the KISS principle, 2 cards is easier to manage than 3, so I went with two. With limited PCIe slots, I went big, rather than bulk. The rest of my hardware could handle two big cards. Big may not have been the most economical choice (I actually refuse to do the calculations, because I don't want to know the answer), but it got me more credits/slot than anything else. Hindsight being 20/20, I don't regret the decision.

That was my train of thought. Also notice that JPM went big with the Maxwell Spanker...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    That was my train of thought. Also notice that JPM went big with the Maxwell Spanker...
    Yes. But it depends what his final goal is. I went big for the purpose of increasing the credits/slot. That's the most important factor. You only have X number of slots, so make the most of them.

But...let's say DrPop's goal/budget isn't to make a 3mil credit/day machine. Then buying up 460s and filling his slots with them still gives very nice credit returns for a lower price. As soon as he converts those GPUs into just 2 that are more powerful, that empty slot is going to be staring at him, begging to be filled. I still have 2 open slots myself and they poke me in the shoulder everyday and say, "Hey! What about me?".

I've never had a HAF 932, so i dunno. But the HAF X has a 230mm fan that feeds a 120mm fan which is inside of a duct that cups around your GPUs, forcing air to them. Then there's another 200mm fan on the side that feeds air to them from the other direction. And this is all fresh, ambient air. Again, not sure about the HAF 932, but the HAF X doesn't even allow the PSU to draw intake from within the case. It draws in air through the bottom of the case and shoots it right out the back.

Also has spots for 2 200mm fans on top and 1 140mm exhaust fan on back.

Also, i only use 2 of the HAF X's 5.25" drive bays, so i stuck a 140mm intake fan in there (They are the perfect width to fit between the drive support braces).

Positive pressure is your answer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast