Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pissed

Silver Member

Angry I'm Pissed

My little brother got a new desktop and I'm pissed about it. I'm not jealous or anything but I'm pissed at the manufacture and have once again been reminded while I'll never buy a pre built system again. He spent $1,000+ on getting a new HP saying that manufactured systems cost less than builds. There is a reason for that though, it's because they give you the bare minimum hardware required to run the customers desired specs. That 3TB HD he was boasting about, you guessed it, they gave him a WD Green drive! He doesn't seem to care about using what was meant to be a storage/backup drive as his startup disk but I know I sure do! Then there's his PSU. He bought the system intending to install GTX 460 after he got it. When I went to install it for him I saw exactly what I expected, the bare minimum. There was only one, six pin which was connected to the card that we were replacing, but we needed two. There were also no four pin HD connectors anywhere in sight. Also the PSU met the minimum wattage exactly meaning not only lost PSU efficiency (there was no 80+ cert sticker on it any way) but increased blowout risk and heat issues. Not to mention the fact that PSUs lose output ability over time. So he's gona have to buy an after market PSU for it. Besides, I'd trust quality after market parts more than the cheap parts PC manufactures use any day. Also it seems his CPU is under powered. He's got an 3.6 GHz I7, but I don't know the core type though. Any way there is only one four pin connector on the board instead of two. Now we all know if we want the most out of our CPUs we should allow it access to more power than it needs with a good PSU and two four pins. In his case HP gave him the bare minimum so he has no chance of pushing its limits. And thats why I'm pissed, he paid tons of money only to get skimped off in small but critical areas.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Silver Member

Re: I'm Pissed

I know the feeling, I work in an office full of dells, I don't think one could handle a Video Card..
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    I know the feeling, I work in an office full of dells, I don't think one could handle a Video Card..
    Word.

I am replacing a Dell computer at this moment because it just cannot support the video surveillance system that I am building.

The solution? I built a computer with 4 year old parts that can hold 8x SATA drives and it even supports four DDR2 memory slots which the Dell only had 2.
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Past Administrator

Yeah man, I feel your pain. All the mass market companies are just POS junk pushers and pimps. Puget Systems is a rare exception. But they don't spec out hardware to reduce costs and quality.

I hope your brother has learned from this? You know, he could always sell it on eBay and start from scratch.........

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Can he return it? I believe he should have a 30 day window, "No questions asked" where he can just give it right back and say... "Here". Take your junk, thank you.

Ahhhh...thanks for the reminder that all the late nights tinkering are so worth it in the end!

Past Admin

I'm sure you pointed this all out to him. He should pack it up and take it back if that is an option.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Yeah man, I feel your pain. All the mass market companies are just POS junk pushers and pimps. Puget Systems is a rare exception. But they don't spec out hardware to reduce costs and quality.

I hope your brother has learned from this? You know, he could always sell it on eBay and start from scratch.........
    He hasn't learned anything! He's perfectly happy with the trash heap regardless of what I say. He still doesn't get why manufactured systems are cheaper, a classic consumer.
    Cruncher Status

Quote Originally Posted by Aux10 View Post
    He hasn't learned anything! He's perfectly happy with the trash heap regardless of what I say. He still doesn't get why manufactured systems are cheaper, a classic consumer.
    Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? It helps calm me down when I get upset about the lack of emotion among the "average consumer".
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Gold Member

Did you mom drop him on his head when he was a baby??

Classic movie!!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Did you mom drop him on his head when he was a baby??
    No, but he was born a month early through a c-section due to pregnancy issues.
    Cruncher Status

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast