Page 101 of 145 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1447

Thread: Individual Milestones 6: New Site, New Thread

Gold Member

Re: Individual Milestones 6: New Site, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    My problem is, except for my 4-core desktop [Phenom 9650 @2.3 GHz], my other cores belong to very over heating prone laptops and very slow/old single core machines. The laptops [one loaned out] have OK cores but tend to over heat to the point they shut themselves down. Even with external fans to help the air flow, they still overheat every day or two. I do not want to burn them out. The desktops are slow P4 or P3 type of machines that do very little towards my daily credits. So only my 4-core desktop is running, with several extra internal fans and an eight inch whole in the side of the case where a fan [now dead] was located. I run 64-bit Ubuntu on that quad, and keep it lower than 90% CPU usage to help with the heat and help me do my other work at the same time.
    Lol, I'd say you've got some great work out of those old machines. The laptops can be cooled a bit by making sure the bottom has more space for air as the battery heats up a lot. I've heard that putting a small baking pan underneath acts as a good heat sink since baking pans conduct well.

Is the Nvidia giving more credits than ATI? Do you find more projects for Nvidia than ATI? I would like to find an up-to-date list of GPUs that would work, since my current list is well over a year old and most of the cards are no longer made.
    Here is the team's gpu compatibility list on the forum Home page.

http://www.setiusa.us/content.php?11...atibility-List

Until I get more good/powerful cores or a GPU card, I will be CPU-only crunching on this default desktop.

I am still hosting a 2-core team machine, which is under my desk, since I have free utilities in my handicapped housing. So if I do get any better machines, I do not have to worry about power. Heat, on the other hand, is a real problem over the past month. Sometimes I can barely keep the place cooler than 90 degrees [outside temps have been on-and-off records] even with an air conditioner going full blast. Can run more cores in the winter, since I can turn down the heat and let the desktops heat the place.
    I hear you, it's hard to go all out in the summer. It's great to crunch, but you may want to pull back some. Health comes first.

Platinum Member

15k at Cosmo.

Silver Member

Ding !! 20 million in DNETC@HOME. My second.

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    -> Krackedpress: Very impressive crunching there!! Are you actually still running one of the original "SETI.USA Cluster pc´s"???
    Yes, it is under my desk that I am sitting at right now.

Every so often I make sure the vents are clear of cat hair and I use canned air to clean off/out the CPU fan and heat sink, plus any dust bunnies in there that are hiding from my cat.

That XP64Box [dual core Pentium D @ 3.4GHz running XP Pro 64-bit] has been running "The Riesel Problem", FreeHal, and WUProp@home, for as long as I can remember. I do not even remember when I received it from one of the team members. A year ago? More? Having free electricity, except the yearly air conditioner fee, works out great when you have several desktops/laptops, 3 printers, router and hubs, plus all the normal electronics people have in a 1 bedroom place.

Right now that cluster machine has crunched 1,050,000 credits, with the cluster "user" at 1,865,000 credits. That machine does about 2,500 daily running that PG project. My 4-core does about 14,000 daily running PPS Sieve, so that dual core might do 5K-7K. I do not remember the password to switch projects, but it is running an account manager [Bam?] so if I did change projects, it would affect other cluster machines. I do not know if "the cluster people" are running Riesel for a reason [like a past contest]. If so, I would not want to be the person to switch projects on them.

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    POST #1000!!!

Also passing 700.000 on Primaboinca withing next couple of days!
    I am at 214,600 and I have been running it on-and-off since April 6th of this year.

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Lol, I'd say you've got some great work out of those old machines. The laptops can be cooled a bit by making sure the bottom has more space for air as the battery heats up a lot. I've heard that putting a small baking pan underneath acts as a good heat sink since baking pans conduct well.

Here is the team's gpu compatibility list on the forum Home page.

http://www.setiusa.us/content.php?11...atibility-List

I hear you, it's hard to go all out in the summer. It's great to crunch, but you may want to pull back some. Health comes first.
    No baking pan, since it could hold the heat and reflect it back to the laptop. I had my laptops on 1" high foam blocks only under its feet pads and had a 6 inch fan blowing from back to front. The dual core DELL still kept being hot to the touch at the side of the touch pad square. The old HP single core AMD64 seemed to keep a cool case, but it kept crashing and I find the heat vents pumping out really hot air. That old HP is being borrowed by a friend who laptop died. The DELL is my Windows computer, for those times I need to run a Windows package, or testing out some newer free Windows software. I prefer Ubuntu now and that is what is running on my desktop that I am typing this on.

Being disabled [wheelchair most times when outside my apartment] and having meds that make heat and cold worse, keeping me in a proper temp range and air quality for my breathing issues [my cat as ashma as well], it can be a problem when it is too hot or too could outside to go to the places you need to be at. Actually I tell people that since I no longer am able to do much physical volunteering, my computer does it for me through BOINC.

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    15k at Cosmo.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    I have not run Cosmology@home for several months now.
    So I just selected it to run.

I am at 13,020 credits. This is one of my lowest credit project.

Maybe I will run it till I break 20K or 30K?

Gold Member

Ding! 25M in PG, should open that slot after update now.

Cruncher Pete

What is happening with Chimichango's credits? His RAC is 3,485 yet he is up and down in Millions. He is up 60Million again today just on an update. Fun and games it seems with a project that seems a repeat of Aqua. Is DA got a hand is this again?

krackedpress

What is the badge order, with numbers, for PG?

I have 20,000 and 2,000,000 badges for Sieve and the 10,000 for LLR projects. 12 projects badges total

sr2sieve_321_bronze.png sr2sieve_pps_amethyst.png

Is there a badge for 200,000 for Sieve and 100,000 for LLR, or will I have to wait for the 1 million and 2 million marks?

I wonder if it is worth switching PG projects to push sole of the others past the 200,000 mark. It would be if there was a badge at that level.

321 Sieve is nearest to 200,000 with 190,323 credits, with TRP Sieve at about 125K.

Page 101 of 145 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast