Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2GPU vs 3GPU...Cases...Decisions

Platinum Member

Re: 2GPU vs 3GPU...Cases...Decisions

I understand the limitations of the HAF 932's slots. But! Since the GPU you'll be putting in the last slot doesn't vent out of the back of the case, it doesn't matter if it overhangs into the "ghost" 8th slot. The vent isn't needed, except on the Galaxy which would be in the 1st slot anyway.

I apologize that i forgot to mention this point sooner

Edit: just to be clear, i'm not saying you should remove the vent or in any way mangle the slot bracket. Just let it overhang.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 05-16-11 at 02:28 PM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    OK, wait a sec, it seems there is some miscommunication on my end some how.
    1. I like that HAF 932 case, I was using it with 2 GPUs, and would still be using it, but I can't fit 3 GPUs in there. This is because the case only has 7 expansion slots in the back, and to run 3 GPUs on my mobo (or any mobo that has 2 slot spaces between GPU1 and GPU2, you MUST have a case that has 8 or more expansion slots in the back.

I wish I had realized that before I bought this case and mobo, etc...but I pieced it all together as I got the money, and didn't realize it all until the end.

2. My decision is: either only run 2 GPUs in the HAF 932, get a new case so I can run 3 GPUs (HAF -X), or . . . could get a new mobo that smashes the GPUs together, but I kind of like the idea of having a bigger space between card 1 and 2 like I do now.

I hope that makes more sense?
    That was a silly thing to do

Sell 2 cards and replace it with 1. Economically that would be the cheapest(460's going for $100 bucks = $200 570 at newegg on sale $310 on about 4 models). Mobo would be 2nd cheapish unless you wanted one that was more then 200 bucks. You could just sell one and not have to change anything else.

Or do what JPM said
    Last edited by Dandasarge; 05-16-11 at 02:37 PM.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    ...But! Since the GPU you'll be putting in the last slot doesn't vent out of the back of the case, it doesn't matter if it overhangs into the "ghost" 8th slot. . . i'm not saying you should remove the vent or in any way mangle the slot bracket. Just let it overhang.
    NOW you tell me!!! hehe...I must have been misunderstanding the whole crew here because I couldn't see how I was supposed to try running it like this. Well...to think I could have saved all that time of taking the components out and putting them back in, etc. I will have to try that overhang idea and see if it works!

Past Administrator

Ah, figure I rather do some horse trading around and see my HAF-932 in action. Very tight fit with 3rd GPU, doing "ghost" 8th slot; right on top of PSU, so I'd rather not for now. I used a GTX 460 and GTX 465 for it tonight. It sure is a nice case; pity to just have it sit there! GPU temps are much cooler with that giant side fan, ya know.

Pics: Click on thumbnail for larger image.

Diamond Member

I could drive that to my house and park it there. It would be very happy at my house.

Duke

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Ah, figure I rather do some horse trading around and see my HAF-932 in action. Very tight fit with 3rd GPU, doing "ghost" 8th slot; right on top of PSU, so I'd rather not for now. I used a GTX 460 and GTX 465 for it tonight. It sure is a nice case; pity to just have it sit there! GPU temps are much cooler with that giant side fan, ya know.
    Ah i didn't realize you PSU was so close to the bottom slot. Was difficult to tell it would turn out that way from the pictures on coolermaster's site. Just put one of these in the last slot and that'll solve all your problems

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Ah i didn't realize you PSU was so close to the bottom slot. Was difficult to tell it would turn out that way from the pictures on coolermaster's site. Just put one of these in the last slot and that'll solve all your problems
    Wow!! What a card..

Past Administrator

Thanks for the link - wow, very cool, a single slot 580!

I think though, what I will do is get a different style mobo for 8 core Bulldozer when it comes out, so I can do 3 GPUs on it in the HAF 932.

Then, I will transfer the current 6 core Phenom II setup to a new case with at least 8 expansion slots in it - maybe HAF-X, and run 3 GPUs in it.
    That would give me "capacity" for 6 GPUs plus the Twins...

How does that sound for a battle plan? I need to start saving like...yesterday! LOL!

Silver Member

Yea stop goofing off and build one of these.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...g-machine.html
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    Yea stop goofing off and build one of these.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...g-machine.html
    I didn't even know you could DO stuff like that! Yeah, OK...scratch my previous agenda. DrPop rig can stay right where it is or go to Kat...I'm building one of those next!
    Hmmm....the thought did occur to me, though - you could actually do that without melting the table down by building a big manifold and hooking up to water blocks on every GPU...now that there's a thought!

I wonder if they will make any 6 PCI-e slots for Bulldozer? I can just hear Kim now, "What ya need the whole table for this time?" "Oh, nothin', honey!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast